- Today’s main news: U.S. Coinbase withdrawals are being delayed. Gemini to offer Litecoin trading. Crypto regulations could take 2 years to pass in UK. Hong Kong considers new rules for crypto exchanges. Bithumb trading booms.
- Today’s main analysis: Crypto hedge funds beat BTC/ETH 80/20 split.
- Today’s thought-provoking articles: Bitcoin jumps $10B in market cap. Crypto market maintains balance. ETH grows 11%. ETH pushes above $200 key resistance. The role Malaysia plays in cybercrime.
- Coinbase withdrawals take up to a week. Does this signal financial trouble for the exchange after huge market losses this year compared to last year’s gains?
- Crypto hedge funds offer alpha. This is an interesting analysis, but it comes across as a sales pitch for Eurekahedge.
- Gemini to offer Litecoin trading. This should boost both Litecoin and Gemini exchange.
- Litecoin turns 7 years old.
- Grayscale’s Digital Large Cap Fund to accept new investors.
- Ripple talking with Trump Administration.
- XRP voted best digital currency below $1.
- Dogecoin to seek Coinbase listing.
- AARP says Bitcoin is used mainly be criminals and speculators.
- CFTC chair says institutional investment will benefit cryptocurrencies.
- Former Trump advisor joins Spring Labs as advisor.
- Why Bitcoin jumped so high in a few hours. This occurred early this morning.
- The crypto market maintains balance. An excellent analysis.
- ETH grew 11% in short time. Investors should realize the crypto markets are volatile and there will be huge swings.
- Cryptocurrencies lost $18 billion during last week’s plunge.
- Overview of top 5 performing cryptocurrencies.
- XRP and SWIFT partnership.
- Crypto thieves on track to steal $1 billion this year.
- Mastercard seeks patent for blockchain partitioning technology.
- Maersk, IBM partner on blockchain for shipping.
- Ethereum price analysis: ETH hits key $200 resistance. According to CoinMarketCap, it sits at $209.31 as of publication.
- Vitalik Buterin says he’s not a billionaire.
- Constantinople upgrade stalls on testnet.
- Vitalik Buterin regrets using term “smart contracts.”
- Binance Labs invests in 3 blockchain projects this month.
- Bitcoin is maturing, study says.
- How The Netherlands is blazing a blockchain trail.
- European Blockchain Partnership is serious about distributed ledger technology.
- SIX partners with blockchain inheritance platform.
- HK securities regulator considers new rules for crypto exchanges.
- Bitfinex hits record high on ETH shorts.
- Bithumb hints at Hong Kong launch.
- Alphacat adds XRP real-time forecasting engine.
- Cryptocurrencies boost Chinese entrepreneurs on wealthiest list.
- Bithumb trading booms after sale.
- The role Malaysia plays in cybercrime.
- Crypto exchanges in India not doing so well.
- Unocoin to launch crypto ATMs in India.
- Unregulated crypto exchanges handle 97% of criminal Bitcoin flow.
- Thailand police arrest crypto scam kingpin.
- Manny Pacquiao crypto could launch this year.
- PlasmaPay launches crypto payment system.
- United Kingdom: Regulations could take 2 years to draft.
- Uganda: Binance Uganda opens for deposits, withdrawals.
- Guatamala: Bytecoin says it’s in active communication with Binance.
- Canada: AION gains 17%.
- Seychelles: Top cryptocurrencies on October 14, 2018.
- Nigeria: Coinfirm to fight crypto fraud.
- Ukraine: Cryptocurrency is fueling the future.
- Canada: Crypto startup not responsible for $62,500 Bitcoin ATM scam.
- Colombia: Cryptocurrencies to be used for groceries.
- Cayman: Epoch Partners Limited launches public offering of crypto and digital assets fund.
- Venezuelans to use Petro for passport fees.
- Zambia: Crypto is not legal tender.
- United States
- Coinbase withdrawals delayed by as much as 1 week (CoinGeek), Rated: AAA
- Barry Silbert’s Digital Large Cap Fund Looks To Capitalize On Coinbase’s Index Fund Closure (Bitcoin Exchange Guide), Rated: A
- Dogecoin could be listed on Coinbase, Core developer hints on a Coinbase submission (Blockmanity), Rated: B
- Seeking Alpha In Bitcoin Or Ethereum? Try Cryptocurrency Hedge Funds (ValueWalk), Rated: AAA
- Gemini Crypto Exchange Ready to Offer Litecoin Trading (Use the Bitcoin), Rated: AAA
- Happy Birthday, Litecoin! LTC Turns 7-Years-Old (CryptoSlate), Rated: A
- Ripple in the Talks with Trump’s Administration (Ethereum World News), Rated: A
- Ripple’s XRP Voted as the Best Digital Currency to Purchase Below $ 1 (Coin Idol), Rated: A
- AARP Tells Retirees that Bitcoin is Mainly Used by ‘Bunch of Criminals’ (CCN), Rated: A
- CFTC Chair Says Institutional Investment Will Benefit Cryptocurrencies (Cryptoslate), Rated: A
- Gary Cohn Has Joined a Blockchain Startup as an Adviser (Bloomberg), Rated: B
- Bitcoin Has Leapt Sharply Higher — Here’s Why (Forbes), Rated: AAA
- Crypto Market Keeps Its Balance After Recent Sell-Off, Bitcoin Above $ 6,300 (CoinTelegraph), Rated: AAA
- Cryptocurrencies Said to Lose $ 18 Billion During Market Plunge (Newsmax), Rated: A
- Ethereum [ETH/USD] Technical Analysis: 11% growth stumps bears, bulls take control as investors rejoice (AMBCrypto), Rated: AAA
- Overview of the top 5 crypto performers (The Oofy), Rated: A
- Ripple, XRP, and the SWIFT partnership (AMBCrypto), Rated: A
- Cryptocurrency Thieves On Track To Steal Over $ 1 Billion In 2018 (Forbes Middle East), Rated: A
- Why Mastercard’s Multi-Blockchain Might Be a New Step in the Patent Race (CoinTelegraph), Rated: A
- Maersk and IBM Team up to Deliver Blockchain to the Shipping Industry (BlockTelegraph), Rated: B
- European Union
- Ethereum Price Analysis: ETH/USD Jumps Above Key $ 200 Resistance (NewsBTC), Rated: AAA
- Ethereum (ETH) Founder Claims He is Not a Billionaire–Should We Care? (Ethereum World News), Rated: A
- Ethereum’s Constantinople Upgrade Stalls on Test Network (CoinDesk), Rated: A
- Ethereum Co-Founder Vitalik Buterin Claims to “Regret Adopting the Term Smart Contracts.” (Cryptoglobe), Rated: B
- Binance Labs Invested in 3 Blockchain Projects this Month (CoinGape), Rated: A
- Bitcoin is Maturing, Crypto Growth Surprisingly Positive Reveals Study (NewsBTC), Rated: A
- How The Netherlands Is Blazing A Trail Through The Blockchain Scene (Forbes), Rated: A
- The European Blockchain Partnership Finds Europe Getting Serious About Distributed Ledger Technology (CoinTelegraph), Rated: A
- SIX Digital Exchange partners with blockchain inheritance platform (Swiss Info), Rated: B
- United Kingdom
- Cryptocurrency Regulations May Take 2 Years for Lawmakers to Draft (CCN), Rated: AAA
- China/Hong Kong
- Hong Kong’s securities regulator mulling over new rules for city’s cryptocurrency exchanges (SCMP), Rated: AAA
- Bitfinex Exchange Sees Record Highs For Ethereum (ETH) Short Positions (Bitcoin Exchange Guide), Rated: A
- Bithumb’s new chief hints at Hong Kong launch (The Investor), Rated: A
- Alphacat adds Ripple (XRP) realtime forecasting engine to ACAT store (NEO News Today), Rated: A
- Cryptocurrencies Boost Chinese Entrepreneurs On Wealthiest List (Use the Bitcoin), Rated: A
- Bithumb Trading Booms after Sale, Outpacing Even Binance (Cryptonews), Rated: AAA
- Bitcoin (BTC), Ethereum (ETH), XRP ATMs Launch In India To Bypass RBI Ban (Ethereum World News), Rated: AAA
- Bitcoin Exchanges Shutdown in India Due to Regulations, Pivot to ATMs (NewsBTC), Rated: A
- The Surprising Role Malaysia Plays In Cybercrime (Unreserved Media), Rated: AAA
- Unregulated Crypto Exchanges Handle 97% of Criminal Bitcoin Flow (Inc42), Rated: A
- Thailand Police Finally Nabs Kingpin in Popular Cryptocurrency Scam (Ethereum World News), Rated: A
- Boxing Legend Manny Pacquiao’s Cryptocurrency Could Launch This Year (CCN), Rated: A
- PlasmaPay launches new cryptocurrency payment system (Cryptoninjas), Rated: B
- Eastern Europe
- CRYPTOCURRENCY FUELING A NEW FUTURE FOR UKRAINE (Bitcoinist), Rated: AAA
- Latin America
- ‘We are in Active Communication with Binance,’ Says Bytecoin (BCN) Team (Ethereum World News), Rated: AAA
- Cryptocurrencies Will Be Used For Groceries in Colombia When Rappi Launches (BlockTribune), Rated: A
- Venezuelans To Use the Petro Cryptocurrency to Pay for Passport Fees (Use the Bitcoin), Rated: B
- Aion Price Gains 17% as Binance Confirms Token Swap Support (NullTX), Rated: AAA
- Crypto Startup Ruled Not Responsible For $ 62,500 Bitcoin ATM Scam (Ethereum World News), Rated: A
- Fiat-to-Crypto Exchange Binance Uganda Opens for Deposits and Withdrawals (Digital Journal), Rated: AAA
- Top Cryptocurrencies October 14th, 2018 (Cryptoblockwire), Rated: AAA
- Blockchain Startup Coinfirm Aims To Fight Crypto Fraud In Nigeria (ETHNews), Rated: A
- Bitcoin [BTC] and other cryptocurrencies are not a legal tender in the Republic of Zambia (AMBCrypto), Rated: B
- World’s First Public Offering of a Cryptocurrency and Digital Assets Related Fund Goes Live (PR Newswire), Rated: AAA
Coinbase withdrawals delayed by as much as 1 week (CoinGeek), Rated: AAA
It would appear that Coinbase, the San Francisco-based cryptocurrency exchange and wallet provider, is slow to respond to customer requests. Specifically, requests to withdrawal funds. According to a report in CryptoGlobe, sources have told the media outlet that U.S.-based customers are having a difficult time making withdrawals, with some reporting delays of up to a month.
According to the article, only the U.S. customers are affected. The issues apparently impact all of the platform’s assets and have been reported for as long as two weeks. The delays are reportedly not seen on Coinbase’s institutional platform, Coinbase Pro.
Barry Silbert’s Digital Large Cap Fund Looks To Capitalize On Coinbase’s Index Fund Closure (Bitcoin Exchange Guide), Rated: A
Grayscale’s Digital Large Cap Fund will be accepting these new investors that were not able to rely on Coinbase’s services.
Dogecoin could be listed on Coinbase, Core developer hints on a Coinbase submission (Blockmanity), Rated: B
Ross Nicoll, one of Dogecoin’s core developer, hinted in an exclusive interview with Blokt, about the team’s plan to get Dogecoin listed on Coinbase. According to him, ever since Coinbase relaxed its listing criteria, Dogecoin team has been considering to apply for inclusion. They plan to submit Dogecoin in the near future but can’t say whether Dogecoin would be listed.
Seeking Alpha In Bitcoin Or Ethereum? Try Cryptocurrency Hedge Funds (ValueWalk), Rated: AAA
However, performance data shows that in a down year, investing in those two cryptocurrencies via hedge funds seems to offer slightly better performance than a passive investment in a portfolio consisting of 80% bitcoin and 20% ethereum. Interestingly, cryptocurrency hedge funds were able to generate alpha against all the benchmarks they were compared to.
This year the bitcoin price was down about 49% through the end of August, while the ethereum price was down nearly 62%.
It’s no secret that hardcore crypto fans have had a tough time this year. The bitcoin price was down nearly 50% through August, while the ethereum price was down almost 62%. The passive 80/20 BTC/ETH portfolio compiled by Eurekahedge has lost more than 60% through the end of August.
Gemini Crypto Exchange Ready to Offer Litecoin Trading (Use the Bitcoin), Rated: AAA
The popular virtual currency Litecoin (LTC) will be available for trading on the Gemini cryptocurrency exchange. The information has been released by Eric Winer, VP of Engineering at Gemini.
Those interested users are able to deposit Litecoin into their Gemini account since October 13 at 9:30 am EDT. Trading services will start on Tuesday, October 16 at 9:30 am EDT.
Happy Birthday, Litecoin! LTC Turns 7-Years-Old (CryptoSlate), Rated: A
Litecoin, one of the first and most well-known altcoins, is celebrating turning seven years old on Oct. 13. Litecoin, a peer-to-peer cryptocurrency released under MIT’s MIT/X11 license, was an early fork of the Bitcoin Core client.
Ripple in the Talks with Trump’s Administration (Ethereum World News), Rated: A
Cory Johnson – new Chief Market Strategist at Ripple for eight months now, in a recent interview with BreakerMag added that a division from the crypto-San Francisco based firm is in regular discussions with Trump’s administration.
When asked about the administration’s research on Ripple’s products and crypto in general:
There’s clearly a lot of homework going on. The White House in particular seems to be thinking about what it means to have 80 percent of bitcoin mining taking place in China and a majority of Ether mining taking place in China. When you look at XRP, there is no mining, so from a foreign-control aspect or from an environmental aspect, XRP is a very different beast. And in conversations we’ve had with the administration, they seem to get that and think that might matter.
Ripple’s XRP Voted as the Best Digital Currency to Purchase Below $ 1 (Coin Idol), Rated: A
A recent poll by Weiss Ratings indicated that the Twitter community deems Ripple (XRP) at the best opportunity to invest in a token below $1.
5,726 Twitter users took part in the survey, indicating the positive feeling of the ecosystem towards this contentious digital currency, that lacks a good reputation in the crypto landscape because of its implicit philosophy.
Among the 4 alternatives provided, Ripple topped the rest with 64% of votes, followed by Cardano (ADA) which had 25%. In third place, there was Stellar Lumens (XLM) with 8% and lastly IOTA with just 3%.
The American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) has ascribed a bizarre definition to bitcoin in a caustically worded article on its website published on Wednesday, Oct. 10. In the slideshow post titled “Improve Your Financial Literacy With This Glossary,” a heavy dose of contempt is specifically reserved for the description of bitcoin and blockchain in their respective slides, while other terms like “emerging markets” and “exchange-traded funds” are defined using regular financial language.
The post reads:
“Bitcoin: A bunch of computer code that a bunch of criminals, idealists and speculators agree is worth ‘real’ money. Sadly, its real-money value swings widely, making it impractical except for criminals, idealists and speculators.”
CFTC Chair Says Institutional Investment Will Benefit Cryptocurrencies (Cryptoslate), Rated: A
U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission chair J. Christopher Giancarlo stated he believed the recent uptick in institutional investors could help cryptocurrencies “mature” in an interview with Fox Business on Friday morning.
Gary Cohn Has Joined a Blockchain Startup as an Adviser (Bloomberg), Rated: B
Gary Cohn, the former chief economic aide to President Donald Trump and president of Goldman Sachs Group Inc., will serve as an adviser to blockchain-technology startup Spring Labs.
Bitcoin Has Leapt Sharply Higher — Here’s Why (Forbes), Rated: AAA
Bitcoin, which just last week had its first major sell-off in months, has this morning jumped almost 10%, powering the world’s largest cryptocurrency back above $6,500 after it looked likely to fall below the psychological $6,000 mark late last week.
Bitcoin leapt from $6,222 earlier today to early highs of $6,732, according to CoinDesk data, adding almost $10 billion to bitcoin’s market capitalization in a matter of minutes. On some exchanges, including the Hong Kong-based Bitfinex exchangewhere bitcoin often trades at a premium, the bitcoin price climbed to over $7,000.
The sudden rise in the bitcoin price this morning was signaled by a sell-off of the dollar-linked tether digital coin — the only cryptocurrency which is down today, according to CoinMarketCap data.
Crypto Market Keeps Its Balance After Recent Sell-Off, Bitcoin Above $ 6,300 (CoinTelegraph), Rated: AAA
Sunday, October 14: crypto markets keep their balance after the recent sell-off this week, with most of the 20 top coins by market cap slightly in the green. Fluctuations on the markets in both directions have for the most part been no more than 1 percent, as data from Coin360 shows.
Ethereum (ETH) has also seen a slight rebound, up around half a percent over the past 24 hours to press time. The second cryptocurrency by market cap has been hovering just above the $200 price point in the second half of the day, and is trading at $202 at press time. In terms of weekly dynamics, Ethereum is down about 11 percent to press time.
Cryptocurrencies Said to Lose $ 18 Billion During Market Plunge (Newsmax), Rated: A
There were no good spots for investors to hide in this week’s global equities rout, as cryptocurrencies joined the selloff with a jaw-dropping $18 billion price plunge over three days.
The total market capitalization for cryptocurrencies was $201 billion on Friday, down from $219 billion on Tuesday, CNBC reported, citing CoinMarketCap.com.
Ethereum [ETH/USD] Technical Analysis: 11% growth stumps bears, bulls take control as investors rejoice (AMBCrypto), Rated: AAA
The price of Ethereum [ETH] has seen a short-term increase over the past hour, witnessing a growth of about 11% as the cryptocurrency market pumped. In the light of this bullish growth, it is important to see whether this is sustainable growth.
In the light of the pump, the volume for Ethereum has gone up by 0.5x, a significant gain in trading. This can be attributed to Asian markets.
The price can find a resistance at $218 and $230 marks, with a strong support line at $188. There is a downtrend from $223 – $212 at time of press, with a short support uptrend from $188 – $191.
Overview of the top 5 crypto performers (The Oofy), Rated: A
On 11th October, the total market cap of the cryptocurrencies, for the first time since 20th September plunged below $200 billion.
In the past week, TRON is the only digital currency among others with a market cap of above $1 billion that has succeeded in staying in the green.
Bitcoin (BTC) Price Today – BTC / USD
The EOS/USD in the medium-term time frame has been range bound between $18.67- $3.8723.
On the upside, the start of a new upswing will be determined by a breakout of $6.8299. $9.1668 is the first target. A rally to $15 can happen if only the bulls scale $10 levels.
The pair ADA/USD has been in a long-term downtrend. From the highs of $1.396281 it attained on 5th January, it has dropped about 94%. All efforts to begin a new uptrend have failed.
Ripple, XRP, and the SWIFT partnership (AMBCrypto), Rated: A
The fallout from this partnership could potentially be one of the biggest things to happen to Ripple, as it partners with those it is aiming to replace. Moreover, they will also have access to the 11,000 clients that SWIFT boasts of if news of the partnership is true.
Cryptocurrency Thieves On Track To Steal Over $ 1 Billion In 2018 (Forbes Middle East), Rated: A
The total value of stolen cryptocurrency is expected to hit over $1 billion by the end of this year, which represents a 350% increase over the amount that was stolen in all of 2017, according to a new research from CipherTrace.
The U.S cybersecurity firm revealed that during the first three quarters of 2018, $927 million of cryptocurrency was reported as stolen from exchanges by hackers; $166 million was reported stolen since the second quarter, driven by an emerging trend toward more frequent and smaller cyber-attacks by sophisticated thieves.
Why Mastercard’s Multi-Blockchain Might Be a New Step in the Patent Race (CoinTelegraph), Rated: A
On October 9, American financial services giant Mastercard was granted a patentfor a method to partition a blockchain so that it can store multiple transaction types and formats. The filing published by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) reveals the details of the new system — not the first of the kind for Mastercard.
Maersk and IBM Team up to Deliver Blockchain to the Shipping Industry (BlockTelegraph), Rated: B
TradeLens, a collaboration between Maersk and IBM is working to digitize the global supply chain through blockchain technology. TradeLens uses smart contracts in its documentation module, enabling the code to execute automatically, and allowing hand offs between shippers to proceed painlessly. The distributed ledger prevents tampering of documents so that once bills of lading and such are uploaded to the chain, unscrupulous characters cannot go back and change them to cover for damaged or stolen goods. Maersk and IBM will run the platform and charge other participants to use it.
Ethereum Price Analysis: ETH/USD Jumps Above Key $ 200 Resistance (NewsBTC), Rated: AAA
Recently, there was a minor upside movefrom the $184 swing low in ETH price against the US Dollar. The ETH/USD pair traded above the $190 and $192 resistance levels. However, the upside move was capped by the $199-200 area. The price failed to break the $200 zone and slowly turned south. It declined below the 50% Fib retracement level of the recent wave from the $184 low to $199 high.
However, buyers appeared near the $188-190 area. Moreover, the 61.8% Fib retracement level of the recent wave from the $184 low to $199 high also acted as a support. Later, the price jumped higher and moved above the $190 and $197 resistance levels with a positive angle. More importantly, the price surpassed a strong resistance near the $200 level.
Looking at the chart, ETH price seems to be gaining pace above $197. As long as there is no false break above the $200 handle and the 100 hourly SMA, there are chances of more upsides.
Ethereum (ETH) Founder Claims He is Not a Billionaire–Should We Care? (Ethereum World News), Rated: A
According to Buterin, who has been one of the most outspoken and steadfast figures in all of cryptocurrency, not just in support of the second largest cryptocurrency by market cap Ethereum, he has never claimed more than 0.9 percent of the total circulating supply of Ether. Instead Buterin rebuked claims over Twitter that he held an egregious amount of ETH, which currently has a total circulating supply of ~102 million. Buterin responded to claims that he held a near 1 percent total of the supply of ETH (or the equivalent of about one million Ether) with a link to his proposed official Ethereum wallet with a substantially smaller amount totaling just 365,000 coins, worth about $73 million at today’s valuation.
Ethereum’s Constantinople Upgrade Stalls on Test Network (CoinDesk), Rated: A
Code for ethereum’s upcoming hard fork, dubbed Constantinople, was set to be activated on Ropsten at block number 4,230,000.
Ethereum Co-Founder Vitalik Buterin Claims to “Regret Adopting the Term Smart Contracts.” (Cryptoglobe), Rated: B
In a recent tweet, Ethereum creator Vitalik Buterin admits: “I quite regret adopting the term ‘smart contracts.’”
Binance Labs Invested in 3 Blockchain Projects this Month (CoinGape), Rated: A
On Oct 8, Binance Labs declared that it had invested several million dollars in a blockchain cybersecurity company, CertiK.
At the beginning of this month, Binance Labs invested a large number of dollars in Contentos which is a decentralized content ecosystem for content creation and distribution.
Blockchain startup Oasis Labs revealed that it has collaborated with some prominent investment firms and hedge funds to release a new startup program and Binance Labs is one of its accomplices in framing Oasis Startup Hub.
Bitcoin is Maturing, Crypto Growth Surprisingly Positive Reveals Study (NewsBTC), Rated: A
New research published in a renowned scientific journal speculates that the Bitcoin markets are rapidly maturing, which could be positive news for investors.
The journal – called Chaos: AnInterdisciplinary Journal of NonlinearScience – highlights some interesting features regarding the rapidly evolving cryptocurrency markets in a report titled “Bitcoin market route to maturity? Evidence from return fluctuations, temporal correlations, and multiscaling effects,” and lays out a scientific case for why Bitcoin could be a good investment.
How The Netherlands Is Blazing A Trail Through The Blockchain Scene (Forbes), Rated: A
The Netherlands has emerged as such a leader. In fact, it launched government-supported blockchain pilot projects, and pushes for new prototypes, project implementation, and international partnerships. Partners so far include the World Bank, the United Nations, and the EU Forum.
The Netherlands also announced in May that the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Climate Policy created a special blockchain unit with a research agenda mainly focused on establishing if the trustless nature of blockchain is reliable, determining if blockchain is sustainable from the perspective of energy consumption, and discovering the best ways in which blockchain endeavors can be managed and governed.
The European Blockchain Partnership Finds Europe Getting Serious About Distributed Ledger Technology (CoinTelegraph), Rated: A
On April 10, 2018, 21 EU member states and Norway signed up to create the European Blockchain Partnership. Including the UK, France, Germany, Sweden, the Netherlands and Ireland, they committed themselves to “cooperate in the establishment of a European Blockchain Services Infrastructure (EBSI) that will support the delivery of cross-border digital public services, with the highest standards of security and privacy.”
Since April, a further five nations have joined the Partnership, with Italy becoming the latest to do so after it signed the Partnership’s Declaration in September. As a member, it has committed itself to helping to identify, by the end of 2018, “an initial set of cross-border digital public sector services that could be deployed through the European Blockchain Services Infrastructure.”
SIX Digital Exchange partners with blockchain inheritance platform (Swiss Info), Rated: B
In July, the Swiss stock exchange said it was building a new digital platform, using distributed ledger technology similar to blockchain, to trade tokenised assets. SIX has now taken a step towards realising this goal by teaming up with a start-up that helps families inherit digital assets from deceased relatives.
On Monday, SIX announced it has taken a minority stake in PassOn plus a seat on the Swiss start-up’s board.
Cryptocurrency Regulations May Take 2 Years for Lawmakers to Draft (CCN), Rated: AAA
Cryptocurrency regulations in the UK could take up to 24 months to be introduced according to a legal expert at a UK based law firm.
James Kaufmann, Legal Director at Reynolds Porter Chamberlain (RPC) UK, while commenting on the subject in a statement published by his company, said it could take two years to introduce such regulations due to a couple of reasons.
Hong Kong’s securities regulator mulling over new rules for city’s cryptocurrency exchanges (SCMP), Rated: AAA
Hong Kong’s Securities and Futures Commission (SFC) is exploring ways to regulate the various cryptocurrency trading platforms already operating in the city and thus tighten investor protection, says its outgoing chairman Carlson Tong Ka-shing.
For their part, the cryptocurrency exchange operators have welcomed the move.
Angelina Kwan, chief operating officer of The bitcoin Mercantile Exchange (BitMEX) one of the world’s biggest cryptocurrency platforms, said she would work closely with the SFC on the proposed regulations.
Bitfinex Exchange Sees Record Highs For Ethereum (ETH) Short Positions (Bitcoin Exchange Guide), Rated: A
Ethereum (ETH) has also suffered the consequences of this sell-off. The second most known cryptocurrency in the market has been performing weakly over the last months. And this can be seen in Bitfinex. There are currently over 300 thousand short positions opened for Ethereum.
Bithumb’s new chief hints at Hong Kong launch (The Investor), Rated: A
Bithumb’s new chairman Kim Byung-gun, founder of BK Medical Group that operates plastic surgery clinics in Asia, on Oct. 13 hinted that the first destination will be Hong Kong.
“We plan to open crypto exchanges in some 10 countries around the world,” Kim, a renowned plastic surgeon, told in an interview with Maeil Economic Daily. “Hong Kong will be the first destination.”
Alphacat adds Ripple (XRP) realtime forecasting engine to ACAT store (NEO News Today), Rated: A
Alphacat, a robo-advisor marketplace for traders has announced that it will list the Ripple (XRP) real-time forecasting engine in its ACAT store starting October 15th. The forecasting engine allows traders to predict the trends of cryptocurrency prices in 15, 30, and 45 minute intervals.
Cryptocurrencies Boost Chinese Entrepreneurs On Wealthiest List (Use the Bitcoin), Rated: A
Chinese entrepreneurs with holdings or startups in the virtual currency space are among the wealthiest citizens in the country. According to a recent report from the Hurun Research Institute, several crypto figures were able to enter the list. This is the 20th time that the Institute ranked the wealthiest individuals in the country.
See the full report here.
Bithumb Trading Booms after Sale, Outpacing Even Binance (Cryptonews), Rated: AAA
Trading in South Korean cryptocurrency exchange Bithumb shot up by some 25% over the weekend after the Singapore-based BK Global Consortium bought a controlling share in the platform late last week.
Bitcoin (BTC), Ethereum (ETH), XRP ATMs Launch In India To Bypass RBI Ban (Ethereum World News), Rated: AAA
As reported by Ethereum World News previously, despite India’s willingness to accept blockchain technologies, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) enacted measures to curb banking relationships with local crypto exchanges in April. Once the ban went into effect in July, all crypto platforms in the Asian country lost access to banking services, which disallowed these startups from accepting Indian Rupee deposits or withdrawals.
Although Zebpay’s wallet functionality is still up and running, as seen on CoinMarketCap, the India-based exchange has no volume to speak of, indicating that the RBI’s harsh regulatory action has unfortunately worked as planned.
According to an exclusive with Bitcoin.com’s news portal, Unocoin, a prominent crypto platform in India, has officially announced its intention to prop-up Bitcoin (BTC), Ethereum (ETH), Ripple’s XRP, Litecoin (LTC), and Bitcoin Cash (BCH) automated teller machines (ATM) across the country.
Explaining how these ATMs work, Vishwanath revealed that the minimum deposit and withdrawal amount will be 1,000 rupees ($13.5 U.S. Dollars) and will scale upwards in multiples of 500 rupees ($6.75).
Bitcoin Exchanges Shutdown in India Due to Regulations, Pivot to ATMs (NewsBTC), Rated: A
Unocoin in its latest announcement revealed its plan to launch a network of Bitcoin ATMs across India. The Bengaluru-based crypto exchange, which has been in the field since 2013 and currently boasts a 1.2 million customer-base, already introduced one crypto trading kiosk in its hometown. It enables users to exchange Bitcoin, XRP, Ethereum, Bitcoin Cash, and Litecoin for cash – and vice versa.
The Surprising Role Malaysia Plays In Cybercrime (Unreserved Media), Rated: AAA
US$750 million in 5 minutes. That’s how much ‘HB’ tokens – the latest cryptocurrency for gamblers backed by a notorious triad boss – reportedly raised in what would be the gaming industry’s single biggest initial coin offering (ICO) in 2018.
Ex-triad boss Wan Kuok-koi aka ‘Broken Tooth’, one of China’s fiercest gangsters in modern history, was released in December 2012 after a 14-year jail sentence at Coloane maximum security prison.
Charges include illegal gambling, loansharking, turf wars, conspiracy to import military-grade weapons, and planting a car bomb in an attempt to murder the police chief who caught him. He’s also connected with disgraced political data firm Cambridge Analytica via a previous ICO called Dragon Coin, its issuance to purportedly construct the Dragon Pearl Casino Hotel, the world’s first floating cryptocurrency casino. That’s 1,600 sqm of unbridled gambling for a project that’s touted as a lower-fee alternative for Chinese high-rollers frequenting Macau’s cavernous casinos.
Unregulated Crypto Exchanges Handle 97% of Criminal Bitcoin Flow (Inc42), Rated: A
According to the research, 97% of direct Bitcoin payments from criminals went to exchanges in countries with weak anti-money laundering laws and nearly 5% of all Bitcoin sent to poorly regulated exchanges comes from criminal activity before the money is moved, undetected, into the global financial payments system. These exchanges have laundered a significant amount of bitcoin, totalling 380,000 BTC or $2.5 Bn at today’s prices, says the report.
Thailand Police Finally Nabs Kingpin in Popular Cryptocurrency Scam (Ethereum World News), Rated: A
The Thailand Police arrested Parinya Jaravijit, elder brother of Thai actor, Jirapisit “Boom” Jaravijit, on October 11 (Thursday), at the Suvarnabhumi Airport. Parinya was afterward brought before the Ratchadapisek Criminal Court on October 12 his detention application. His detention will last for 12 days, starting from today, October 12, through October 23.
Manny Pacquiao’s long-awaited cryptocurrency could launch by the end of the year.
According to a StraitsTimes report, Singapore based Global Crypto Offering Exchange (GCOX) is in charge of the launch of the Pac Tokens, the cryptocurrency that leverages on the popularity of the Philippine boxing legend.
PlasmaPay launches new cryptocurrency payment system (Cryptoninjas), Rated: B
Cryptocurrency payment system PlasmaPay, which called on apps to beta test in July, is now available in a full-fledged mode for all users. After a successful 3 months of beta testing, the system has officially launched.
CRYPTOCURRENCY FUELING A NEW FUTURE FOR UKRAINE (Bitcoinist), Rated: AAA
Bloomberg reported how the typical monthly salary for a Ukrainian is about $300 dollars. That certainly has not stopped people from trading cryptocurrencies. Daily volume often reaches close to $2 million.
Local media reported in May how police in the city of Rivne was facing up to multiple years in jail for mining cryptocurrencies for about four months from the police station.
Despite some of this heavy-handedness, some have optimism the Ukrainian government can take steps forward to create a more crypto-friendly environment in a country that has largely had an agrarian-based economy.
‘We are in Active Communication with Binance,’ Says Bytecoin (BCN) Team (Ethereum World News), Rated: AAA
In a Reddit post right after Binance announced the delisting of BCN, the Bytecoin team announced the following:
We’d like to clarify the situation with Binance
We are in the process of active communication with the Binance representatives about the delisting situation.
Bytecoin should proceed its trading on Binance without any issues, and we are trying to come to an agreement as soon as possible.
For now any detailed communication with the Binance can’t be disclosed for privacy reasons.
We will keep you updated during the day. Thank you for your patience.
Cryptocurrencies Will Be Used For Groceries in Colombia When Rappi Launches (BlockTribune), Rated: A
Rappi is a digital currency purchasing service. Although it is not yet available, the company aims to have the exchange as “easy, fast and safe” service in a country not known for that.
Rappi envisions food delivery and all kinds of products on its service, and added “bitcoin” to the services section for its customers in Colombia. Although the sale of bitcoin is not yet available, within the application they allow the interested party to sign up to obtain “exclusive access” to acquire the most famous cryptocurrency in an “easy, fast, and secure” manner.
Venezuelans To Use the Petro Cryptocurrency to Pay for Passport Fees (Use the Bitcoin), Rated: B
Venezuelans will have to pay for their passport fees using the government-backed Petro cryptocurrency.
Aion Price Gains 17% as Binance Confirms Token Swap Support (NullTX), Rated: AAA
Over the past 24 hours, there has been an increasing demand for AION, resulting in a relatively decent overall trading volume. This increase in demand has resulted in a 17% USD gain, followed by a 16.5% increase over Bitcoin and an 18% gain on Ethereum. That in itself is pretty interesting, especially for a currency so few people seem to be actively talking about as of right now.
Crypto Startup Ruled Not Responsible For $ 62,500 Bitcoin ATM Scam (Ethereum World News), Rated: A
Earlier this year, a woman residing in Charlottetown, Canada, was rung up by a presumed scammer, who claimed to be working with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). Although many would have immediately hung up, unfortunately, the unnamed woman decided that she would go ahead with the call. In a short conversation, the man explained that she, his victim, would need to deposit large amounts of cash into a Bitcoin ATM machine to initiate a transaction to the “CRA’s” crypto asset wallet.
Fiat-to-Crypto Exchange Binance Uganda Opens for Deposits and Withdrawals (Digital Journal), Rated: AAA
Fiat-to-crypto exchange Binance Uganda will begin accepting deposits and withdrawals of Ugandan Shillings on Wednesday, October 17th. The exchange commences Know Your Customer (KYC) procedures today.
Binance Uganda is the first fiat-crypto exchange launched by Binance, the largest cryptocurrency exchange by trade volume. Built on top of technology developed by Binance, Binance Uganda is capable of processing 1.4 million transactions per second and will feature 24/7 live customer support.
Top Cryptocurrencies October 14th, 2018 (Cryptoblockwire), Rated: AAA
Of the top 100 cryptocurrencies, the top performing of the day is Digitex Futures. Digitex Futures (DGTX) traded up 27.98% against the US dollar during the twenty-four hour period ending at 06:00 AM Eastern Standard Time on October 14, 2018. The market cap for DGTX is $106,252,453. Digitex Futures traded $2,439,811 worth of on exchanges in the past 24 hour period. One Digitex Futures token can currently be purchased for about $0.151789 or 0.000024024 BTC on major cryptocurrency exchanges. The amount of Digitex Futures in circulation is 700,000,000 DGTX.
Greatest Gaining Cryptocurrencies From The Past 24 Hours:
Aion (AION) traded up 16.47% against the dollar. It now trades at $0.447037 or 0.000070753 BTC on $11,556,457 in volume today.
DigiByte (DGB) traded 10.93% higher against the dollar. It now trades at $0.025788 or 0.000004081 BTC on $2,679,945 in volume today.
GXChain (GXS) traded a 8.33% increase against the dollar. It now trades at $1.54 or 0.000243736 BTC on $9,895,330 in volume today.
Blockchain Startup Coinfirm Aims To Fight Crypto Fraud In Nigeria (ETHNews), Rated: A
Though it boasts one of Africa’s strongest economies, Nigeria’s reputation is held back by incidents of online and digital fraud, many of them now relating to Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies. Coinfirm, working with Nigerian digital training organization KAD ICT Hub, aims to raise awareness of fraud in Nigeria and prevent it, thereby raising the positive profile of cryptocurrency in the region.
It plans to implement its blockchain platform, AMLT Network, into an “Africa Blockchain Lab.” The dedicated local network would allow Nigerians to report cryptocurrency scams and fraud and be rewarded with “AMLT” cryptocurrency tokens when they do. The implementation is set to begin with a series of training sessions for local users on how to identify fraud and mitigate its risks.
Bitcoin [BTC] and other cryptocurrencies are not a legal tender in the Republic of Zambia (AMBCrypto), Rated: B
Recently, Bank of Zambia [BoZ] issued a public notice on Bitcoin [BTC] and other cryptocurrencies. The notice stated that cryptocurrencies are not a legal tender in the Republic of Zambia as it is not issued by the Bank of Zambia.
World’s First Public Offering of a Cryptocurrency and Digital Assets Related Fund Goes Live (PR Newswire), Rated: AAA
Epoch Partners Limited (Headquartered in the Cayman Islands) has announced the world’s first retail public offering of a cryptocurrency and digital assets related fund. The Securities Registration Statement for the fund was filed on EDINET — the disclosure system of the Japanese Financial Services Agency — on September 28, 2018, with subscriptions being opened on October 15th. According to the Securities Registration Statement, subscriptions are to be capped at 100 Billion Yen, or about US$900 million.