- Today’s main news: Bitcoin goes above $4K again. XRP up 30% in one week. Binance still leads exchanges by volume. Ethereum rises 20%, hits $130. Binance to add XRP base pair. Bitmain could purge 50% of staff. Japanese yen surpasses US dollar in Bitcoin-to-fiat transactions.
- Today’s main analysis: Nvidia is headed for $100.
- Today’s thought-provoking articles: Wall Street shelves cryptocurrency plans. How Civil bumbled its launch. 2018’s best/worst performing cryptos. Cryptocurrencies could outperform all other asset classes in 2019. Can ETH’s rally extend beyond $150?
- Bitcoin goes above $4,000 again. Two questions: Is it because of Christmas gifting, and does this mean it is on a comeback? I’m not sure it means anything just yet.
- XRP launches on CryptoBridge, up 30% in one week. It’s important to realize the entire crypto market is up this week. It makes me wonder if it’s simply Christmas gifting, or was there another event driving the market upward?
- Wall Street shelves cryptocurrency plans. It’s likely that institutions are just taking a step back to evaluate what happens next. If the market takes off again, they’ll likely jump in early.
- Nvidia headed to $100. Last year’s rally was good for Nvidia. This year’s crash was not. Probably not a coincidence.
- How Civil bumbled its blockchain launch. A very interesting read, but can we blame Civil entirely? I mean, the market turned suddenly and that likely had an effect.
- One venture capitalist thinks Bitcoin passed a major milestone.
- One prominent investor says 2018 was Bitcoin’s most successful year.
- Ripple CEO says XRP is more decentralized than Bitcoin or Ethereum.
- XRP preferred as a gift over Bitcoin, Monero.
- Bitcoin Cash ABC, Litecoin analysis.
- Justin Sun explains how Tron works to develop sustainable crypto model.
- On defining proof of stake.
- Congressman introduces bill to prevent Iran from creating cryptocurrencies.
- Central New Mexico Community College named innovator of the year for blockchain technology.
- Survey shows 3% of Americans ready for blockchain banking.
- Binance the leader among exchanges by volume.
- A look at this year’s best/worst performing cryptos.
- Cryptocurrencies could outperform all other assets in 2019.
- Travala adds Litecoin for payments at hotels in 210 countries.
- Binance, Tron commits to donating $100,000 in crypto.
- TokenSoft integrates with Coinbase Custody.
- Cryptomining and IoT malware rise over 70%.
- List of cryptocurrency marketing agencies.
- The number of crypto ATMs around the world has doubled.
- Top 10 blockchain stories of 2018.
- Western Union makes U-turn on crypto.
- AmaZix, LXDX partner on alternative crypto trading.
- Ethereum price rises 20%, trades at $130. I’m looking forward to Ethereum’s continued rise.
- Can ETH go beyond $150?
- What triggered Ethereum to rise 66% in one week?
- What happened to Ethereum Dapps?
- Binance to add XRP as base pair.
- Golem rallies after Coinbase listing.
- Bitmain could purge 50% of staff.
- Japanese yen surpasses USD as Bitcoin-to-fiat transactions.
- 32 cryptos face delisting at Huobi.
- Facebook to create cryptocurrency for WhatsApp in India.
- South Korean university offers masters degree in cryptocurrency.
- Argentina to end 2018 with eight new cryptocurrency ATMs.
- UAE to finalize ICO regulations in 2019.
- United Kingdom: Cryptocurrency year in review.
- Eurasia: Eurasian Economic Union to launch cryptocurrency in 2020.
- United Kingdom: Digital assets take over Christmas.
- Canada: Southern Alberta Institute of Technology to issue diplomas via blockchain.
- Brazil: Supermarket chain accepts Litecoin, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash.
- United Kingdom: Three blockchain use cases in retail.
- Cameroon: Militants to use crypto to secede.
- United States
- Bitcoin Above $ 4,000 Again (CoinTelegraph), Rated: AAA
- A VC Thinks Bitcoin Passed A Major Milestone This Year (Forbes), Rated: A
- Prominent Investor: 2018 Was The “Most Successful Year” For Bitcoin (NewsBTC), Rated: A
- XRP Launches on Decentralized Exchange CryptoBridge, XRP Up 30% in One Week (CryptoGlobe), Rated: AAA
- Ripple CEO: XRP Is More Decentralized Than Bitcoin or Ethereum (SludgeFeed), Rated: A
- XRP Preferred as a Gift over Bitcoin (BTC) and Monero (XMR) according to Poll (Blockmanity), Rated: B
- Bye-bye bitcoin: Wall Street quietly shelves its cryptocurrency plans (Business Standard), Rated: AAA
- Nvidia: Headed For $ 100 (Seeking Alpha), Rated: AAA
- Bitcoin Cash – ABC, Litecoin and Ripple Daily Analysis (Yahoo! Finance), Rated: A
- Civil unrest: How a blockchain-based journalism startup bumbled its launch (Ars Technica), Rated: AAA
- Justin Sun Explains How Tron TRX is Working To Develop a Sustainable Cryptocurrency Model (Ethereum World News), Rated: A
- On Defining Proof of Stake (Elixxir Email), Rated: A
- USA working on law to prevent Iran from creating “Cryptocurrencies” (Egypt Today), Rated: A
- CNM named ‘Innovator of the Year’ for their use of blockchain tech (KOB 4), Rated: B
- Survey Shows 3% of Americans Ready for Blockchain Banking (CCN), Rated: B
- Binance is still the leader by volume of exchange operations (Crypto Economy), Rated: AAA
- A Look at 2018’s Best and Worst Performing Cryptocurrencies (Bitcoin.com), Rated: AAA
- Cryptocurrencies Could Outperform All Other Assets in 2019 (CCN), Rated: AAA
- Litecoin Added to Travala, people can use Litecoin to pay for half a million hotels Across 210 countries (Blockmanity), Rated: A
- Binance and Tron Committed to Donate $ 100,000 in Crypto to the Charity (Coingape), Rated: A
- TokenSoft Global Markets Integrates With Coinbase Custody (The Tokenist), Rated: A
- Cryptomining And IoT Malware Both Rise Over 70% (Forbes), Rated: A
- List Of Cryptocurrency Marketing Agencies (Use the Bitcoin), Rated: A
- Number Of Cryptocurrency ATMs Around The World Doubled (Smartereum), Rated: A
- Top ten blockchain stories in 2018 (Fintech Futures), Rated: A
- Western Union makes a U-turn on cryptocurrencies (FX Street), Rated: B
- AmaZix and LXDX combine to offer alternative crypto trading (IBS Intelligence), Rated: B
- European Union
- Ethereum’s (ETH) Price Rises by 20% to Trade at $ 130 (Smartereum), Rated: AAA
- ETH Up 15%, Rally Could Extend Above $ 150 (NewsBTC), Rated: AAA
- What Triggered Ethereum to Rise 66% Within 1 Week? (CCN), Rated: A
- What Happened to Dapps? (And 4 Other Big Questions for Ethereum in 2019) (CoinDesk), Rated: A
- Binance CEO Confirms XRP Will Be Added As A Base Pair (Ethereum World News), Rated: AAA
- Golem (GNT) Rallies Hard After Coinbase Listing (CryptoDaily), Rated: A
- United Kingdom
- Cryptocurrency – A Year in Review (Luno Email), Rated: AAA
- A Bank of England Poll Shows Digital Assets are Taking Over Christmas (Cryptovibes), Rated: A
- Three use cases of blockchain technology in retail (Coin Rivet), Rated: A
- Crypto Mining Giant Bitmain May Purge 50% Of Staffers (Ethereum World News), Rated: AAA
- 32 cryptocurrencies are facing a delisting warning (Crypto News Review), Rated: A
- Southeast Asia
- Japanese Yen Trumps US Dollar in Bitcoin-to-Fiat Transactions (The Daily HODL), Rated: AAA
- Facebook to create new cryptocurrency for WhatsApp (Blockpitch), Rated: A
- South Korean University Now Offering Master’s in Cryptocurrency (BTC Wires), Rated: A
- The Eurasian Economic Union To Launch Digital Currency in 2020 (Bit News Today), Rated: AAA
- UAE to finalise ICO regulations by 2019 (Arabian Business), Rated: AAA
- Latin America
- Argentina Is Set to End 2018 With Eight New Cryptocurrency ATMs (Cryptoglobe), Rated: AAA
- Brazilian chain of supermarkets begins to accept payments from Litecoin, Bitcoin Cash and Bitcoin (Crypto Economy), Rated: A
- SAIT to issue diplomas via blockchain (ICONews), Rated: AAA
- Militants Use Crypto In Struggle to Secede (CCN), Rated: A
Bitcoin Above $ 4,000 Again (CoinTelegraph), Rated: AAA
At press time, Bitcoin is up nearly four percent on the day, trading at $4,050. Looking at its weekly chart, the current price is lower than the Friday’s high of almost $4,200; but the cryptocurrency is still trading significantly up from $3,294 — the point at which it started this week.
Ripple (XRP) — the second largest cryptocurrency by market capitalization — has gained over five percent on the day, trading at $0.374 as of press time.
A VC Thinks Bitcoin Passed A Major Milestone This Year (Forbes), Rated: A
Bitcoin has had a difficult few weeks, topping off a terrible year that’s seen it lose around 80% of its value since its all-time high 12 months ago.
Now, the managing partner of Dragonfly Capital Partners, a U.S. crypto-focused venture capital firm, has said he thinks bitcoin has crossed a major milestone this year, with its chances of falling to zero almost non-existent.
Prominent Investor: 2018 Was The “Most Successful Year” For Bitcoin (NewsBTC), Rated: A
Jameson Lopp, a prominent Bitcoiner, cypherpunk, and the CTO of crypto startup CasaHODL, recently took to his Twitter page to draw attention to the fact that 2018 has been a great year for the Segregated Witness (SegWit) protocol.
More specifically, since January, the peak of crypto’s most recent season of speculative mania, SegWit adoption in Bitcoin transactions has risen from 10% to 40%.
As a result of this uptick in SegWit use, the virtual transaction size fell from 750 bytes in February to 450 bytes, decreasing fees incurred for each transfer of BTC.
XRP Launches on Decentralized Exchange CryptoBridge, XRP Up 30% in One Week (CryptoGlobe), Rated: AAA
On Friday (21 December 2018), decentralized crypto exchange CryptoBridge announcedon its blog that it had launched XRP trading on its platform, with two trading pairs—XRP/BTC and XRP/ETH—currently on offer.
At press time, according to data from CryptoCompare, XRP is trading at $0.3808, up 6.55% in the past 24-hour period. More interesting, as you can see in the chart below, the XRP price has gone up from 30% in one week, from $0.2931 on December 16th (13:00 UTC) to $0.3809 today (13:00 UTC):
Ripple CEO: XRP Is More Decentralized Than Bitcoin or Ethereum (SludgeFeed), Rated: A
A major aspect of the conversation centered around the decentralization of XRP, a point of contention for many within the crypto community. In the discussion, Garlinghouse emphasized that Ripple only runs seven network validators, which comprises only around 4% of the all public validators.
XRP Preferred as a Gift over Bitcoin (BTC) and Monero (XMR) according to Poll (Blockmanity), Rated: B
Globee, a cryptocurrency service company that helps merchants adopt cryptocurrency has conducted a poll to understand which is the preferred cryptocurrency for gifting.
Bye-bye bitcoin: Wall Street quietly shelves its cryptocurrency plans (Business Standard), Rated: AAA
Limbo—that’s where to find Wall Street when it comes to cryptocurrencies.
Take Goldman Sachs Group Inc., which sought to position itself at the cutting edge of digital assets that skeptics see mainly as a domain of day traders and anarchists. Progress has been so slow as to be barely noticeable, according to people familiar with its crypto business. Many in the industry now say it was quixotic to have expected last year’s frenzy to translate into a Wall Street crypto offering.
Nvidia: Headed For $ 100 (Seeking Alpha), Rated: AAA
After the fiscal Q3’2019 report, the majority of the sell-side community was utterly shocked by the size of Nvidia’s (NASDAQ:NVDA) miss. Nvidia has had a phenomenal track record of delivering beat-and-raise quarters.
- Revenue of $3.18 billion vs. consensus estimate of $3.24 billion
- EPS of $1.84 vs. consensus estimate of $1.71
- Revenue guide of $2.7 billion (+/- 2%) vs. consensus of $3.4 billion
- Gaming revenue of $1.76 billion vs. consensus of $1.89 billion
- Datacenter revenue of $792 million vs. consensus of $821 million
Bitcoin Cash – ABC, Litecoin and Ripple Daily Analysis (Yahoo! Finance), Rated: A
Bitcoin Cash ABC gained 1.76% on Saturday, reversing a 0.62% fall from Friday, to end the day at $195.96.
Litecoin on the Bounce
Litecoin rallied by 4.6% on Saturday, reversing most of Friday’s 6.65% slide, to end the day at $31.59.
A bearish start to the day saw Litecoin fall to a mid-morning intraday low $29.73, holding above the day’s first major support level at $28.86, before bouncing back to a late in the day intraday high $31.6.
Civil unrest: How a blockchain-based journalism startup bumbled its launch (Ars Technica), Rated: AAA
In March 2018, Matthew Iles—the head of Civil, an ambitious blockchain-for-journalism startup—stood in a tiny New York conference room with a few colleagues seated around him. Wearing a peach-colored sweater, Iles looked up at a mounted camera to speak to dozens of colleagues spread around the world about how the future of Civil was looking bright.
But even that $0.75 valuation put the tokens at more than 789 times what was actually listed in a formal filing. That document was marked as a confidential “Restricted Token Agreement” and has been provided to Ars. It cited the “fair market value” of one CVL at “$0.00095 per Token.”
Either way, Civil didn’t even get that far. The initial coin offering (ICO) failed, badly. By October 2018, the Civil ICO raised just $1.4 million of a target $8 million. Civil’s sole investor, ConsenSys, purchased the overwhelming majority of that investment: $1.1 of the $1.4 million.
Justin Sun Explains How Tron TRX is Working To Develop a Sustainable Cryptocurrency Model (Ethereum World News), Rated: A
Tron has a lot to offer, and Justin Sun is willing to prove it. The creator of the popular blockchain that seeks to decentralize the internet recently spoke with Inc. magazine and shared his views on the reality of Tron and the current state of its cryptocurrency TRX.
One of the critical points in the progress of the TRON roadmap was the purchase of BitTorrent and the development of integration between Tron and, so TRX is used as the native cryptocurrency for BitTorrent. For
On Defining Proof of Stake (Elixxir Email), Rated: A
Ignoring the “PoS is anything not PoW” trolls, most high-level definitions of PoS are minor variations on the following:
“PoS refers to the entire class of mechanisms whereby the amount of cryptocurrency you hold determines the extent to which you can participate in consensus.”
Problem 1: The primary problem is that it is so high-level that it can only be valid within the narrow context of the protocol and therefore ignores very real externalities.
Problem 2: The definition makes no distinction between systems with different properties.
Problem 3: Systems with similar non-stake mechanisms end up getting unfairly grouped together.
Is Elixxir PoS or PoW?
Neither. There is no “Proof of” in Elixxir.
Folks out there assumed the worst and went straight to the bikeshed after reading the word “stake” in our Technical Brief. The words “Proof of” are nowhere in the Elixxir Technical Brief by design, but we are taking this one step further by replacing the term “stake” with “bonded deposit” in all of our documentation.
USA working on law to prevent Iran from creating “Cryptocurrencies” (Egypt Today), Rated: A
A few days ago, Rep. Mike Gallagher (R-Wisc.) introduced a bill that attempts to prevent Iran from advancing in its efforts to create a cryptocurrency.
The “Blocking Iran Illicit Finance Act” contains in its body a series of sanctions against Iran that follow the line strengthened after Trump’s decision to withdraw from the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action.
Within the text, Title III “Sanctions With Respect to the Development and Use of Iranian Digital Currency” is specifically developed to avoid any type of activity involving the use of an Iranian cryptocurrency, regardless of whether its purpose is legitimate or not.
CNM named ‘Innovator of the Year’ for their use of blockchain tech (KOB 4), Rated: B
Central New Mexico Community College was recently named ‘Innovator of the Year’ for being a trailblazer in the use of blockchain technology, the same technology used to bring about bitcoin.
‘Education Dive: Higher Ed’ is an education news publisher. They named CNM ‘Innovator of the Year’ for using blockchain technology to issue digital diplomas to students.
Survey Shows 3% of Americans Ready for Blockchain Banking (CCN), Rated: B
A survey conducted by an ICO-funded blockchain banking solution found that 3% of American Internet users are ready to use blockchain banking. More than 60% of those polled (over 3,000 people) were not interested in blockchain banking at all, not seeing any value in it.
Binance is still the leader by volume of exchange operations (Crypto Economy), Rated: AAA
Binance is still the leading cryptocurrency exchange by trading volume according to the latest report from the New York-based Chain Open Research (COR Index) company which carries out analytics on the activity within the cryptocurrency markets.
Looking at its latest report which covers developments in the crypto space between November 15th and December 15th, 2018, Binance is leading in cryptocurrency trade volume at $20.8 billion followed OKEx and Huobi at $17.1 billion and $13.9 billion respectively.
A Look at 2018’s Best and Worst Performing Cryptocurrencies (Bitcoin.com), Rated: AAA
The last seven days have been extremely positive for the cryptocurrency markets, with many digital assets up between 40 and 70 percent. Iota is up 67 percent, stratis 108 percent, and bitcoin cash 150 percent.
The worst performing altcoin, based on Messari’s break-even multiple, is zclassic (ZCL). One year ago, it was pumped to a high of $235 ahead of a fork to create bitcoin private (BTCP). Both coins have since performed disastrously, ZCL because it’s a dead coin and BTCP because it was always a shitcoin whose primary purpose was to enrich ZCL bagholders. Today, ZCL trades at $1.25 and would require a 188x to reach its former top.
Cryptocurrencies Could Outperform All Other Assets in 2019 (CCN), Rated: AAA
As other asset markets, particularly the stock markets, enter a bear market some believe cryptocurrencies have a chance at being the best performing asset class next year.
Litecoin Added to Travala, people can use Litecoin to pay for half a million hotels Across 210 countries (Blockmanity), Rated: A
Just days after XRP announced the partnership with travel startup, Travala, Litecoin too announces that they have partnered with Travala. Users can now use Litecoin to pay for hotels and resorts using Travala.
Binance and Tron Committed to Donate $ 100,000 in Crypto to the Charity (Coingape), Rated: A
Top cryptocurrency exchange, Binance and blockchain oriented operating system, Tron is lending huge funds to the charity. In the latest tweet, Justin sun, the founder and CEO of Tron Foundation has proudly announced that Binance and Tron is the newest platform in a list to donate $100,000 in Crypto to the Charity.
TokenSoft Global Markets Integrates With Coinbase Custody (The Tokenist), Rated: A
TokenSoft, Inc., one of the platforms for tokenized securities, has just announced that its broker-dealer affiliate, TokenSoft Global Markets, will be working closely with Coinbase Custody. Coinbase will be providing secure crypto-storage services for users of TokenSoft Global Markets.
Cryptomining And IoT Malware Both Rise Over 70% (Forbes), Rated: A
The December McAfee Labs Threats Report says that cyber criminals are currently generating 480 new threats per minute, and Internet of Things malware rose 73 percent in the third quarter of this year. In addition, cryptocurrency mining malware was up 71 percent, even though the value of many cryptocurrencies has declined. Even worse: the McAfee report says entrepreneurial cybercriminals have new ways of evading law enforcement. (Source: Venture Beat)
List Of Cryptocurrency Marketing Agencies (Use the Bitcoin), Rated: A
Crowdcreate is a Los Angeles-based marketing agency which deals with crypto marketing channels. They focus on branding, designing and video production, media management, influencer marketing, and PR outreach.
ICOBox is a platform which caters to companies that are looking to sell their products through ICO crowdsales.
This platform not only deals with marketing, but it handles the entire ICO consultative, investment and advertising process. Priority Token also lets investors mitigate risk by investing through them, as they give refunds on all ICO purchases at any time before the announced deadline.
Number Of Cryptocurrency ATMs Around The World Doubled (Smartereum), Rated: A
The total number of digital currency ATMs (automated teller machines that support digital currency) has doubled through the the year. According to the report there are now more than 4,000 cryptocurrency ATMs spread across major nations around the world. The ATMs are in approximatelly 76 countries worldwide and operated by 520 organizations.
Top ten blockchain stories in 2018 (Fintech Futures), Rated: A
SoftBank trials blockchain-based mobile payments
Teams with Synchronoss Technologies and TBCASoft.
World Bank turns to CBA for world’s first blockchain bond
Part of the World Bank’s goal to end extreme poverty.
BBVA delivers first syndicated loan on blockchain
Using Hyperledger and partnered with Red Electrica Corporation.
Western Union makes a U-turn on cryptocurrencies (FX Street), Rated: B
The head of Western Union Global Money Transfer Odilon Almeida admitted that the company may add cryptocurrencies to its portfolio. At least this option is not excluded.
The WN executive explained that high volatility, lack of governance and compliance prevent digital currencies from being adopted on a scale. In general. these comments signal a pivot in Western union’s stance towards crypto, as back in June company’s CEO Hikmet Ersek said that the company would not add a cryptocurrency to its services anytime soon.
AmaZix and LXDX combine to offer alternative crypto trading (IBS Intelligence), Rated: B
AmaZix, a community management company that specializes in the fields of blockchain and cryptocurrency has joined forces with Malta-based cryptocurrency exchange LXDX to provide what they have described as an agile and secure alternative to crypto trading.
LXDX facilitates institutional trading of cryptocurrencies and other digital assets, and is engineered to provide crypto-financial services that combine algorithmic smart routing and dark pool trading from a single account.
Ethereum’s (ETH) Price Rises by 20% to Trade at $ 130 (Smartereum), Rated: AAA
As of December 15, ETH was trading at $83. The cryptocurrency launched a strong price rally on the same date which has continued to this point. It appears this rally is sustainable after Ethereum (ETH) saw a 60% price increase during the period in question. This is also an indication that more traders have started to see how oversold Ethereum (ETH) was. On December 22, ETH/USD was at $108.81 and in less than 24 hour the cryptocurrency broke the $130 resistance area to trade at $130.74 which is a 20% surge in only 24 hours.
ETH Up 15%, Rally Could Extend Above $ 150 (NewsBTC), Rated: AAA
It even broke the $140 barrier and placed itself well above the 100 hourly simple moving average. The price recently traded close to the $150 level and it is currently consolidating gains.
An initial support is near $144 and the 23.6% Fib retracement level of the recent wave from the $125 low to $149 high. However, the main support is near the $135-136 zone. On the upside, an initial resistance is near the $150 level, above which the price could rally past $155.
What Triggered Ethereum to Rise 66% Within 1 Week? (CCN), Rated: A
Since December 16, within one week, the Ethereum price surged from $83 to $138, by just over 66 percent.
What Happened to Dapps? (And 4 Other Big Questions for Ethereum in 2019) (CoinDesk), Rated: A
1. What happened to the promise of dapps and smart contracts?
There were already over 200 cryptocurrencies by the time the Ethereum mainnet went live in 2014. But what made it a game changer was the birth of the smart contracts, and more specifically, contracts such as ERC-20, a universal standard that would allow different tokens to exist on the same blockchain.
2. Are we finally done with ICOs?
ICOs were the best and worst thing to happen to the cryptocurrency industry. Like it or not, it was a catalyst for driving interest in the space, spurring innovation and leading its growing adoption. In 2017, companies raised more than $5.5 billion through the ICO route and in just the first three months of 2018, it reached a peak of $6.3 billion.
3. How can we ensure that the Ethereum community grows together, instead of apart?
4. How can we restore trust in crypto?
5. How can we set ourselves up to BUIDL for the better?
Binance CEO Confirms XRP Will Be Added As A Base Pair (Ethereum World News), Rated: AAA
One user, who goes by the moniker “IzombieXRP,” asked Changpeng “CZ” Zhao, the aforementioned exchange’s fervent chief executive, to list XRP as a base pair as a seeming present to the crypto community. In response to the quip, which gained boatloads of traction, CZ, being a good sport and all, responded by writing “[be] careful what you wish for,” ending his cryptic message with a cheeky smiley face.
And now, just a few days later, Zhao, likely feeling the holiday season hit his nerves, revealed that his brainchild — Binance — will be adding the aforementioned asset as a “quote (base) shortly.”
Golem (GNT) Rallies Hard After Coinbase Listing (CryptoDaily), Rated: A
Golem (GNT) has once again appeared on the radar after a long time. The reason this time is the recent Coinbase Pro listing which resulted in a new wave of interest in the cryptocurrency. Golem (GNT) is without any doubt one of the most promising projects in the blockchain space.
Cryptocurrency – A Year in Review (Luno Email), Rated: AAA
A Bank of England Poll Shows Digital Assets are Taking Over Christmas (Cryptovibes), Rated: A
The poll kicked off on December 17th and it has two more days until the actual results are published after the polls close. Anything can happen although it is unlikely that the preference will change. So far, 72% of the almost 10,000 individuals revealed that they would prefer gifts in the form of digital currency.
Cash comes a distant second with a preference of about 20%. Bank transfers so far have acquired 6% while gift vouchers crawl in last with 2%.
Three use cases of blockchain technology in retail (Coin Rivet), Rated: A
A study by Juniper Research, a financial technology and payments analyst, claims retailers who implement blockchain will benefit from increased standardisation for payment processing and a substantially lower risk of error.
Improving the checkout experience
Blockchain technology is precisely the sort of development that can change the face of the online shopping process.
Smart contracts offer endless opportunities and uses. The security features and the ability to record all steps in a transaction lends smart contracts perfectly to scenarios where ownership is being transferred.
Smart contracts can even be used for paying out insurance policy claims
Crypto Mining Giant Bitmain May Purge 50% Of Staffers (Ethereum World News), Rated: AAA
Dovey Wan, a prominent Asian cryptocurrency entrepreneur and insider, recently drew attention to a post on China’s version of LinkedIn (“usually very high accuracy, posted by employees themselves”) that indicates that Bitmain, the Beijing-based crypto mining giant, is ready to begin a drastic layoff. Per the post, Bitmain may begin a layoff in the coming week.
32 cryptocurrencies are facing a delisting warning (Crypto News Review), Rated: A
A fun way to end the year for 32 different cryptocurrencies that have been given a festive treat by exchange Huobi. That’s because Huobi has threatened them all with potentially being delisting from the exchange.
Intelligent Investment Chain (IIC)
Ripio Credit Network (RCN)
Raiden Network Token (RDN)
Japanese Yen Trumps US Dollar in Bitcoin-to-Fiat Transactions (The Daily HODL), Rated: AAA
The Japanese Yen has surpassed the US dollar to become the most traded national currency in the Bitcoin-to-fiat market. According to data compiled by Coinhills, the yen now has a 48.34% market share compared to 43.77% for the US dollar, at time of writing.
The third and fourth most traded national currencies in the BTC-to-fiat markets are the Korean won and euro at 6.08% and 1.07%, respectively.
Facebook to create new cryptocurrency for WhatsApp (Blockpitch), Rated: A
One of the major technology companies over the past decade may soon have its own cryptocurrency as well. However, it will be for a messaging app they own and focused on a specific country. Reportedly, Facebook is going to create a cryptocurrency specifically for WhatsApp users in India.
South Korean University Now Offering Master’s in Cryptocurrency (BTC Wires), Rated: A
On Friday, the Seoul School of Integrated Sciences and Technologies (known as aSSIST) announced that it is now offering a Master’s of Business Administration (MBA) degree program in cryptocurrency and Blockchain technology. According to the announcement, the new course is “a master’s degree program in Blockchain, cryptoeconomics and token economy courses from technological, cryptoeconomic and business strategic perspectives.”
The Eurasian Economic Union To Launch Digital Currency in 2020 (Bit News Today), Rated: AAA
The Eurasian Economic Union, or EEU, can create a new digital currency by the next two years, the Deputy Finance Minister of Russia Alexei MOISEYEV claimed in his recent statement. From the economic point of view, the innovational currency can become the ECU (European Currency Unit) analogue, the predecessor of Euro from 1979 to 1998.
UAE to finalise ICO regulations by 2019 (Arabian Business), Rated: AAA
Regulations for initial coin offering (ICO) will be introduced in the UAE by the end of the first half of 2019, according to the country’s Securities and Commodities Authority (SCA), which has approved the offerings as securities.
Argentina Is Set to End 2018 With Eight New Cryptocurrency ATMs (Cryptoglobe), Rated: AAA
Argentina is reportedly set to end this year with eight new cryptocurrency ATMs – often known as BTMs – as companies have been investing in the country over the growing popularity of cryptos in the country.
Brazilian chain of supermarkets begins to accept payments from Litecoin, Bitcoin Cash and Bitcoin (Crypto Economy), Rated: A
Oásis Supermercados, a supermarket chain in Brazil is set to start accepting cryptocurrencies according to one of the supermarket’s managers named Douglas Andrade. Announced over the past week, the supermarket is set to start accepting Bitcoin [BTC], Bitcoin Cash [BCH] and Litecoin [LTC] – both of the latter two are variants of Bitcoin, the leading cryptocurrency.
SAIT to issue diplomas via blockchain (ICONews), Rated: AAA
In a positive development, the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (SAIT), announced on December 17th, that they would be issuing transcripts via blockchain.
Militants Use Crypto In Struggle to Secede (CCN), Rated: A
CCN’s David Hundeyin obtained an exclusive interview with Cameroonian militants who are attempting to establish their own country called Ambazonia.
Chris Anu, the militant movement’s Secretary of State for Communications and IT, said:
Cryptocurrency is freedom! It takes away control from centralized power and gives the power to the people and the private sector. It is independent of the control of a centralized government structure. Cryptocurrency is the next logical step in the evolution of fiat currency!