- Today’s main news: E*Trade considering Bitcoin, Ethereum listings. Binance launches Binance Chain. Ontology to launch Paxos. Australians lost $489M to crypto scams in 2018.
- Today’s main analysis: Why Bitcoin could go to $10K or higher.
- Today’s thought-provoking articles: The Winklevosses after Facebook. Ripple still at risk. Crypto funds could drop by 40%. Binance says Ripple best diversifier, BTC & ETH most correlated.
- E*Trade could list Bitcoin, Ethereum. If this happens, it very well could lead to the next bull read.
- Why Bitcoin may hit $10,000 and go beyond. A very interesting analysis on Seeking Alpha.
- Ripple price still at risk of more declines.
- What happened to the Winklevoss’s after Facebook. Two of the biggest names in crypto hold more Bitcoin than anyone other than Satoshi, the creator of Bitcoin. This is an interesting video interview.
- Cryptocurrency funds could drop by almost 40%. If this happens, it will likely lead to more trading on those that stick around.
- Historical bearish formation may spell trouble for Bitcoin bulls.
- The growing institutional interest in Bitcoin.
- Coinomi partners with Binance DEX.
- Liquid.com closes funding round with $1 billion valuation.
- Moody warns of private blockchain risks.
- How a hacker has stolen millions of ETH by guessing weak private keys.
- SEC looking for a crypto analyst.
- S4FE helps luxury brands fight counterfeit goods.
- Binance Research says Ripple is best diversifier. Bitcoin and Ethereum are most correlated.
- Cosmos soars 27% on Binance listing.
- Ethereum dominance in decline.
- Bitcoin to underperform as altcoin season resumes.
- Is the Financial Stability Board on point with enterprise blockchain adoption?
- Switzerland, Iran to continue crypto trading.
- Binance Chain launches. Initial excitement has Binance Chain competing directly with Ethereum, but will it long term?
- A look at Societe Generale’s launch on Ethereum. From CoinDesk
- Binance delists Bitcoin SV.
- Binance users earn $20 for testing Matic’s crypto wallet.
- SOMA riases over $1 million for Stellar marketplace.
- HoryouToken launches for economic, social inclusion.
- Port of Rotterdam deploys blockchain for green power.
- Ontology to launch Paxos.
- HTC to release second-generation blockchain phone.
- GSR launches variance swaps for hedging Bitcoin volatility.
- Gifto heads to Binance Chain.
- Top crypto leaders meet in Singapore to discuss the future.
- DigixDAO hits $62.21 million market cap.
- Singapore police rescue victim from Bitcoin machine scam.
- GBCI announces Building Cities Beyond Blockchain project.
- Indian government calls cryptocurrencies a ponzi scheme.
- Australians lost AU$489 million to crypto scams last year.
- United Kingdom: Jaguar plans to allow Land Rover drivers a way to earn crypto.
- Palestine: Hamas get sophisticated with Bitcoin system.
- Dubai: British baroness luxury Bitcoin development is delayed.
- Australia: Popularity of crypto scams grow.
- United States
- E*Trade may offer trading for Bitcoin and Ethereum (engadget), Rated: AAA
- Why Bitcoin Could Be Headed To $ 10,000 And Then A Lot Higher After That (Seeking Alpha), Rated: AAA
- Historically Bearish Technical Formation May Spell Trouble for Bitcoin Bulls (NewsBTC), Rated: A
- Crypto fund reveals growing institutional interest in Bitcoin (Chepicap), Rated: A
- What Happened to the Winklevii After Facebook (Fortune), Rated: AAA
- Ripple (XRP) Price Remains At Risk Of Further Decline (NewsBTC), Rated: AAA
- Coinomi partners with Binance DEX, Positive for BNB (Ethereum World News), Rated: A
- Liquid.com Closes Funding Round Valuing Crypto Firm at ‘Over $ 1 Billion’ (CryptoNewsZ), Rated: A
- Bond Rating Agency Moody’s Warns on Risks of Private Blockchains (CoinDesk), Rated: A
- How a Hacker Has Been Stealing Millions Worth of ETH by Guessing Weak Private Keys (Coin Telegraph), Rated: A
- SEC on the hunt for ‘Cryptocurrency Analyst’ as demand for decentralised currency experts grows (AMB Crypto), Rated: A
- Cryptocurrency Funds projected to drop by almost 40 percent in 2019 (AMB Crypto), Rated: AAA
- How a Blockchain Search Engine Helps Luxury Brands Fight Counterfeit Goods (Chicago Tribune), Rated: A
- Binance Research Says Ripple ‘Best Diversifier’, Bitcoin and Ethereum Most Correlated (Ethereum World News), Rated: AAA
- Cosmos Soars 27% Upon Binance Listing, Crypto Community Raves (CCN), Rated: A
- Ethereum’s Dominance Declining as Compared to Stellar, EOS and TRON (CryptoNewsZ), Rated: A
- Textbook Trend Reveals Altseason May Resume, Bitcoin To Underperform (Ethereum World News), Rated: A
- Is The Financial Stability Board On Point With Enterprise Blockchain Adoption? (Forbes), Rated: A
- Despite US Sanctions, Switzerland And Iran Continue Trading Thanks To Cryptocurrencies (Invest in Blockchain), Rated: B
- European Union
- LAUNCH SEES DEVELOPERS AND ENTREPRENEURS RECONSIDERING ETHEREUM (Bitcoinist), Rated: AAA
- Binance delisting Bitcoin SV [BSV] a matter of due diligence (AMB Crypto), Rated: A
- Binance Users Can Earn $ 20 for Testing Matic Network’s Crypto Wallet (SludgeFeed), Rated: B
- A Glimpse of Banking’s Future, Live on the Ethereum Blockchain (CoinDesk), Rated: AAA
- SOMA procures over $ 1 million for Stellar marketplace (AMB Crypto), Rated: A
- HoryouToken, The 1st Digital Currency For Economic And Social Inclusion (Cryptodaily), Rated: A
- Port of Rotterdam Deploys Blockchain for Green Power (Maritime Executive), Rated: A
- United Kingdom
- Jaguar Land Rover planning to allow helpful car drivers to earn cryptocurrency (Reuters), Rated: AAA
- China/Hong Kong
- Ontology to Launch USD-Pegged Paxos on Its Blockchain (Finance Magnates), Rated: AAA
- HTC is Set to Release Second-Generation Blockchain Phone in 2019 (Altcoin Buzz), Rated: A
- GSR Launches Variance Swaps: A Structured Product for Hedging Bitcoin Volatility (Business Wire), Rated: A
- Gifto migrates to Binance Chain (Medium), Rated: B
- Cryptocurrency scams took over AU$ 6m from Australians in 2018: ACCC (ZDNet), Rated: AAA
- Popularity of cryptocurrencies among scammers grows (Computer World), Rated: A
- Crypto’s Long Road to Acceptance May Have Started Here (Bloomberg), Rated: AAA
- DigixDAO Reaches Market Cap of $ 62.21 Million (Finance Daily), Rated: A
- Singapore Police Rescue Victim from Elaborate Bitcoin Machine Scam (CCN), Rated: A
- GBCI announces first venture built project — Building Cities Beyond Blockchain (Cryptoninjas), Rated: A
- Indian Government: Cryptocurrencies are a ponzi scheme, should be banned (Blockmanity), Rated: A
- Hamas Sophisticating Its Bitcoin Donations System (Crowdfund Insider), Rated: AAA
- British Baroness’ $ 325 Million Luxury Bitcoin Development Suffers Delays (CCN), Rated: A
E*Trade may offer trading for Bitcoin and Ethereum (engadget), Rated: AAA
A Bloombergsource claims E*Trade is in the midst of work to enable trading cryptocurrencies, starting with Bitcoin and Ethereum. It would think about adding other currencies going forward, according to the tipster. It’s not certain exactly when trading would open.
Why Bitcoin Could Be Headed To $ 10,000 And Then A Lot Higher After That (Seeking Alpha), Rated: AAA
Bitcoin (BTC-USD) has just gone through one of its most tumultuous bear markets in history. Bitcoin prices tumbled by as much as 85%, and many altcoins crashed by 95-99%. The cryptocurrency complex experienced a price collapse of nearly 90%, dropping from over $800 billion at its peak to just $100 billion when the bottom hit.
Performance Since 2018 Bottom
- Bitcoin: up by 65% (from the bottom at $3,200).
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH-USD): up 230%
- Litecoin (LTC-USD): up 213%
- Dash (DASH-USD): up 83%
- Zcash (ZEC-USD): up 33%
- Cryptocurrency complex: up 70%
Historically Bearish Technical Formation May Spell Trouble for Bitcoin Bulls (NewsBTC), Rated: A
At the time of writing, Bitcoin is trading up nearly 1% at its current price of $5,310, up slightly from its daily lows of $5,260.
Earlier this week, BTC fell from highs of well over $5,600 due to news surrounding the New York Attorney General’s office claiming that controversial stablecoin Tether and related cryptocurrency exchange Bitfinex, have been defrauding investors and traders.
Crypto fund reveals growing institutional interest in Bitcoin (Chepicap), Rated: A
According to Silbert, one of Digital Currency Group’s child companies, Grayscale recently raised over $20 million for its family of funds, which includes the Bitcoin trust (GBTC). This represents the highest weekly raise since 2017.
What Happened to the Winklevii After Facebook (Fortune), Rated: AAA
Readers of 2009’s The Accidental Billionaires (and viewers of the film adaptation, The Social Network) might have thought that Tyler and Cameron Winklevoss got short shrift—both in what happened at Facebook and in having a smaller slice of the narrative.
Ripple (XRP) Price Remains At Risk Of Further Decline (NewsBTC), Rated: AAA
- Ripple price recovered recently above the $0.2900 level and tested $0.2960 against the US dollar.
- The price seems to be facing a strong resistance near the $0.2950 and $0.2960 resistance levels.
- There is a connecting bearish trend line forming with resistance near $0.2935 on the hourly chart of the XRP/USD pair (data source from Kraken).
- The pair could revisit the $0.2810 level as long as it is trading below $0.2960 and $0.3000.
Coinomi partners with Binance DEX, Positive for BNB (Ethereum World News), Rated: A
Cryptocurrency wallet provider, Coinomi has announced its partnership with Binance DEX in a move that would see them provide support for the BNB token.
Liquid.com Closes Funding Round Valuing Crypto Firm at ‘Over $ 1 Billion’ (CryptoNewsZ), Rated: A
Liquid.com is a crypto firm which is owned by Quoine- Japanese crypto exchange. It was launched in September 2018 by Quoine. The main objective of the firm was to provide the users with open access to a “worldwide network of cryptocurrency exchanges.”
Bond Rating Agency Moody’s Warns on Risks of Private Blockchains (CoinDesk), Rated: A
Rating agency Moody’s has warned of several risks of private, centralized blockchains in a report for clients examining the pros and cons of the technology for financial firms.
In the document, seen by CoinDesk, Moody’s emphasizes the difference in security between private and public blockchains, saying that consensus mechanisms in private chains may not be as strong as those seen in public chains, or may be absent altogether.
How a Hacker Has Been Stealing Millions Worth of ETH by Guessing Weak Private Keys (Coin Telegraph), Rated: A
Despite establishing around 700 weak private keys that are being regularly used by multiple people, the researchers found a “blockchain bandit” who has managed to collect almost 45,000 ether (ETH) by successfully guessing those frail private keys. Cointelegraph interviewed Adrian Bednarek, a senior security analyst at ISE, to find out more about what they describe as “ethercombing.”
SEC on the hunt for ‘Cryptocurrency Analyst’ as demand for decentralised currency experts grows (AMB Crypto), Rated: A
Cryptocurrency and blockchain related jobs are on the rise with regulatory heavyweights looking to hire experts in the field. The United States’ Securities and Exchange Commission [SEC] is also looking to further its understanding of the field after it released a job posting, signaling their intention to hire a cryptocurrency analyst.
Cryptocurrency Funds projected to drop by almost 40 percent in 2019 (AMB Crypto), Rated: AAA
Funds centered around virtual currencies have been growing, especially post the December 2017 rally, but the subsequent crypto-winter looks to have petered out the growth. Research conducted by Crypto Fund Research indicated that cryptocurrency funds have declined by just shy of 40 percent from 2018 to 2019. The study suggested that funds were divided almost equally between Venture Capitals and Hedge Funds, with Private Equities taking less than 3 percent of the total.
See the full report here.
How a Blockchain Search Engine Helps Luxury Brands Fight Counterfeit Goods (Chicago Tribune), Rated: A
S4FE , a private company founded in 2018, is using blockchain to power their innovative system for identifying forgeries – the same platform can also be used to track personal property and identify lost or stolen goods. In an interview with Diego Mourad , CEO of S4FE Foundation, we found out more about the ways this platform can help reduce crime.
4. The value of S4FE has increased by 600% since the start of 2019. To what do you credit this success?
After all the scams in the past, people started to take more time in examining projects and now hold back their investments until they feel that an option is relatively safe – in terms of speculative investments. This shift led to two symptoms: on the one side, it became harder to finance any form of blockchain-related venture. On the other side, once a project builds trust by showing results, people will honor the achievement by investing.
Binance Research Says Ripple ‘Best Diversifier’, Bitcoin and Ethereum Most Correlated (Ethereum World News), Rated: AAA
Bitcoin (BTC) and Ethereum (ETH) move in lockstep and the Ripple (XRP) price is the least correlated to other top cryptoassets.
Those are some of the findings from the latest report from Binance Research.
The key findings of the report published on 26 April showed that the top two cryptoasset by market cap, Bitcoin and Ethereum, had very high weekly returns correlation, coming in at 0.87.
Among assets with a market cap of $3 billion or more Ripple (XRP) is the least correlated, which makes it “the best diversifier”, according to Binance Research. XRP’s correlation with BTC has fallen from 0.875 two months ago to 0.53.
Cosmos Soars 27% Upon Binance Listing, Crypto Community Raves (CCN), Rated: A
ATOM, the native crypto asset of the highly anticipated Cosmos blockchain network, has been listed by Binance, the world’s largest crypto exchange.
Ethereum’s Dominance Declining as Compared to Stellar, EOS and TRON (CryptoNewsZ), Rated: A
Ethereum seems to be losing its position of second largest crypto in the world to the other altcoin.
This is apparently happening as the developers are preferring to switch to other coins rather than sticking to ETH. These developers who are looking for better opportunity and exposure along with market value are going to the projects like Stellar, and Tron.
At the beginning of 2019, Ethereum’s platform was responsible for a mere 28% of dapps; while, on the other hand, the EOS network enjoyed a share as large as 48%.
Textbook Trend Reveals Altseason May Resume, Bitcoin To Underperform (Ethereum World News), Rated: A
Over the past week, altcoins (crypto assets other than Bitcoin) have begun to slip. In fact, as of the time of writing this, Bitcoin dominance is sitting at a casual 54.4%, the highest this figure has read since mid-December, when BTC was in the midst of the capitulation to the low $3,000s. This recent altcoin action is starkly contrasted by the jaw-dropping rallies we saw in digital assets such as Litecoin, Binance Coin, Tezos, and EOS over the past few months.
When such a body declares that crypto assets are a development that could challenge existing global financial frameworks, even after the steep decline in the crypto market over the last few months, it’s a reminder to look beyond exchange prices.
First, we have to remember that the blockchains utilized by these major players are, for the most part, private. This means that they do not rely on crypto to operate, because they do not require miners.
However, this is still a step forward for the industry, because the usage of private blockchains will inevitably lead to usage of public blockchains.
Despite US Sanctions, Switzerland And Iran Continue Trading Thanks To Cryptocurrencies (Invest in Blockchain), Rated: B
Swiss companies have been waiting for the authorities to introduce legislation, and some believe it is not far off. Simon Fundel, President of the Swiss-Iranian Chamber of Commerce, said that he expects “the first transactions in the next three to four months,”
The European Commission has since taken steps to ensure that legitimate businesses can function in the nation.
LAUNCH SEES DEVELOPERS AND ENTREPRENEURS RECONSIDERING ETHEREUM (Bitcoinist), Rated: AAA
Last week, Binance announced the launch of Binance Chain, its native Blockchain platform that will facilitate the issuing, exchanging, and usage of digital assets. Apart from the fact that Binance Chain opens a new world of possibilities for cryptocurrency projects, the BEPs protocol on Binance Chain also shows some significant difference Ethereum’s ERC-20 protocol that currently dominates the crypto space.
Binance delisting Bitcoin SV [BSV] a matter of due diligence (AMB Crypto), Rated: A
The cryptocurrency community was shaken up last week due to the feud between Bitcoin SV [BSV] and, well, everyone else. Following the legal charge, the climax of the “Delisting Dilemma” was Binance axing the coin, leading to a landslide of exclusions for the Calvin Ayre and Craig Wright-led project.
Binance Users Can Earn $ 20 for Testing Matic Network’s Crypto Wallet (SludgeFeed), Rated: B
Matic Network (MATIC), a platform for scalable and instant blockchain transactions based out of India, has teamed up with Binance to promote the testing of its new cryptocurrency wallet with a free giveaway.
According to the announcement, interested Binance users can sign up to download the Matic Wallet on iOS or Android and send transactions using MTEST testnet tokens. Matic Network will randomly select 3,000 users who completed at least one transaction to receive $20 in MATIC. The program will run from today until May 4.
A Glimpse of Banking’s Future, Live on the Ethereum Blockchain (CoinDesk), Rated: AAA
At first glance, this week’s move by the investment bank Societe Generale to issue a security token-like bond in which it was both the issuer and the sole investor might seem like a pointless act. Not so much a peer-to-peer transaction; just a peer transaction.
But one element of the announcement suggests this was actually an important step in financial institutions’ sometimes fractious relationship with cryptocurrencies and blockchain technology. You see, Societe Generale’s $112 million bond issue used smart contracts built not a private, permissioned blockchain but on the public, permissionless ethereum blockchain.
SOMA procures over $ 1 million for Stellar marketplace (AMB Crypto), Rated: A
The relevance of blockchain-powered marketplaces has been on an upward swing, leading to sovereign governments entering the fray as well. SOMA, the decentralized platform allowing social interaction via blockchain technology has secured a whopping €1.1. million euros [$1.23 million], which also includes financial backing from the government of Finland.
HoryouToken, The 1st Digital Currency For Economic And Social Inclusion (Cryptodaily), Rated: A
Port of Rotterdam Deploys Blockchain for Green Power (Maritime Executive), Rated: A
The Port of Rotterdam’s blockchain incubator, BlockLab, is beginning to launch its first applications, according to the seaport.
Jaguar Land Rover planning to allow helpful car drivers to earn cryptocurrency (Reuters), Rated: AAA
The company is developing what it calls “smart wallet” technology to be installed in its automobiles. This would reward Jaguar car drivers with IOTA coins for actions such as enabling their vehicles to automatically report useful data, such as traffic congestion or potholes to navigation providers or local authorities.
Drivers could also earn rewards if the car participates in a ride-sharing program, Jaguar said.
Ontology to Launch USD-Pegged Paxos on Its Blockchain (Finance Magnates), Rated: AAA
The enterprise blockchain platform on Saturday has announced that it will launch up to $100 million worth USD-pegged stablecoin Paxos (PAX) on its blockchain.
Launched in September last year, PAX is available only available on Ethereum’s blockchain as an ERC-20 coin. The coin was approved by the New York State Department of Financial Services (NYDFS) and the company claims that it is the first “ first regulated USD stablecoin.”
HTC is Set to Release Second-Generation Blockchain Phone in 2019 (Altcoin Buzz), Rated: A
According to TAIPEI (Taiwan News), Taiwan-headquartered electronics manufacturer, HTC, is set to release a second-generation blockchain phone.
GSR Launches Variance Swaps: A Structured Product for Hedging Bitcoin Volatility (Business Wire), Rated: A
GSR has launched its latest product, the Bitcoin Variance Swap. Investors, traders, and companies can now purchase and hedge their digital asset portfolio against the volatility of Bitcoin through the GSR Bitcoin Variance Swap.
Gifto migrates to Binance Chain (Medium), Rated: B
While we have tremendous respect for what the Ethereum community has built, it’s time for Gifto and the Gifto Wallet to move to a new blockchain that better suits our aggressive plans for mainstream adoption; one where the real usage and growth of the Gifto ecosystem can be shown today without incurring massive fees or slow transaction times which negatively impact user experience.
So, without further ado: Binance Chain, here we come.
Cryptocurrency scams took over AU$ 6m from Australians in 2018: ACCC (ZDNet), Rated: AAA
Almost half a billion dollars were lost by Australians due to scams in 2018, according to an Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) report released on Monday.
The report stated that the ACCC-controlled Scamwatch and other government agencies received over 378,000 scam reports in 2018, with the total combined losses from scams exceeding AU$489 million — AU$149 million more than the year prior, up 41.7% year on year.
See the full report here.
Popularity of cryptocurrencies among scammers grows (Computer World), Rated: A
“The scam category with the highest reported losses to cryptocurrencies was ‘investment scams’ with $2.6 million in reported losses,” the Targeting Scams report stated.
Investment scams were the most lucrative, reaping an $86 million windfall, up 34 per cent compared on 2017.
Crypto’s Long Road to Acceptance May Have Started Here (Bloomberg), Rated: AAA
Only after the cryptocurrency craze’s collapse hit bottom in December did Standard Chartered Plc veteran Hoe Lon Leng issue his call to the market’s biggest traders: join him to brainstorm making digital tokens part of the world’s financial architecture.
It may seem quixotic, but the goal of the two dozen men gathered Jan. 20 at a resort on Singapore’s Sentosa Island was to create the framework for an orderly market in crypto derivatives—part of every primitive asset class’s journey to acceptance. If they succeed, those hours spent in Sofitel meeting rooms hemmed in between an 18-hole golf course and one of the city-state’s sandy beaches could prove to be a turning point, these true believers say.
DigixDAO Reaches Market Cap of $ 62.21 Million (Finance Daily), Rated: A
DigixDAO traded 2.4% higher against the dollar during the twenty-four hour period ending at 7:00 AM Eastern on April 28th. DigixDAO has a total market cap of $62.21 million and approximately $2.74 million worth of DigixDAO was traded on exchanges in the last 24 hours. In the last week, DigixDAO has traded up 27% against the dollar. One DigixDAO token can currently be purchased for approximately $31.10 or 0.00586434 BTC on major exchanges including Bitbns, AirSwap, Cobinhood and Liqui.
A police investigation involving bitcoin machines at Tampines One Mall in Singapore saved a 32-year-old man from scammers impersonating officials. They also helped a 49-year-old man not to transfer any more of his bitcoin to the alleged lying thieves.
GBCI announces first venture built project — Building Cities Beyond Blockchain (Cryptoninjas), Rated: A
Indian Government: Cryptocurrencies are a ponzi scheme, should be banned (Blockmanity), Rated: A
On 27th April, Indian Government took out a statement stating virtual currencies such as Bitcoin and other cryptocurrency are often used for terror financing or in the illegal drug trade and are a Ponzi scheme designed to dupe investors. They should be banned.
Hamas Sophisticating Its Bitcoin Donations System (Crowdfund Insider), Rated: AAA
Israeli civic-defence groups have been sounding the alarm since January that the militant Palestinian-liberation organization Hamas has started raising funds via Bitcoin.
Scottish lingerie tycoon and parliamentarian Baroness Michelle Mone seems to be stuck in a second failed crypto venture. Her £250m ($325 million) condo development in Dubai that would be sold for bitcoin is on hold. Government officials who’ve visited the site of what The Sunday Times callsa “bitcoin bolthole” say construction has stopped.