- Today’s main news: San Francisco Open Exchange says quit calling Ether an altcoin. Ripple Q2 2019 markets report. Zuckerberg plays the long game with Libra regulators. Binance’s success is attributed to centralization. South Korea intros regulation-free blockchain zone. Genesis lends $746 million in digital assets.
- Today’s main analysis: Ethereum spikes despite downtrend.
- Today’s thought-provoking articles: Crypto winners and losers. The solution to centralized Bitcoin mining. Crypto market at major crossroads. The tokenization of sports. Bank of China infographic on BTC price increase.
- San Francisco Open Exchange recommends Ethereum stop being called altcoin. And makes some good points along the way.
- Ripple’s Q2 2019 markets report. XRP is listed on over 130 exchanges and Ripple will reduce future sales, which amounted to $251.51 million in Q2 2019. XRP’s price seems to be modest compared to its achievements.
- Making sense of Ripple’s Q2 report.
- Genesis posts strongest quarter ever with $746 million in loan originations. Congratulations! Excellent achievement.
- Zuckerberg vows to win over Libra regulators no matter how long it takes. And given the current political climate, it could take awhile.
- 7 things you should know about Libra.
- Podcast: Facebook’s bid to break banking.
- Litecoin may soon not be deemed an altcoin any more.
- Charlie Lee reignites LTC’s Instamine controversy.
- Ripple’s CEO sends letter to Congress over regulatory uncertainty.
- Ripple, Ethereum join NY Crypto Task Force.
- Peter Schiff says Bitcoin’s success is due to early whales.
- Justin Sun apologizes for postponing lunch with Warren Buffett.
- Abra to restrict services due to regulation.
- HashCash offers reseller program.
- Steemit plans upgrades, gets criticized.
- US sues Russian crypto exchange owner for $100 million.
- IRS sends over 10,000 warning letters to crypto holders.
- IRS insider reveals on Reddit the IRS crypto letter method.
- Arizona okays digital currency for medical marijuana.
- The dark side of public blockchains.
- SEC issues no-action letter to Quarters.
- The no-action letter.
- ILCoin redefines blockchain technology.
- West Virginia’s blockchain voting experiment gets criticized.
- AlphaPoint named best distributed-ledger technology provider.
- Bitcoin, Ether, and XRP. Short, but to the point.
- The solution to centralized Bitcoin mining. An interesting read.
- Crypto market at a crossroads. The market is struggling at the moment after Libra put on hold by regulators in the U.S. Bitcoin is down, EOS is facing obstacles, BNB is bearish, Bitcoin Cash is pushing hard against resistance, and Tron is holding. What will happen next?
- The tokenization of sports. This is probably the best read of the day.
- Small states betting big on cryptocurrency.
- Unregulated exchanges fake Bitcoin trading.
- Vitalik Buterin’s mom is on inclusion mission.
- Top 10 DeFi platforms.
- Most significant use cases for cryptocurrency.
- Opera, Ontology partner on DeFi growth.
- Magnum Wallet partners with Trezor Wallet on NEM.
- John McAfee arrested.
- Ethereum spikes. This is interesting because the market has been sliding, including Ethereum. What caused the spike?
- 7 reasons why Ethereum is not an altcoin.
- Binance Coin’s success is attributed to centralization. There is something to be said for centralization, despite the hype around decentralization.
- ARPA to be listed on Binance DEX.
- Bitcoin Suisse makes BTC trade at 4,000 meters above sea level.
- What to like and what to fear about cryptocurrencies.
- South Korea introduces regulation-free blockchain zone.
- 03 Wallet enhances Coinbase Connect integration.
- Shinhan Card Co. wins blockchain credit system patent.
- Blockchain copyright under CDI certification.
- iBOFi.io launches.
- Perlin acquires Dispatch Labs.
- China: Bank of China infographic on BTC price increase. In Chinese.
- Iran authorizes crypto mining as industrial activity.
- United Kingdom: Glu seeks 300,000 GBP through Seedrs.
- Canada: Ontario Securities Regulator settles with CoinLaunch.
- Kenya considers ICOs.
- Australia wants to limit cash payments, not crypto.
- China: Oranco tests anti-counterfeiting solution on blockchain.
- United States
- New SFOX Report: Don’t Call Ethereum an ‘Altcoin’ Anymore (Coin Telegraph), Rated: AAA
- Litecoin may not be deemed as an “altcoin” much further as new report suggests Ethereum brewing as an asset (Our Bitcoin News), Rated: A
- Litecoin’s Charlie Lee Reignites Instamine Controversy Eight Years After LTC’s Launch (CryptoGlobe), Rated: B
- Q2 2019 XRP Markets Report (Ripple), Rated: AAA
- Making Sense Of XRP’s Q2 Report (ZyCrypto), Rated: A
- Ripple CEO writes open letter to Congress over regulatory uncertainty (Yahoo! Finance), Rated: A
- Ripple and Ethereum Appointed to Join NY Crypto Task Force (Altcoin Buzz), Rated: B
- ‘However Long It Takes’: Zuckerberg Vows to Win Over Libra Regulators (CoinDesk), Rated: AAA
- 7 Things You Should Know About Facebook’s New Cryptocurrency Libra (Interesting Engineering), Rated: A
- Facebook’s bid to break banking (American Banker), Rated: A
- Peter Schiff Pounces, Chalks Up Bitcoin to Marketing Success for Early Whales (Yahoo! Finance), Rated: A
- Justin Sun Apologizes After Postponing Charity Lunch With Warren Buffett (WSJ), Rated: A
- Genesis Posts Strongest-Ever Quarter with $ 746 Million in New Loan Originations (Yahoo! Finance), Rated: AAA
- Mobile App to Restrict Services For U.S. Users Due to Regulatory Issues (Crowdfund Insider), Rated: A
- The Reseller Program by HashCash Creates New Revenue Streams for its Partnership Network (Yahoo! Finance), Rated: A
- Steemit Plans Series of Upgrades, Receives Harsh Criticism (Be in Crypto), Rated: A
- The US is suing a cryptocurrency exchange owner to the tune of $ 100M (The Next Web), Rated: A
- IRS Sends 10,000+ Letters of Warning to Crypto Holders (Finance Magnates), Rated: A
- IRS insider reveals IRS crypto letter campaign method on Reddit (Cryptopolitan), Rated: A
- Digital currency gets OK for medical marijuana (Eastern Arizona Courier), Rated: A
- The Dark Side Of Public Blockchains: Unintended Use (Forbes), Rated: A
- The World’s First Cross-Game Currency to Receive No Action Relief from the SEC is Quarters (Gamasutra), Rated: A
- Response of the Division of Corporation Finance (SEC.gov), Rated: B
- ILCoin is Redefining Blockchain Technology with a Different, More Calculated Approach (NewsBTC), Rated: A
- WV Internet Voting Experiment Criticized (Public News Service), Rated: A
- Best Distributed-Ledger Technology Provider: AlphaPoint (Waters Technology), Rated: B
- Winners and Losers (Coin Telegraph), Rated: AAA
- Bitcoin Mining Centralization Is ‘Quite Alarming’, But A Solution Is In The Works (Forbes), Rated: AAA
- Crypto Market And Bitcoin at Major Crossroads: BCH, BNB, EOS, TRX Analysis (NewsBTC), Rated: AAA
- Tokenizing Sports — How the Industry Is Incorporating Crypto (Coin Telegraph), Rated: AAA
- From Belarus to Bahrain, the small states going big on cryptocurrency (Reuters), Rated: A
- Research Reveals That Unregulated Exchanges fake most of the Bitcoin Trading (CryptoNewsZ), Rated: A
- Meet Vitalik Buterin’s Mom. Her Mission Is Inclusion, Not Ethereum (CoinDesk), Rated: A
- Top 10 DeFi Platforms in 2019 (Bitcoin Market Journal), Rated: A
- The Most Significant Use Cases For Cryptocurrency (Coin Revolution), Rated: A
- Opera and Ontology Partner For Growth Of DeFi And Blockchain Ecology (CryptoNewsZ), Rated: A
- Magnum Wallet Announces Partnership With Trezor Wallet For NEM Crypto Project (BTC Wires), Rated: B
- John McAfee arrested aboard a yacht in the Dominican Republic (Coin Telegraph), Rated: B
- European Union
- Ethereum Price (ETH) Spiking Higher But Remains In Downtrend (NewsBTC), Rated: AAA
- Seven reasons why Ethereum is no longer an altcoin (Yahoo! Finance), Rated: A
- Weiss Ratings: Binance Coin’s Success Is Attributed To Its Centralized Nature (Coin Revolution), Rated: AAA
- ARPA Latest Project to Be Listed on Binance’s Surging DEX (The Tradable), Rated: A
- Bitcoin Suisse ‘Highest BTC Trade Ever’ Over 4,000 Metres Above Sea Level (CryptoGlobe), Rated: A
- United Kingdom
- Cryptocurrency Community Platform Glu Seeks £300,000 Through Seedrs Funding Round (Crowdfund Insider), Rated: AAA
- Bank of China’s Infographic Shows the Reasons Behing BTC’s Price Increase (Coinspeaker), Rated: AAA
- Chinese alchohol wholesaler Oranco tests blockchain-based anti-counterfeiting solution (Tokenpost), Rated: A
- AUSTRALIA WANTS TO LIMIT CASH PAYMENTS NOT CRYPTOCURRENCY (Bitcoinist), Rated: AAA
- Understanding cryptocurrencies: What’s to like, and what’s to fear (The Indian Express), Rated: AAA
- O3 Wallet enhances Coinbase Connect integration in version 3.0 (NEO News Today), Rated: A
- South Korea Introduces “Regulation-Free Blockchain Zone” (Cryptobriefing), Rated: AAA
- Korea’s Biggest Credit Card Firm Wins Patent For Blockchain Credit System (Mondaq), Rated: A
- Blockchain copyright under the DCI certification (PR Newswire), Rated: A
- Singapore’s First Decentralized Global Lending Platform iBOFi.io Officially Launched and Supported by ZOS Blockchain (Yahoo! Finance), Rated: A
- Singapore blockchain firm Perlin acquires struggling Dispatch Labs (Tokenpost), Rated: B
- Iranian Gov’t Authorizes Cryptocurrency Mining As Industrial Activity (Coin Telegraph), Rated: AAA
- Kenya mulls over ICOs for citizens (IT Web Africa), Rated: AAA
- $ 50,000: Ontario Securities Regulator Settles With ICO Promoter CoinLaunch (CryptoGlobe), Rated: AAA
New SFOX Report: Don’t Call Ethereum an ‘Altcoin’ Anymore (Coin Telegraph), Rated: AAA
Institutional cryptocurrency exchange San Francisco Open Exchange (SFOX) suggested that Ether (ETH) may not be an altcoin anymore, in its latest market report published on July 24.
Litecoin may not be deemed as an “altcoin” much further as new report suggests Ethereum brewing as an asset (Our Bitcoin News), Rated: A
In light of this analysis by the SFOX, LTC being designated as a full-on digital asset is wholeheartedly possible. A couple of weeks ago, the Flexa integration of LTC was hailed as a phenomenal move, as the platform has access to over 39,000 merchants across the globe. Most people said that this deal came about as the halving is to occur in a short while.
Litecoin’s Charlie Lee Reignites Instamine Controversy Eight Years After LTC’s Launch (CryptoGlobe), Rated: B
Litecoin founder Charlie Lee took to Twitter to provide a counterargument and explanation for LTC’s instamine, a cryptocurrency that was launched eight years ago.
Q2 2019 XRP Markets Report (Ripple), Rated: AAA
- Overall market capitalization of digital assets sharply increased in Q2.
- Ripple sold $251.51 million XRP in Q2 2019 and is substantially reducing future sales of XRP.
- Given the concerns about overstated market trading volumes, CryptoCompare will be Ripple’s primary benchmark for XRP market volume going forward.
- Three billion XRP were released out of cryptographic escrow, 2.10 billion returned to escrow.
- XRP is now listed on over 130 exchanges worldwide.
|Sales Summary (dollar in millions)||Q1 2019||Q2 2019|
|Institutional direct sales||61.93||106.87|
|Global XRP volume||Q1 2019||Q2 2019|
|ADV XRP (dollar in millions)||595.28*||1753.57*||429.51**|
|Total XRP volume(dollar in billions)||53.85*||159.57*||39.09**|
|Total sales as % of total volume||0.32%*||0.16%*||0.64%**|
*data from coinmarketcap.com; **data from CryptoCompare Top Tier
In Q2 2019, Ripple sold $106.87 million XRP in institutional direct sales and $144.64 million in programmatic sales. In total, the company sold $251.51 million XRP in Q2.
Making Sense Of XRP’s Q2 Report (ZyCrypto), Rated: A
With three Billion XRP valued at $251 Million released into the markets and roughly two-thirds of it were brought back as escrow, it is obvious that Ripple Labs and a few people control the market share.
Through partnerships with MoneyGram, the deployment of Xrapid which is its tool for quick value transfers is going to allow for XRP to be used in a real-life best-case scenario.
As part of a policy-making exercise, the US Securities and Exchange Commission is about to create an XRP Node.
This shows the US Government’s interest in trying to get its share of the crypto pie.
Ripple CEO writes open letter to Congress over regulatory uncertainty (Yahoo! Finance), Rated: A
Brad Garlinghouse, CEO of Ripple, and Chris Larsen, co-founder and executive chairman of the firm, have jointly penned an open letter to U.S. Congress over regulatory issues in the cryptocurrency space.
In their letter issued Sunday, Garlinghouse and Larsen say, without regulatory clarity, there is a risk to innovation, tax revenue, and jobs that blockchain technology has to offer.
Ripple and Ethereum Appointed to Join NY Crypto Task Force (Altcoin Buzz), Rated: B
Member of the New York State Assembly, Clyde Vanel, announced the appointment of six additional members in the task force.
Peter Schiff Pounces, Chalks Up Bitcoin to Marketing Success for Early Whales (Yahoo! Finance), Rated: A
The bitcoin price is once again hovering below the $10,000 level, which the bulls see as a buying opportunity and the skeptics take as a chance to make digs. Gold bug Peter Schiffis among the first to pounce and rather than buying is doubling down on his bearish sentiment.
Cryptocurrency investor and entrepreneur Justin Sun apologized on Chinese social media for what he described as “excessive self promotion,” after a tumultuous few days following his postponement of a charity lunch with Warren Buffett this week.
“I feel deeply ashamed of my excessive self-promotion as well as my penchant for hyping up things,” the 29-year-old said in a long post in Chinese on Weibo, a Twitter-like microblogging site in China.
Genesis Posts Strongest-Ever Quarter with $ 746 Million in New Loan Originations (Yahoo! Finance), Rated: AAA
Genesis today released its Digital Asset Lending Snapshot for the second quarter of 2019. Genesis posted its best quarter since launching the business in March 2018, originating more than $746 million in loans and borrows, a 48% quarter-over-quarter (QoQ) increase. Total active loans also increased to $454 million, a 149% QoQ uptick from the end of the first quarter. In total, Genesis has originated $2.3 billion since launching the lending business last year.
The Genesis loan portfolio continued to be dominated by Bitcoin, with 62% of the overall composition. However, USD and “stable coin” borrowing increased 100% for the quarter, and now accounts for nearly a quarter (24%) of the active loan portfolio. There is strong demand, especially among international investors, to borrow USD and stable coin, which are frictionless, borderless asset-backed coins purportedly pegged to the dollar.
ETH loans accounted for 3.9% of the active loan portfolio, followed by LTC (3.7%) and XRP (2.5%).
Mobile App to Restrict Services For U.S. Users Due to Regulatory Issues (Crowdfund Insider), Rated: A
Abra, an all-in-one cryptocurrency wallet and exchange, announced on Thursday it is restricting services to U.S. users due to regulatory issues in the country.
The Reseller Program by HashCash Creates New Revenue Streams for its Partnership Network (Yahoo! Finance), Rated: A
The HashCash Reseller Program allows partners to generate revenues by bringing the leading products and services offered by HashCash to a wider customer base. The Reseller Program requires a company that endeavors to collaborate with HashCash to become a Channel Partner through which it can create connections and expand business.
Steemit Plans Series of Upgrades, Receives Harsh Criticism (Be in Crypto), Rated: A
In a recent post, the team behind the Steemit platform seem to be taking the user-onboarding process more seriously than ever before. The post details the root causes behind the platform’s initial rapid adoption and also address some of the potential issues that may be hindering its further growth.
According to the post, the developers are working on implementing a few crucial feature upgrades simultaneously. One is the addition of ‘Communities’ onto the platform. The other is a new type of token dubbed ‘Smart Media Tokens (SMT),’ which would be used by the new Steemit communities to provide an incentive to valuable community members.
Along with these two gradual upgrades, there are also talks of ‘Light Accounts.’ These accounts are essentially wallet addresses that would be handed out for free to new users and then, later on, be selectively upgraded.
The US is suing a cryptocurrency exchange owner to the tune of $ 100M (The Next Web), Rated: A
2. According to Gulfnews, the US is suing and seeking extradition of the Russian owner of a cryptocurrency exchange (BTC-e) for violating the Bank Secrecy Act, and is attempting to recover $100 million in penalties. The Russian was charged in 2017 for stealing Bitcoin from other cryptocurrency exchanges.
IRS Sends 10,000+ Letters of Warning to Crypto Holders (Finance Magnates), Rated: A
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS), the United States’ government’s tax organization, has issued a firm warning to cryptocurrency users–or rather, over10,000 firm warnings that were sent out in the form of letters sent out to cryptocurrency holders last week. Each letter contained a firm admonition: report your crypto on your tax form, or pay the price.
The Wall Street Journal reported that at least three variations of the letter were sent out in accordance with the information that the IRS has about each individual. One of the variations demanded that its recipient sign a statement declaring that they were in compliance with tax law under the penalty of perjury.
IRS insider reveals IRS crypto letter campaign method on Reddit (Cryptopolitan), Rated: A
The account has been created in the name IRS_Throwaway_BTC and the “IRS employee” claims that he has been working in the IRS for many years and has worked on similar letter campaigns to tax evaders in the past.
Digital currency gets OK for medical marijuana (Eastern Arizona Courier), Rated: A
Attorney General Mark Brnovich agreed to allow Alta to form what the company calls a “digital payment club,” with the eye specifically on marketing its service to the marijuana industry, which has no legal access to banks.
The Dark Side Of Public Blockchains: Unintended Use (Forbes), Rated: A
A community of developers are currently combating unintended file-sharing use of the XRP ledger.
On July 23, a tweet announced a beta release of software to upload files to the XRP ledger, allowing “users to upload files of ANY SIZE to the ripple blockchain and exist forever to be downloaded, indestructible and immutable”. The tweet was accompanied by a website detailing how to fund accounts on the XRP ledger using privacy browsers, VPNs and cryptocurrency swap services.
In the few days, the service has been active, more than 1100 files have been uploaded, totalling close to 100 MB of data, this in ~111,000 chunks, a total cost of 1,443,000 drops, 1.443 XRP or roughly USD 0.445.
However, the public nature also has a dark side, as we have seen before on, e.g. Bitcoin, where Mashable reported in March 2018 that child pornography had been uploaded to the public blockchain.
The World’s First Cross-Game Currency to Receive No Action Relief from the SEC is Quarters (Gamasutra), Rated: A
The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has issued its first no-action letter for a blockchain token made for the game industry. Quarters (Q), a cross-game, cross-platform premium game token, provides a player-friendly and industry-friendly alternative to in-game tokens traditionally locked to a single game.
Players can buy 400 Quarters for a dollar with their credit card or in the Apple App Store and Google Play. With Quarters, gamers can play participating titles on mobile, web, and PC. In addition, players can use Quarters to enter esports tournaments for the most popular games. Publishers and developers can collect Quarters and exchange them for Ether. Quarters have a fixed price, and like all premium game tokens, can never be exchanged or sold for financial value. Quarters are for entertainment purposes only.
Response of the Division of Corporation Finance (SEC.gov), Rated: B
Re: Pocketful of Quarters, Inc.
Incoming letter dated July 25, 2019
Based on the facts presented, the Division will not recommend enforcement action to the Commission if, in reliance on your opinion as counsel that the Quarters are not securities, PoQ offers and sells the Quarters without registration under Section 5 of the Securities Act and does not register Quarters as a class of equity securities under Section 12(g) of the Exchange Act. Capitalized terms have the same meanings as defined in your letter.
In reaching this position, we particularly note that:
- PoQ will not use any funds from Quarters sales to build the Quarters Platform, which has been fully developed and will be fully functional and operational immediately upon its launch and before any of the Quarters are sold;
- the Quarters will be immediately usable for their intended purpose (gaming) at the time they are sold;
- PoQ will implement technological and contractual provisions governing the Quarters and the Quarters Platform that restrict the transfer of Quarters to PoQ or to wallets on the Quarters Platform;
- gamers will only be able to transfer Quarters from their Quarters Hot Wallets for gameplay to addresses of Developers with Approved Accounts or to PoQ in connection with participation in e-sports tournaments;
- only Developers and Influencers with Approved Accounts will be capable of exchanging Quarters for ETH at pre-determined exchange rates by transferring their Quarters to the Quarters Smart Contract;
- to create an Approved Account, Developers and Influencers will be subject to KYC / AML checks at account initiation as well as on an ongoing basis;
- Quarters will be made continuously available to gamers in unlimited quantities at a fixed price;
- there will be a correlation between the purchase price of Quarters and the market price of accessing and interacting with Participating Games; and
- PoQ will market and sell Quarters to gamers solely for consumptive use as a means of accessing and interacting with Participating Games.
ILCoin is Redefining Blockchain Technology with a Different, More Calculated Approach (NewsBTC), Rated: A
ILCoin is one such platform that has been making some significant changes to the technology. Unlike most of the blockchains out there, the ILCoin’s Command Chain Protocol is already certified quantum-resistant by Palo Alto Networks Partner – a California based network and enterprise security company. According to the certification, the protocol is Quantum and 51% attack resistant on a sha256 POW based blockchain. This makes ILCoin futureproof as the concept of quantum computing becomes more prevalent.
WV Internet Voting Experiment Criticized (Public News Service), Rated: A
Last year the Secretary of State’s office allowed 141 West Virginians in 31 counties to vote, using what’s known as blockchain – the same distributed ledger system cryptocurrencies such as bitcoin use.
In an article for Slate magazine, tech reporter Yael Grauer criticized the contractor for being secretive.
Best Distributed-Ledger Technology Provider: AlphaPoint (Waters Technology), Rated: B
AlphaPoint repeats as the winner of the best distributed-ledger technology provider award for its asset digitization and exchange technology.
Winners and Losers (Coin Telegraph), Rated: AAA
At the end of the week, Bitcoin is at $9.527.45, Ether at $210.19 and XRP at $0.31. The total market cap is at $264,072,410,254.
The top three altcoin gainers of the week are Regalcoin, Dexter G and Xchange. The top three altcoin losers of the week are Bolenum, Claymore and SpectrumNetwork.
Bitcoin Mining Centralization Is ‘Quite Alarming’, But A Solution Is In The Works (Forbes), Rated: AAA
The Bitcoin mining process is what truly separates the peer-to-peer digital cash system from other forms of online payment. Instead of having a centralized third party who processes transactions, Bitcoin uses a number of dynamic, potentially-anonymous entities to move money around the network.
It is this removal of a trusted third party that allows Bitcoin to operate in a permissionless, uncontrollable, and censorship-resistant manner. All of Bitcoin’s differentiating use cases are built on top of this base feature.
Crypto Market And Bitcoin at Major Crossroads: BCH, BNB, EOS, TRX Analysis (NewsBTC), Rated: AAA
- The total crypto market cap is struggling to hold the key $250.0B support area.
- Bitcoin price spiked below the $9,300 level and recently corrected above $9,500.
- EOS price is facing a lot of hurdles near the $4.400 and $4.500 levels.
- Binance Coin (BNB) is trading with a bearish angle below the key $28.50 support level.
- BCH price is slowly moving higher towards the main $320 resistance level.
- Tron (TRX) price is currently holding the key $0.0220 support level.
Tokenizing Sports — How the Industry Is Incorporating Crypto (Coin Telegraph), Rated: AAA
As the world continues to move online, sports teams and organizations are beginning to embrace the use of cryptocurrencies and digital tokens to give fans access to exclusive content and items using these new technologies. This move toward crypto-acceptance has been happening for some time in the sporting space. As early as 2014, the NBA team Sacramento Kings began accepting Bitcoin (BTC) as a payment method for tickets and merchandise, in a move that was considered a first in the sports industry.
Football — or as it is called in United States, soccer — is by far the most popular sport on Earth. According to FIFA’s audit of audience data following the 2018 World Cup in Russia, over 3.5 billion people tuned in to watch the global showpiece.
From Belarus to Bahrain, the small states going big on cryptocurrency (Reuters), Rated: A
Belarus is among a handful of smaller countries coming up with specific rule books for digital currencies. Their efforts could help shape the development of the global market and the growth of industry players, from exchange platforms to brokers.
Conversely, lightly-regulated jurisdictions like the Seychelles and Belize allow far easier market access. But states with light rules can offer less protection for investors and have looser checks on money laundering, lawyers say.
The likes of Belarus and other newer entrants – including Bahrain, Malta and Gibraltar – are seeking to offer a third way: crafting specific rules for the cryptocurrency sector, betting they can attract companies by providing regulatory security as well as perks like tax breaks.
ZPX, a Singapore-based crypto firm, will launch a cryptocurrency trading platform, Qume, next month catering to institutional investors such as high-frequency proprietary trading firms and hedge funds.
Research Reveals That Unregulated Exchanges fake most of the Bitcoin Trading (CryptoNewsZ), Rated: A
A crypto-resource management firm, Bitwise, has studied 81 trades, concluding that 71 of them showed trends that reflected fake exchanging volume. The investigation provided details regarding 71 out of the 81 trades was wash exchanging, a term that depicts an individual at the same time selling and purchasing a similar stock, or Bitcoin, to make the presence of action in the market, which is not genuine.
The trades reported a collection of $6 billion in an average of daily Bitcoin volume. The research finds that just $273 million of that is legitimate.
Meet Vitalik Buterin’s Mom. Her Mission Is Inclusion, Not Ethereum (CoinDesk), Rated: A
Natalia Ameline, mother of ethereum creator Vitalik Buterin and co-founder of the educational nonprofit CryptoChicks, is trying to establish blockchain literacy programs around the world.
She told CoinDesk that CryptoChicks has run programs so far from Pakistan to Toronto with 608 students and young developers. CryptoChicks works with Blockgeeks, an educational startup spearheaded in part by Ameline’s ex-husband, Dmitry Buterin, on blockchain-agnostic curricula that cover everything from bitcoin to smart contracts to basic business principles.
Top 10 DeFi Platforms in 2019 (Bitcoin Market Journal), Rated: A
Sources: DeFiPulse, DeFiReview, project websites
The Most Significant Use Cases For Cryptocurrency (Coin Revolution), Rated: A
The emergence of bitcoin spawned a myriad of blockchain use cases extending far beyond the designation of cryptocurrency that was originally intended. It all started with a P2P system concept. Today, there are far more uses than we can imagine.
Opera and Ontology Partner For Growth Of DeFi And Blockchain Ecology (CryptoNewsZ), Rated: A
The blockchain company behind the 24th major digital currency of the world, Ontologyhas recently inked a joint venture with Opera browser. The association is intended for the growth of dApps and decentralized finance (DeFi).
Magnum Wallet Announces Partnership With Trezor Wallet For NEM Crypto Project (BTC Wires), Rated: B
A known Crypto wallet, Magnum has recently announced that it has completed integration with leading hardware wallet Trezor for the NEM crypto project. It said that XEM token holders will now be able to use the Trezor wallet with Magnum’s interface.
John McAfee arrested aboard a yacht in the Dominican Republic (Coin Telegraph), Rated: B
Crypto enthusiast John McAfee was arrested onboard his yacht in the Dominican Republic this week, with reports suggesting that authorities seized high-caliber weapons, ammunition and military equipment from the vessel. The millionaire later posted pictures as he left detention after four days of confinement. Hours later, he was detained again. McAfee shared a photo of himself lounging topless on a bare bunk bed, writing: “My second arrest in one week — a record I think.”
“Can a person run for, and be, President of the United States and Prime Minister of Great Britain simultaneously? Yes. Absolutely. Without question. But I believe I am one of the few people still alive who could qualify for the combined position.”
– John McAfee, jailbird and aspiring politician
Ethereum Price (ETH) Spiking Higher But Remains In Downtrend (NewsBTC), Rated: AAA
- ETH price declined steadily and recently revisited the $200 support level against the US Dollar.
- The price traded as low as $197 and spiked sharply above the $200 and $205 levels.
- There was a break above a short term ascending channel with resistance near $210 on the hourly chart of ETH/USD (data feed via Kraken).
- The pair might continue to recover, but it remains in a downtrend as long as below $225.
Seven reasons why Ethereum is no longer an altcoin (Yahoo! Finance), Rated: A
A new study, from the San Francisco Open Exchange (SFOX,) suggests that “it may no longer be accurate to classify ether as an ‘altcoin,’” because its correlation to bitcoin is significantly higher than bitcoin’s correlations to other coins. In the previous month, according to the study’s author, ether’s correlation to bitcoin was 0.788, whereas Bitcoin Cash scored 0.638, Litecoin, 0.577, Bitcoin SV was 0.619 and Ethereum Classic managed only 0.602. The team concluded that Ethereum is gradually becoming “a blockchain that is publicly recognized as an asset on its own terms, much like Bitcoin.”
Of the top 100 tokens by market cap, 94% are built on top of the platform.
Weiss Ratings: Binance Coin’s Success Is Attributed To Its Centralized Nature (Coin Revolution), Rated: AAA
According to a tweet by financial ratings agency Weiss Ratings, on July 25, 2019, Binance Coin’s (BNB) is a success due to its centralized nature. Currently, BNB is ranked the 6th largest digital currency by market capitalization and this year it has had a good run.
ARPA Latest Project to Be Listed on Binance’s Surging DEX (The Tradable), Rated: A
Bitcoin Suisse ‘Highest BTC Trade Ever’ Over 4,000 Metres Above Sea Level (CryptoGlobe), Rated: A
On July 17, an almost 70-person team led by Swiss cryptocurrency company Bitcoin Suisse conducted a BTC trade atop the Breithorn Mountain in the Pennine Alps on the border between Switzerland and Italy.
Having taken place at approximately 4,164 meters above sea level, the trade is believed to have ever been executed from a higher altitude.
Cryptocurrency Community Platform Glu Seeks £300,000 Through Seedrs Funding Round (Crowdfund Insider), Rated: AAA
Glu, a UK-based cryptocurrency community platform, has launched an equity crowdfunding campaign on Seedrs. The company is offering 3.61% through the funding round, at an £8,006,530 per-money valuation. Founded in 2018, Glu is the community for all the world’s cryptocurrencies and tokens.
Bank of China’s Infographic Shows the Reasons Behing BTC’s Price Increase (Coinspeaker), Rated: AAA
The infographic humorously shows the story of Bitcoin, starting with the publication of its whitepaper in 2008, the mining of the first 50 BTC in 2009, 10,000 BTC Florida resident Laszlo Hanyecz paid for pizza in 2010, and other big milestones ending with the announcement of Facebook’s Libra.
The infographic starts with the words:
“Bitcoin was once known as the “Myth of Riches”, and at the end of 2017 it was once the highest price of $20,000. So what is Bitcoin?”
Chinese alchohol wholesaler Oranco tests blockchain-based anti-counterfeiting solution (Tokenpost), Rated: A
In a press release, it was detailed that Oranco is now testing its “blockchain-based anti-counterfeiting laser recognition proprietary technology.” This particular project is the result of a collaboration between the company’s Fengyuang Huaxin Liquor Development Co., Ltd. and the Guangzhou Silicon Technology Co., Ltd. (GSTC).
AUSTRALIA WANTS TO LIMIT CASH PAYMENTS NOT CRYPTOCURRENCY (Bitcoinist), Rated: AAA
Australia’s Department of Treasury recently published a new set of preliminary guidelines that govern the size of cash-based currency payments. The draft legislation proposes that a “payment limit of $10,000 for payments made or accepted by businesses for goods and services”.
Interestingly, one will note that cryptocurrency is not listed as a form of payment in need of additional oversight or restrictions.
Understanding cryptocurrencies: What’s to like, and what’s to fear (The Indian Express), Rated: AAA
A virtual currency is a digital representation of value that can be digitally traded and functions as (a) a medium of exchange, and/ or (b) a unit of account, and/or (c) a store of value, but, unlike fiat currency like the rupee, it is not legal tender and does not have the backing of a government. A cryptocurrency is a subset of virtual currencies, and is decentralised, and protected by cryptography.
O3 Wallet enhances Coinbase Connect integration in version 3.0 (NEO News Today), Rated: A
O3 Labs, the Japan-based NEO development team responsible for the O3 Wallet, has released version 3.0 of its desktop wallet. The update includes enhanced Coinbase integration, offering secure management of users’ Coinbase accounts through the O3 Wallet. The “O3 Swap” service has also been updated to allow direct, one-button exchange of NEO-USDC, NEO-BTC, and NEO-ETH.
South Korea Introduces “Regulation-Free Blockchain Zone” (Cryptobriefing), Rated: AAA
The government of South Korea has given its approval for the city of Busan to be designated as a “regulation-free blockchain zone.” It comes after Busan was selected as the preferred bidder for the designation by the Korean Ministry of Startups and SMEs in April of this year.
Korea’s Biggest Credit Card Firm Wins Patent For Blockchain Credit System (Mondaq), Rated: A
Shinhan Card Co. has recently been granted a patentbased on the application of blockchain technology on the credit system. Titled as “Credit virtual money generation device and credit virtual money management device“, the invention is basically a money generation device comprising of three distinct units.
Blockchain copyright under the DCI certification (PR Newswire), Rated: A
The copyright certificate is not just a paper certificate. Its revolutionary change is popularized with the development of blockchain technology. The Internet has brought convenience to copyright protection, but it still has many uncertain factors. The tamper-resistance characteristics of blockchain have made the industry see new hopes, and copyright industry practitioners say:
“Fortunately, the ‘time stamping’ feature of the blockchain is naturally suitable for copyright protection.“
Singapore’s First Decentralized Global Lending Platform iBOFi.io Officially Launched and Supported by ZOS Blockchain (Yahoo! Finance), Rated: A
Bank Digital Asset L.P. (“iBankEx” ,”iBank Digital ” or the “Company”) announced that the iBOFi lending platform had launched connecting fiat currencies with digital asset and to yield interests continuously powered by the ZOS Blockchain (“ZOS”) . iBOFi has launched the issuance of cash loans in Canadian dollars and Stablecoin USDT to individuals utilizing Bitcoin and Ethereum as collateral. It is expected that in the near future additional currencies will be available soon.
Singapore blockchain firm Perlin acquires struggling Dispatch Labs (Tokenpost), Rated: B
Perlin, a blockchain firm based in Singapore with ties to the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), recently acquired Dispatch Labs, Cointelegraphreports. This development follows reports about the latter suffering from several major setbacks, including losses after a market slump.
Iranian Gov’t Authorizes Cryptocurrency Mining As Industrial Activity (Coin Telegraph), Rated: AAA
Kenya mulls over ICOs for citizens (IT Web Africa), Rated: AAA
A taskforce set up by Kenya’s government to look into emerging technologies has recommended the development of a digital asset framework to enable citizens to raise funds through blockchain-based crowdfunding mechanism, Initial Coin Offerings (ICOs).
$ 50,000: Ontario Securities Regulator Settles With ICO Promoter CoinLaunch (CryptoGlobe), Rated: AAA
The cryptocurrency consulting firm has agreed to pay more than CAD 50,000 (approximately $38,000) in penalties, profits, and legal fees as part of the agreement. The firm is also prohibited from acquiring or trading securities for five years.