- Today’s main news: Bitcoin price recovers above $8,200. Facebook opens to currency-pegged stablecoins. XRP is up 30% in September. Poloniex spins out from Circle. Huobi adds support for Tether. BTC used to find global child exploitation site. Binance earns $20K per day overcharging on transaction fees.
- Today’s main analysis: 4 indicators Bitcoin is going up.
- Today’s thought-provoking articles: The model that predicted Bitcoin’s drop predicts its rise. 4 reasons Bitcoin is going up. Don’t write Libra’s obituary yet. Ether price drop shakes DAI stablecoin peg. Ethereum could recover to $180.
- Bitcoin price recovers above $8,200. Bitcoin has been showing mostly bearish moves lately, but there seems to be a resurgence of bullish sentiments.
- This model predicted Bitcoin’s fall, and now it’s rise. Prediction models come and go, but what do you make of this one?
- 4 indicators that BTC is on the way up. Analysts have been pointing to Bitcoin’s bottom for six months. Are they right this time?
- Facebook Libra is open to currency-pegged stablecoins. Would skepticism and criticism of Facebook’s Libra soften is the project was based on fiat-pegged stablecoins?
- Jamie Dimon says Facebook Libra will never happen.
- XRP is up 30% in September. Ripple shows promise, but it still isn’t anywhere near where it could be.
- Poloniex to spin out from Circle. However, in the U.S., the crypto exchange is shutting its doors to investors in the U.S.
- Binance US adds FDIC insurance on USD deposits.
- Ethereum taught Dash how NOT to do DApps.
- New York court pospones Telegram’s TON hearing.
- 17% claim they got into debt buying Bitcoin.
- Millennials trust crypto, but that’s about it.
- Traditional law, finance can adapt to Bitcoin.
- Blockchain voting systems are vulnerable to attacks.
- McAfee sees a world where crypto won’t be traded for fiat.
- Huobi adds support for Tether.
- Authorities use BTC transactions to find child exploitation website.
- Don’t write Libra off yet.
- Ether price drop shakes DAI stablecoin peg.
- Bitcoin nears 50% drop.
- Earn more interest on crypto lending.
- 12 cryptocurrencies maintain market valuation over $1 billion.
- New Balance to use blockchain for authenticity tracking.
- Binance earns over $20,000 per day overcharging on transaction fees. Interesting.
- Bitcoin futures volume rose in 2019.
- Ethereum could recover to $180.
- Ethereum Name Service adds multicoin support.
- bitFlyer launches app.
- Malta school offers master’s degree in blockchain.
- TON Mainnet launch delayed by 6 months.
- Japan Cryptocurrency Business Association issues new guidance.
- Finance minister says other nations agree with India on crypto.
- Malaysia launches blockchain village.
- HyperBlocks to launch staking-as-a-service for Fantom Mainnet.
- United Kingdom: Nexo tokens now traded on Binance DEX.
- Caribbean: Chainlink sees 10% day-to-day gains.
- China: Students want cryptocurrency jobs.
- Latin America: Is decentralization the future of social media monetization?
- United Kingdom: No-deal Brexit huge positive for UK crypto.
- China: HTC reveals Exodus 1s crypto phone.
- United States
- Bitcoin (BTC) Price Recovers Above $ 8.2K But Approach Remains Cautious (NewsBTC), Rated: AAA
- Model That Predicted Bitcoin Price Drop to $ 8,000: Bears Are Done (NewsBTC), Rated: AAA
- Why Is Bitcoin Price Going Up? 4 Indicators Suggest a Potential Bottom (Coin Telegraph), Rated: AAA
- Facebook Open to Currency-Pegged Stablecoins for Libra (Bloomberg), Rated: AAA
- Jamie Dimon says Libra will never happen, and he wishes he could take JPMorgan private (CNN), Rated: A
- XRP Is Up 30% On September As Bitcoin Flatlines—Ripple Sees It Going Even Higher (Forbes), Rated: AAA
- CRYPTO EXCHANGE POLONIEX TO ‘SPIN OUT’ FROM CIRCLE (Bitcoinist), Rated: AAA
- Binance.US Adds FDIC Insurance on USD Deposits (CryptoGlobe), Rated: A
- What Ethereum Taught Us on How NOT to Do DApps (Dash News), Rated: A
- New York District Court Postpones Telegram’s TON Hearing to February 2020 (Crowdfund Insider), Rated: A
- 17% Claim They Got Into Debt by Buying Bitcoin in 2017 (CryptoPotato), Rated: A
- Millennials Trust Nothing, Except Maybe Crypto (Breakermag), Rated: A
- Traditional Law and Finance Can Adapt to Bitcoin, These Examples Show (Bitcoin.com), Rated: A
- Blockchain-based Voting Systems are Vulnerable to Attacks and May Provide Low-Quality Data (Crowdfund Insider), Rated: A
- McAfee Envisions DEX in a World Where Crypto Won’t Be Traded for Fiat (Bitcoin.com), Rated: B
- Huobi Adds Support for TRC20 Tether with offer (CoinGape), Rated: AAA
- Bitcoin Transactions Used to Find Operator of Global Child Exploitation Site (KTLA), Rated: AAA
- It’s Not Time to Write Libra’s Crypto Obituary Just Yet (CoinDesk), Rated: AAA
- Ether Price Drop Shakes DAI Stablecoin Peg, Two Collateral Contracts Closed (Coin Telegraph), Rated: AAA
- As Bitcoin price nears 50% drop, analyst foresees deeper correction for Ethereum (CryptoSlate), Rated: A
- Bitcoin.com acquires Japanese cryptocurrency startup O3 Labs (Silicon Angle), Rated: A
- Earn More Interest on Your Crypto With These Comparison Tools (Bitcoin.com), Rated: A
- Just 12 Cryptocurrencies Maintain a Market Valuation of Over $ 1bn (The Merkle), Rated: A
- Sneakers meet the blockchain in New Balance shoe authenticity pilot (Silicon Angle), Rated: A
- European Union
- Binance Earns More Than $ 20,000 per Day Overcharging on Transaction Fees (Be in Crypto), Rated: AAA
- Bitcoin futures volume rose significantly in 2019, as it raises leverage to 125x (CryptoSlate), Rated: A
- Ethereum (ETH) Could Recover To $ 180, Bitcoin Up 5% (NewsBTC), Rated: AAA
- Ethereum Name Service Adds Multicoin Support (Coin Telegraph), Rated: A
- bitFlyer Makes Cryptocurrency Trading Even Easier with Launch of bitFlyer App (BusinessWire), Rated: A
- You Can Now Get a Master’s in Blockchain From a School in (Where Else?) Malta (CoinDesk), Rated: A
- United Kingdom
- NEXO Tokens Now Trading on Binance DEX (Business Wire), Rated: AAA
- ‘No-Deal Brexit Huge Positive for UK Cryptocurrency’ – How Brexit Could Affect the Industry (Bitcoin.com), Rated: A
- Chinese Students Want Crypto Jobs, 8% Own Cryptocurrencies (Bitcoin.com), Rated: AAA
- HTC reveals €219 Exodus 1s cryptocurrency phone with… Android Oreo (Android Police), Rated: A
- Telegram’s TON Mainnet Launch Put Off by 6 Months (Asia Crypto Today), Rated: AAA
- Japan’s Cryptocurrency Business Association releases new guidance (Brave New Coin), Rated: A
- Sitharaman Says Other Nations Agree With India’s Stance On Cryptocurrency (Inc42), Rate: A
- Malaysia Officially Launches Blockchain Village, Medini (BVAM) (CryptoNewsZ), Rated: A
- HyperBlocks Plans to Launch Staking-as-a-Service for Fantom Mainnet (CryptoNewsZ), Rated: B
- Chainlink (LINK) beats the market with 10% of day-to-day gains (FXStreet), Rated: AAA
- Latin America
- Is decentralization the future of social media monetization? (CryptoSlate), Rated: AAA
Bitcoin (BTC) Price Recovers Above $ 8.2K But Approach Remains Cautious (NewsBTC), Rated: AAA
This past week, we saw mostly bearish moves in bitcoin below the $8,200 support area against the US Dollar. BTC price even settled below $8,000 and the 100 hourly simple moving average. However, the $7,800 area acted as a strong support. As a result, BTC started a decent recovery above the $8,000 resistance area and the 100 hourly SMA. Moreover, there was a break above a contracting triangle with resistance near $8,000 on the hourly chart.
Facebook Open to Currency-Pegged Stablecoins for Libra (Bloomberg), Rated: AAA
The head of Facebook Inc.’s Libra project said that it could use cryptocurrencies based on national currencies like the dollar, rather than the synthetic one it initially proposed, Reuters reported.
David Marcus, who oversees the Libra initiative for Facebook, told a banking seminar hosted by the Group of 30 in Washington that Facebook is open to looking at alternative approaches for the currency token it uses.
Jamie Dimon says Libra will never happen, and he wishes he could take JPMorgan private (CNN), Rated: A
Jamie Dimon doesn’t think Libra, Facebook’s embattled cryptocurrency project, will ever get off the ground.
XRP Is Up 30% On September As Bitcoin Flatlines—Ripple Sees It Going Even Higher (Forbes), Rated: AAA
Now, after falling steadily so far this year, XRP is on the up, adding some 30% to its price since the end of September–and blockchain payments network Ripple, which created the token and owns some 60% of it, is working to see the XRP price climb even higher.
Yesterday, Ripple revealed it sold $66 million worth of XRP in the third quarter of 2019–down 74% from sky-high sales of $251 million in the previous quarter.
CRYPTO EXCHANGE POLONIEX TO ‘SPIN OUT’ FROM CIRCLE (Bitcoinist), Rated: AAA
Poloniex, one of the earliest crypto trading platforms that targeted the US market will ‘spin-out’ from Circle. Despite the efforts to build a fully compliant market, Poloniex is shutting its doors for US-based traders from November.
Binance.US Adds FDIC Insurance on USD Deposits (CryptoGlobe), Rated: A
The North American division of leading cryptocurrency exchange Binance has announced Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) coverage for USD deposits.
What Ethereum Taught Us on How NOT to Do DApps (Dash News), Rated: A
Ethereum is known as the first great blockchain platform for decentralized applications (DApps), a pioneer for sure, but which suffered from some very high-profile scaling issues during its heyday, which it now seeks to remedy. As projects like Dash and the upcoming Dash Platform seek to replicate some of this functionality, we would do well to be careful not to repeat some of Ethereum’s past mistakes and hard-learned lessons. This is what we learned to NOT do when designing a DApp platform.
New York District Court Postpones Telegram’s TON Hearing to February 2020 (Crowdfund Insider), Rated: A
The US District Court for the Southern District of New York postponed the hearing regarding the Securities and Exchange Commission’s (SEC) injunction filing against London-based encrypted messaging service provider Telegram.
The hearing has been scheduled to take place on February 18–19, 2020.
17% Claim They Got Into Debt by Buying Bitcoin in 2017 (CryptoPotato), Rated: A
Although not many people like to admit that they have lost money, whether from buying Bitcoin or altcoins, a recent survey revealed some interesting numbers. They can provide a valuable lesson and a reminder to take extra caution when investing in cryptocurrency.
When asked “How much money did you lose in dollars by buying crypto?”, 54% of the 2,000 surveyed said they had lost less than $10,000. 10% reported losing between $10,000 and $50,000, 6% lost between $51,000 and $100,000, while 15% of the participants admitted to having lost more than $100,000.
The second question was perhaps even more interesting, as it sought to find out how many people had gone into debt from buying cryptocurrencies. Interestingly, 17% admitted to having done so.
Millennials Trust Nothing, Except Maybe Crypto (Breakermag), Rated: A
But, according to a new survey from investment platform eToro, millennials do trust cryptocurrency as an asset—at least, more than they do the stock market. The survey, commissioned by independent research firm Provoke Insights, asked 1,000 online investors in the U.S., ages 20 through 65, about stock exchanges, cryptocurrency exchanges, and 401(k)s. Forty-three percent of millennial respondents said they trusted cryptocurrency exchanges more than U.S. stock exchanges. Gen X, meanwhile, favored the establishment—77 percent of them would put their faith in stock exchanges over crypto trading hubs.
Bitmain fulfills commitment to Rockdale, Texas, with launch of cryptocurrency mining farm to construct 50MW facility (PR Newswire), Rated: A
Bitmain, the industry-leading fabless manufacturer of computing chips, has launched its 50MW mining farm in Rockdale, Texas, as announced today alongside the Rockdale Municipal Development District (MDD) and DMG.
Traditional Law and Finance Can Adapt to Bitcoin, These Examples Show (Bitcoin.com), Rated: A
These are common problems and they are pretty standard in private law, the legal expert remarks. But imposing the ordinary rules of private law is not an option in the case of cryptocurrencies. That’s because of the irreversibility of blockchain transactions, on the one hand, and the difficulties in establishing the governing law, on the other. Instead of advocating the easy way out by rejecting what doesn’t fit into existing presumptions, Professor Lehmann suggests a workaround.
Blockchain-based Voting Systems are Vulnerable to Attacks and May Provide Low-Quality Data (Crowdfund Insider), Rated: A
Nir Kshetri, a professor of management at the University of North Carolina, says that there are some major issues that must be addressed before blockchain-enabled voting can be carried out in a safe and trustworthy manner.
McAfee Envisions DEX in a World Where Crypto Won’t Be Traded for Fiat (Bitcoin.com), Rated: B
In a recent video posted to Twitter. John McAfee states: “Imagine a world…where fiat currency is diminishing in importance.” Instead of pointing to the adoption of crypto by big money interests, the rogue politician and radical bitcoin proponent talks of a complete flip, where users won’t need to exchange their cryptocurrencies for fiat. Crypto will have become the dominant money. McAfee cites his recently launched decentralized exchange (DEX), mcafeedex.com, and featured stablecoins as evidence this world is coming soon.
Huobi Adds Support for TRC20 Tether with offer (CoinGape), Rated: AAA
There’s never a quiet week in TRONland, from where TRON CEO Justin Sun oversees an ever-expanding digital network. When he’s not making announcements about making announcements, the TRON founder is toasting tangible new successes that are slowly cementing the network’s infiltration into every last recess of the cryptosphere. Huobi and Binance’s decision to support TRC20-USDT, aka TRON Tether, is the latest manifestation of this.
Bitcoin Transactions Used to Find Operator of Global Child Exploitation Site (KTLA), Rated: AAA
On Wednesday, the United States’ Department of Justice (DOJ) revealed how it had followed a trail of bitcoin transactions to find the suspected administrator of the site: A 23-year-old South Korean man named Jong Woo Son.
Binance Earns More Than $ 20,000 per Day Overcharging on Transaction Fees (Be in Crypto), Rated: AAA
The 0.0005 BTC withdrawal fee is currently around 33 times higher than the average fee required to ensure transactions are mined on the next block.
Bitcoin futures volume rose significantly in 2019, as it raises leverage to 125x (CryptoSlate), Rated: A
Speaking to CryptoSlate in an exclusive interview, Binance Futures Director Aaron Gong said that the Bitcoin futures volume in 2019 increased significantly, expressing confidence in the long term trend of the market.
Earlier this week, on Oct. 18, Binance Futures increased the maximum leverage of BTC/USDT (Tether) to 125x, offering a leverage that is higher than all existing platforms in the cryptocurrency market in the likes of BitMEX and Deribit.
bitFlyer Makes Cryptocurrency Trading Even Easier with Launch of bitFlyer App (BusinessWire), Rated: A
Today, leading cryptocurrency exchange bitFlyer has announced the launch of the bitFlyer app across Europe and the USA. The app, available for free on both iOS and Android, will allow users to buy and sell Bitcoin (BTC), Ethereum (ETH), Litecoin (LTC), Bitcoin Cash (BCH), Ethereum Classic (ETC), Monacoin (MONA) and Lisk (LSK).
You Can Now Get a Master’s in Blockchain From a School in (Where Else?) Malta (CoinDesk), Rated: A
The University of Malta’s Masters Blockchain and Distributed Ledger Technology began its inaugural semester this October, with around 35 students enrolled in the island nation’s only DLT-specific masters program – one of the few such programs around the world.
NEXO Tokens Now Trading on Binance DEX (Business Wire), Rated: AAA
Nexo is pleased to announce that it is further enhancing its collaboration with the world’s largest cryptocurrency exchange Binance. As a direct result, the trading of NEXO on Binance DEX starts today, October 18, 2019:
- The NEXO Token Holders can now enjoy all the benefits which have turned Binance into the industry’s favorite cryptocurrency exchange – liquidity, cutting-edge trading solutions, dedicated focus on security and decentralization.
- In line with the community-led approaches of Nexo and Binance, the Binance DEX listing brings a number of benefits for the crypto ecosystem. It establishes a direct connection between NEXO and BNB holders, providing them with an efficient exchange mechanism and giving additional utility to both assets.
- Thе history between Binance and Nexo dates back to July 2018 when Nexo became the first crypto lender to start accepting the BNB Token as collateral for Nexo’s Instant Crypto Credit Lines, a move hugely appreciated by Binance’s CEO CZ.
- Thousands of BNB holders consistently borrow against their tokens in the most tax-efficient manner, as more and more people understand Nexo’s unique proposition of accessing the value of their crypto holdings without having to sell any on them.
‘No-Deal Brexit Huge Positive for UK Cryptocurrency’ – How Brexit Could Affect the Industry (Bitcoin.com), Rated: A
In the event of no-deal being reached by Oct. 31, Thomas said, “there will be substantial uncertainty within British and EU financial institutions.” However, in terms of whether it will create demand for bitcoin and cryptocurrency in general, “I am not so certain,” he admitted, elaborating:
I would expect to see some upward movement on BTC/GBP markets shortly after the deadline, but since the British pound is a small portion of global crypto volume it may not have a large overall effect on price as some have predicted.
“It will, however, have a positive impact within the British market, but the degree of which this will affect the global cryptocurrency markets is speculative at this time,” he opined.
Chinese Students Want Crypto Jobs, 8% Own Cryptocurrencies (Bitcoin.com), Rated: AAA
Unlike authorities, however, the Chinese people have been embracing decentralized currencies with much less hesitation and for obvious reasons – not only the utility they bring but also their censorship resistance. The poll confirms that the young and tech savvy have predominantly positive expectations about the future of the crypto space and are the most eager adopters. Over 8% of Chinese students currently own some cryptocurrency, while another 9% had previously invested in digital assets.
It’s worth noting that almost 27% of the students in the survey indicated they would seek employment in the growing blockchain industry in the future. Media remains the main source of information about the crypto space and nearly 40% of the students describe media reports as influential.
HTC reveals €219 Exodus 1s cryptocurrency phone with… Android Oreo (Android Police), Rated: A
There hasn’t been much news from HTC about new phones this year, besides some budget models. The company did confirm earlier this year that it would develop a new version of its ‘Exodus’ blockchain phone, which was itself a slightly-modified U12+. That new device is finally real, and it’s… something.
|Display||5.7″ 720p 18:9 display|
|SoC||Qualcomm Snapdragon 435|
|Storage||64GB with microSD support|
|Battery||Nominal: 3075mAh; Rated: 3000mAh|
|Cameras||13MP main camera with PDAF, 13MP front camera with LED flash light|
|Software||Android 8.1 Oreo|
850/900/1900/2100 (B1/B2/B5/B8); HSDPA 42, HSUPA 5.76
FDD: Bands 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20, 28
TDD: Bands 38, 40, 41
Telegram’s TON Mainnet Launch Put Off by 6 Months (Asia Crypto Today), Rated: AAA
Telegram, one of the world’s largest instant messaging apps, and the creators behind the Telegram Open Network (TON), has written to GRAM investors who took part in the second round of the March 2018 ICO asking for a postponement of the TON’s mainnet launch.
Japan’s Cryptocurrency Business Association releases new guidance (Brave New Coin), Rated: A
The Japan Cryptocurrency Business Association (JCBA), an organization that fosters the responsible development of the crypto asset industry in Japan, has released new guidance on the regulation of crypto asset management.
The guidance seeks to encourage a crypto asset system that balances user protections with stable market development.
Chainlink (LINK) beats the market with 10% of day-to-day gains (FXStreet), Rated: AAA
The LINK price recovered from the recent low of $2.19 to trade at $2.53 by press time.
Chainlink (LINK), now the 15th largest coin with the current market value of $903 million has been outperforming other top altcoins recently. The coin has been growing since Sunday and gained over 10% of its value in recent 24 hours. At the time of writing, LINK/USD is changing hands at $2.53, off the recent high registered at $2.97 on October 9.
Is decentralization the future of social media monetization? (CryptoSlate), Rated: AAA
Two weeks ago, it was announced that IOV Labs, the parent company of smart contract platform RSK, has acquired Latin American social media network, Taringa. With 30 million users, Taringa is the fourth largest social media operator in the region. In the press release accompanying the announcement, IOV Labs alludes to its ambition to introduce a decentralized sharing economy to Taringa via the RSK platform.