- Today’s main news: Robinhood’s no-fee crypto trading now live in 5 states. UK government examines cryptocurrencies, blockchain. Spain considers blockchain-friendly regulations. How Ethereum money is vulnerable to hackers.
- Today’s main analysis: Why New York City needs a cryptocurrency.
- Today’s thought-provoking articles: Who’s leading in the cross-chain trading revolution. How to plan your estate around crypto assets. It’s time for the ICO community to grow up. Where blockchain laws are on the books and pending in U.S. states. The next oil boom will be blockchain-based.
- Robinhood’s no-fee crypto trading is live in 5 states. AT: “I’m sure we’ll hear of an expansion soon.”
- Cross-chain trading makes crypto attractive to Wall Street. AT: “Atomic swaps are inefficient, but these three companies want to make it more efficient by introducing smart contracts and other chain-to-chain technologies.”
- Samsa launches crypto index platform.
- How to plan your crypto assets before you die. AT:”An increasingly important problem to have. Here’s how to solve it.”
- Why New York needs a cryptocurrency. AT: “This justification could be used by any city, town, or village in the world. Someday, major cities everywhere could have their own cryptocurrency, and New York is as good a place as any to start the trend.”
- The ICO community needs to grow up.
- Which states have blockchain-for-records laws on the books, and which ones have pending legislation. AT: “More states are considering the blockchain for government records keeping. There are a ton of benefits to doing this.”
- Funding unpaid bitcoin coders.
- A course for teaching smart bitcoin investments.
- 5 cryptocurrencies poised to beat bitcoin.
- Litecoin Cash has forked, but is anyone trading it?
- How to mine Litecoin.
- Top crypto traders want a bitcoin futures shake-up.
- Why 2018 could be the best year yet for cryptocurrencies.
- The SEC’s advice on buying cryptos and tokens.
- Crypto regulation is the Treasury’s job.
- Do cryptocurrencies make for good spending money?
- Tokens that will survive the crypto bubble popping.
- Will the Overstock tZERO ICO ever end?
- Tezos can see the light at the end of the ICO launch.
- RadioYo launches $10M ICO for free online livestreamed radio shows.
- Blockchain Industries invests in Chimes’ ICO.
- Where financial markets and the blockchain intersect.
- The difference between secrecy and privacy on the blockchain.
- Decentralized manufacturing for job creation.
- Experts say the blockchain is creating prosperity.
- Fit Pay puts spin on bitcoin retail payments.
- Spain considers blockchain-friendly regulations.
- VESA ready for ICO pre-sale for cryto investing.
- The results of an ICO consultation in France.
- Millions of dollars in Ethereum are in jeopardy to hackers.
- TRON and the future cryptocurrency market.
- Top 5 ICOs to watch right now.
- The next oil boom will be based on the blockchain.
- How the blockchain can save mutual funds billions.
- Blockchain strengthens links in the supply chain.
- Sensor-as-a-Service on its way.
- South Korea: LATTICE80 adds former Senator as advisor.
- Singapore: Republic Protocol to give crypto investors a dark trading pool.
- Turkey: Lawmaker proposes national cryptocurrency.
- UAE: S&P Global Platts deploys blockchain for oil inventories.
- Canada: Etherparty secures top blockchain startups for new crypto-crowdfund platform.
- Centralized cryptoruble: Minister tells Putin ‘No way’.
- United States
- Robinhood’s Zero-Fee Bitcoin, Ethereum Trading Is Live In Five US States (CoinTelegraph), Rated: AAA
- Samsa launches cryptocurrency indexes (The Daily Telescope), Rated: A
- Cross-Chain Trading Looks To Make Crypto More Attractive To Wall Street, Here’s Who’s Leading The Charge (Benzinga), Rated: AAA
- Your bitcoin may be lost for good if you die without a plan for it (CNBC), Rated: AAA
- Jimmy Song’s New Mission: Fund Unpaid Bitcoin Coders (CoinDesk), Rated: A
- Learn how to make smart investments in Bitcoin for less than $5 per course (Popular Science), Rated: B
- These Cryptocurrencies May Beat Bitcoin in the Coming Months (Fortune), Rated: B
- Litecoin Cash Has Forked But It’s Hardly Trading (CoinDesk), Rated: A
- How To Start Mining Litecoin In 2018 (Use the Bitcoin), Rated: A
- Why New York City Needs Its Own Cryptocurrency (Nautilus), Rated: AAA
- The top cryptocurrency traders are asking for a big shake-up to bitcoin futures (Business Insider), Rated: A
- Five reasons 2018 could be the best year yet for cryptocurrencies (CNBC), Rated: A
- Thinking about buying a cryptocurrency or token? The SEC has some advice (MarketWatch), Rated: A
- Cryptocurrency regulation is a job for Treasury (American Banker), Rated: A
- Cash, credit, or bitcoin: Do cryptocurrencies make good ‘spending money’? (AEI), Rated: A
- When the cryptocurrency bubble pops, these tokens are built to survive (MIT Technology Review), Rated: A
- The ICO immaturity problem (TechCrunch), Rated: AAA
- Overstock And tZERO: Will The ICO Ever End? (Seeking Alpha), Rated: A
- Tezos Finally Plans to Launch ICO Coin After Ousting Swiss Foundation Head (Fortune), Rated: A
- RadioYo Launches $ 10M Initial Coin Offering (ICO) on March 1 (Benzinga), Rated: A
- Blockchain Industries Invests in Chimes’ Pioneering Bifurcated ICO with Forthcoming SEC Registration (GlobeNewswire), Rated: B
- Markets 2018, the Intersection of Financial Markets and Blockchain Technology (PR Newswire), Rated: A
- Differentiating Between Privacy and Secrecy on the Blockchain (NASDAQ), Rated: A
- Creating Jobs With Decentralized Manufacturing (NASDAQ), Rated: A
- More States Eye Blockchain for Records, Businesses (Big Law Business), Rated: AAA
- BLOCKCHAIN IS CREATING PROSPERITY, EXPERTS SAY (Medill Reports), Rated: A
- Fit Pay intros unique spin on bitcoin retail payments (Mobile Payments Today), Rated: B
- United Kingdom
- Blockchain and bitcoin in the spotlight as government launches digital currencies inquiry (ZDNet), Rated: AAA
- European Union
- Government of Spain Considers Blockchain-Friendly Regulations (Bitcoin Magazine), Rated: AAA
- VESA Ready For ICO Pre-Sale – Ushers In Next Generation of Cryptocurrency Investing (Digital Journal), Rated: A
- Autorité Des Marchés Financiers in France Receives 82 Responses on Initial Coin Offering Consultation (Crowdfund Insider), Rated: A
- Millions of Dollars In Ethereum Are Vulnerable to Hackers Right Now (Motherboard), Rated: AAA
- TRON: A Prospect for the Future Cryptocurrency Market (Global Coin Report), Rated: A
- THE 5 TOP ICO PROJECTS TO KEEP AN EYE IN FEBRUARY-MARCH 2018 (Bitcoinist), Rated: A
- Why The Next Oil Boom Will Be Fueled By Blockchain (Seeking Alpha), Rated: AAA
- Mutual Funds Could Save Billions With Blockchain (CoinDesk), Rated: A
- Blockchain is strengthening links in the supply chain (Raconteur), Rated: A
- IoT: Sensor-as-a-service, run by blockchain, is coming (Network World), Rated: A
- In Advance of Initial Coin Offering, LATTICE80 Adds Former South Korea Senator as Advisor (Crowdfund Insider), Rated: AAA
- Republic Protocol to Give Crypto Investors Dark Trading Pool (cryptovest), Rated: A
- Turkish Lawmaker Proposes National Cryptocurrency (CoinDesk), Rated: AAA
- S&P Global Platts Deploys Blockchain To Track U.A.E Oil Inventories (Forbes), Rated: A
- Etherparty Secures Top Blockchain Startups to Launch ICOs via New Crypto-Crowdfund Platform (PR Newswire), Rated: A
- Centralized Cryptoruble Not Possible, Minister Tells Putin (Bitcoin), Rated: A
Robinhood’s Zero-Fee Bitcoin, Ethereum Trading Is Live In Five US States (CoinTelegraph), Rated: AAA
The Robinhood mobile trading app launched zero-fee Bitcoin (BTC) and Ethereum (ETH) trading for the first batch of the users of its Robinhood Crypto platform on Thursday, Feb. 22, as announced on the company’s blog.
The first users to get access to the commission-free platform are customers residing in the US states California, Massachusetts, Missouri, Montana, and New Hampshire.
Samsa launches cryptocurrency indexes (The Daily Telescope), Rated: A
Samsa (www.samsa.ai) aims to bring indexes to the world of cryptocurrency. Today, Samsa has launched a cryptocurrency index platform that enables users to create custom portfolios from a basket of indexes. This strategy will transform crypto investment from single asset purchases (Bitcoin, Ethereum, etc.) to index investments (Protocol Tokens, Privacy Coins, Top 20 Coins, etc.) The goal is to transform the current crypto investing markets into a more mature industry, similar to the stock market.
Cross-Chain Trading Looks To Make Crypto More Attractive To Wall Street, Here’s Who’s Leading The Charge (Benzinga), Rated: AAA
Cross-chain trading, also called Atomic Swaps, is simply peer-to-peer exchange of cryptocurrencies without the instrumentality of a “centralized” exchange.
With cross-chain trading, cryptocurrency traders and investors can create smart contracts in which the cross-chain trading process is trustless, because both parties to the trade must satisfy predefined requirements for the trade to be marked as complete.
Fujuitsu, a Japanese IT firm has announced its “ConnectionChain” project, which is simply a payments solution that poised to facilitate transactions between blockchains. The ConnectionChain project is designed to be an advancement over smart contract technology to connect multiple blockchains such that chain-to-chain transactions can pass through a transaction control technology to synchronize the execution of transaction processes across multiple chains.
FUSION is a blockchain solution designed to help cryptocurrency traders and investors make cross-chain transactions for increased scalability on blockchain. FUSION also goes the extra length to facilitate off-chain transactions as the world gradually moves towards the Internet of Values.
Another interesting blockchain solution, Wanchain wants to unlock cross-chain transactions to advance the penetration of blockchain technology and decentralized philosophy to Wall Street. WanChain believes that the current structure of crypto exchanges are at odds with each other. Rather than fruitlessly mash them together, Wanchain wants to serve as an intermediary currency between cryptocurrency and other exchanges.
Your bitcoin may be lost for good if you die without a plan for it (CNBC), Rated: AAA
If you haven’t planned for how to pass on your bitcoin or your online investment account, those assets could get lost when you die.
As more and more people live their lives online, so do their assets. That goes for everything from digital currency and investment accounts to social media and photo storage.
If you don’t leave the private key, a number that enables the cryptocurrency to be spent, that will create a problem for your estate, she said.
Poskanzer said his clients start by thinking they have five or 10 digital accounts and ultimately realize they have more than 80. That includes everything from investment accounts, utilities and telecommunications to emails, social media and real estate properties.
The experience of seeing his best friend’s image on Facebook after he died motivated Jeff Perkins to found TrustedHeir, which provides software to help estate planners plan for digital assets.
- Maintain an up-to-date list of your online accounts
- Decide who will handle those accounts
- Pay attention to the details
- Rules will vary by site
- Consider a password manager
Jimmy Song’s New Mission: Fund Unpaid Bitcoin Coders (CoinDesk), Rated: A
Jimmy Song, known for his easy-to-understand technical analysis of cryptocurrency, is in the process of designing a laboratory to train and pay crypto developers under his new auspices as a partner at Blockchain Capital. Informally dubbed Platypus Labs, the project will support developers with a combination of residencies and fellowships, with an initial focus on coders building on Bitcoin Core, the most used version of the bitcoin software.
Learn how to make smart investments in Bitcoin for less than per course (Popular Science), Rated: B
These Cryptocurrencies May Beat Bitcoin in the Coming Months (Fortune), Rated: B
Here are the scheduled forks and airdrops Lee highlighted:
- ZClassic/Bitcoin fork of Bitcoin Private expected Feb. 28
- Monero fork of MoneroV expected March 14
- Ethereum Classic airdrop of Callisto expected March 5
- Neo airdrop of Ontology expected March 1
- EOS airdrop of Everipedia IQ Tokens
Litecoin Cash Has Forked But It’s Hardly Trading (CoinDesk), Rated: A
Currently trading at just $5 on a little over $1 million in volume, litecoin cash (LCC) is valued at just 2 percent of the price of the official litecoin project, the world’s fifth-largest cryptocurrency and one of the few to see nearly $1 billion in volume Thursday.
However, despite this built-in audience, no major exchange has yet announced support for LCC.
How To Start Mining Litecoin In 2018 (Use the Bitcoin), Rated: A
Cryptocurrency mining, in general, include two functions; to add transactions to the blockchain, and also to release new currencies, and each block added by miners contain a PoW (proof-of-work).
Litecoin uses some fundamentally different algorithm for processing, called the Scrypt. Initially, it was easy for people with personal computers to mine, technological advancements brought about special mining machines called ASICs (Application-Specific Integrated Circuit) that now process Scrypt coins like Litecoin, this makes it difficult to mine without a substantial investment. Setting up a miner for yourself will take some hours and joining a mining pool will give you instant returns on investments.
To start mining for yourself, you need to purchase or build a mining rig.
The ANTMINER L3+ is world’s most powerful Litecoin miner by Bitmain, a company that produces the fastest ASIC miners. With the L3+ Scrypt miner, Bitmain has created miners not just for Bitcoin but also for Litecoin mining. The Antminer L3+ is an upgrade of the L3 with twice its hash power.
Though you earn less for each block completed, you have a much better chance of a steady income joining a mining pool.
Why New York City Needs Its Own Cryptocurrency (Nautilus), Rated: AAA
The first non-precious metal coins emerged as a natural consequence of trade, and were seldom accepted as currency outside the city-state on the Grecian coast that minted them. Then nation-states emerged and central banking was invented as an institution.
All resilient things start local. To find inherent value and stability digital currencies need to ground themselves somewhere. They need to go local.
Consider New York, one of the richest cities in the world, with an economy larger than Mexico’s. Despite its wealth, it has attracted much negative recent attention for having a drastically underfunded public transport system. Something like $100 billion is needed to fix the New York subway, and nobody knows where that money is going to come from. Almost every city has a laundry list of essential projects that are in dire need of cash. Launching a digital currency for a city could effectively crowdfund these projects.
The top cryptocurrency traders are asking for a big shake-up to bitcoin futures (Business Insider), Rated: A
Some of the biggest players in the cryptocurrency market are calling for a shake-up in bitcoin futures trading.
Bitcoin futures started trading on Cboe Global Markets and CME in December and have been steadily growing since, with volumes for both markets at just under 10,000 contracts traded Wednesday, according to data from Bloomberg. At least 30 firms trade on Cboe, according to briefing documents from the exchange.
Five reasons 2018 could be the best year yet for cryptocurrencies (CNBC), Rated: A
1. The work on scaling issues
The token’s market dominance stood at about 40 percent as of Wednesday. By my estimates, however, it’s clear bitcoin’s market dominance should return to 75 percent of the entire space.
I actually see a 150 percent potential upside in bitcoin for 2018.
Created by Blockstream, the Lightning Network allows for transactions off the blockchain, thereby decreasing the transaction costs almost to zero and increasing the speed and scalability almost infinitely. And it’s just getting started. As you can see from this map, more and more nodes as well as channels are being established. It is growing exponentially.
Lightning Network will have a big impact on the potential upside.
2. Large scale and more legitimate ICOs
That means we could see a rise in the market cap of ethereum to $200 billion by the end of the year from less than $90 billion on Wednesday. The cryptocurrency’s price could possibly double to $2,000.
4. A lot of execution and usability
Most start-ups bomb, but the spectacular successes of companies such as Facebook and Airbnb help mask those failures. Likewise, the success stories of a few entities in the cryptocurrency space will overshadow the negative news of several going bankrupt
5. Institutional investors
It is estimated that $10 billion to $12 billion has so far flown into the crypto ecosystem, but that’s nothing compared to what institutional funds could invest. Since those first funds propped up the market to around $500 billion, the next $10 billion to $12 billion, which is peanuts for some funds, could double the market cap this year.
Thinking about buying a cryptocurrency or token? The SEC has some advice (MarketWatch), Rated: A
Perhaps the most important thing to know is the cryptocurrency-related investment markets are very different than our regulated securities markets. For example, our securities laws provide important protections that you may not be getting when dealing in cryptocurrency-related investments. In many cases you may not know exactly who you are dealing with, where your money is going or what you are getting in return. For more detailed information, you can check out SEC Chairman Jay Clayton’s statement on cryptocurrencies and initial coin offerings (ICOs) and the Office of Investor Education and Advocacy’s investor bulletin on ICOs.
Cryptocurrency regulation is a job for Treasury (American Banker), Rated: A
It is important to note that, as of today, the SEC does not have direct authority over cryptocurrencies or ICOs. When blockchain is used for currency — or in the case of other emerging applications for the technology — I would argue that the Department of the Treasury, given its clear and historical role in the area of the U.S. currency, has primary regulatory responsibility over this new marketplace. For a number of reasons, this should remain the operational structure used, with Treasury as the lead regulator.
Do people use cryptocurrency to pay for small daily purchases, such as a burger and fries, or a subway fare? The preferred means of payment likely hinges on cost and convenience.
Cryptocurrency becomes a competitive payment mechanism when transaction sizes are large and transactions span national borders. In this market, cryptocurrencies not only compete with banks but also with money transfer and remittance agents.
Bitcoin has a number of blockchain transactions that have exceeded the equivalent of $100 million, and transactions that are equivalent in value to many millions of US dollars occur regularly on the blockchain.
When the cryptocurrency bubble pops, these tokens are built to survive (MIT Technology Review), Rated: A
All crypto-tokens are built on a blockchain or other shared cryptographic ledger, but not all are created equal. Switzerland, a hotbed for initial coin offerings, accounted for this in a set of landmark regulatory guidelines that divide tokens into three categories.
Bitcoin and other currencies primarily designed to be payment methods go in the first bucket, known as payment tokens. In the second are blockchain-based versions of traditional securities, like stocks and bonds—those are called asset tokens. Utility tokens are those “intended to provide digital access to an application or service.”
The ICO immaturity problem (TechCrunch), Rated: AAA
With the rise of the unregulated ICO we are entering a new sort of startup era. This is an era populated by the growth marketers that got bad mobile apps to the top of app stores and who used spam and sex to get attention. This is also an era where the money on the table is untrammeled. An ICO can seemingly raise $850 million in a few seconds although smart people know that these sums are mostly smoke and mirrors. However, even if you capture a few million out of a multimillion dollar token raise that’s enough for a lambo, an off-shore bank account, and a life of relative ease.
The SEC is currently attacking even the most stringent of ICOs and we can expect to see much more regulatory activity in the future. But that is not stopping bad actors from acting bad. For every successful ICO there are hundreds of frustrated founders who can’t afford the legal or editorial fees to get a white paper started and hundreds more scammers trying to eke a little Ether out of the unsuspecting investor.
Overstock And tZERO: Will The ICO Ever End? (Seeking Alpha), Rated: A
The original ICO was launched on December 18, 2017 and was originally set to end two months later, on February 16, 2018. That is definitely on the longer side of ICO selling periods, which range from a couple weeks to around two months. But two months was apparently not sufficient time for tZERO to complete its ICO. The ICO period has now been extended through March 30, 2018.
- Overstock originally planned to offer a 100% bonus on the first $10 million purchased in the ICO, a 50% bonus on the next $40 million and a 25% bonus on the following $50 million. It is unclear whether this is still the plan or if other mechanisms will be required to generate demand.
- Overstock may intend to invest $30 million into the ICO itself. This is based off reports in a Coinbase article from January, but this is not indicative of strong demand.
- Finally, tZERO reports on an amended Form D filing on February 8, 2018 that $49.1 million of the ICO had been sold. It is unclear whether the $49.1 million includes $30 million purchased by Overstock itself.
Tezos Finally Plans to Launch ICO Coin After Ousting Swiss Foundation Head (Fortune), Rated: A
More than seven months after the Tezos ICO raised $232 million last July—making it the largest such initial coin offering at the time—the blockchain startup, whose progress had been delayed by infighting, is finally set to launch the Tezos coins.
RadioYo Launches $ 10M Initial Coin Offering (ICO) on March 1 (Benzinga), Rated: A
RadioYo, a platform for people to livestream free online radio shows and broadcast prerecorded podcast episodes, announced today the company’s crowdsale opens on March 1st at 6:00 am EST (11:00 AM UTC).
RadioYo’s goal is $10,000,000.
Participants must complete the registration process prior to the crowdsale by visiting https://rao.radioyo.fm and clicking on the “Register Now” button. An Ethereum wallet that supports the ERC-20 token standard is also a requirement.
Blockchain Industries Invests in Chimes’ Pioneering Bifurcated ICO with Forthcoming SEC Registration (GlobeNewswire), Rated: B
Digital entertainment company, Chimes Media, today announced the completion of a private investment in the form of token purchases from Blockchain Industries, Inc. (BCII), an investor in second generation initial coin offerings (ICOs). Blockchain Industries’ investment will help Chimes develop the first-ever comprehensive, decentralized and incentive-based music dataset for fans, musicians and industry professionals.
Markets 2018, the Intersection of Financial Markets and Blockchain Technology (PR Newswire), Rated: A
BTC Media announced today the return of Distributed: Markets on April 23, 2018, the premier blockchain conference designed to unite financial markets executives and cryptocurrency insiders.
Taking place at the iconic Navy Pier in Chicago, Distributed: Markets will be co-hosted by the Chicago Blockchain Center. The one-day conference agenda, to be released in early March, is designed to capture the interest of both legacy institutions as well as those intrigued by the evolving relationship between cryptocurrency and money. Content will be divided across two tracks: one dedicated to exploring distributed ledger technology within traditional financial service organizations, and the other focused on understanding the frontier of cryptocurrencies, from investment strategies to regulation.
Speakers will share wide-ranging perspectives on financial enterprise, and they include Eric Piscini, principal at Deloitte; Rumi Morales, former head of CME Ventures; Mike Brown, Director of Innovation at ATB Financial; and Laurence Cooke, CEO of nanoPay. These institutional thought leaders will be joined by CDC Founder Perianne Boring, Zen Protocol CEO Adam Perlow, and Haimera Workie from FINRA. Additional speaker confirmations, including keynote announcements, will be released in the coming weeks.
Differentiating Between Privacy and Secrecy on the Blockchain (NASDAQ), Rated: A
Put simply, secrecy means withholding information, even from people who have a legitimate right to access it because it affects them.
In contrast, privacy refers to the ability of an individual to control the sharing of information that they rightfully own.
If the digital advertising industry prioritized privacy over secrecy, it would not collect personal data about users without their consent. It would instead let them know how, when and in which forms their data is collected, and give them the option to opt out.
Secrecy, Privacy and the Blockchain
Yet the important nuance to keep in mind is that the fact that blockchain transactions are public does not mean that the data they record has to be public, too. It’s entirely possible to encrypt data on the blockchain, making it accessible only to people who have the encryption keys, even if the data is stored in a transparent, distributed fashion.
In this way, the blockchain can be used to remove secrecy, because anyone can verify transactions and ensure that data exists.
Creating Jobs With Decentralized Manufacturing (NASDAQ), Rated: A
Silicon Valley-based SyncFab is on a mission to foster smart reshoring: bringing manufacturing jobs back to the U.S. through decentralized, digitally inspired “smart” manufacturing empowered with blockchain technology.
More States Eye Blockchain for Records, Businesses (Big Law Business), Rated: AAA
Eight states have enacted laws to, among other things, order studies of the technology for government use, legalize blockchain-based electronic signatures, and permit corporations to track stocks on the digital ledger, Bloomberg Law data show.
Blockchain-related legislation is also pending in 13 states, according to the data.
One New York lawmaker has introduced five blockchain-related bills in the last six months in the state General Assembly. Three of the bills would create separate task forces to study the potential impacts of: blockchain use for state record keeping; widespread use of digital currencies in the state’s financial markets; and the creation of a state-issued cryptocurrency.
The bill would also direct the Colorado Department of State to consider using blockchain for business licensing records.
A Vermont bill, introduced Jan. 3 by State Sen. Alison Clarkson (D), proposes rules for blockchain-based limited liability companies, which the bill defines as LLCs organized for the purpose of using blockchain for a material portion of their business activities.
Laws on the Books
Delaware enacted a law in July 2017 that allows corporations to use blockchain to maintain corporate records, including stock transaction records.
Illinois also began studying blockchain in 2016, resulting in a report last month that recommended potential applications in government operations. The technology could be used to maintain a Medicaid recipient roster, determine food stamps eligibility, and create digital marketplaces for snow removal, recycling, and other services, the report, produced by a state-created task force, said.
BLOCKCHAIN IS CREATING PROSPERITY, EXPERTS SAY (Medill Reports), Rated: A
The digital ledger platform blockchain is enabling a shift towards a safer, easier and more prosperous ecosystem by decentralizing assets and making peer-to-peer networks to govern all transactions, said blockchain experts, all Chinese, in a recent forum at Fordham University.
Fit Pay intros unique spin on bitcoin retail payments (Mobile Payments Today), Rated: B
Fit Pay Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of NXT-ID Inc., is now accepting preorders for Flip, a new contactless payment device that enables cryptocurrency holders to use the value of their currency to make purchases at millions of retail locations, according to a press release.
Blockchain and bitcoin in the spotlight as government launches digital currencies inquiry (ZDNet), Rated: AAA
The potential benefits and risks of cryptocurrency and blockchain technology are to be examined by MPs in the UK’s House of Commons.
Government of Spain Considers Blockchain-Friendly Regulations (Bitcoin Magazine), Rated: AAA
The government of Spain is preparing blockchain-friendly legislation including possible tax breaks to attract companies in the emerging blockchain technology sector, Bloomberg Politics reports.
VESA Ready For ICO Pre-Sale – Ushers In Next Generation of Cryptocurrency Investing (Digital Journal), Rated: A
Imagine if there were a method that could guide people into the crypto investing arena while reducing risk of loss and increasing the success rate.
It will be the only such platform on the planet that tracks successful traders on multi-exchanges so that VESA users can make the same exact trades, but with less risk than the actual traders were exposed to when they made their own transactions.
Here are a few of the features and benefits:
- Transparency & Security: VESA does not store the funds of its users. Purchaser can stop copying at any time. Traders are rated based on their trade statistics over the years.
- Simplicity & Versatility: VESA works with any of the cryptocurrency exchanges. Users use familiar interfaces. A great choice for beginner investors.
- Functionality and Visibility: Purchasers and traders can gain clear financial statistics. In use, easy to create investment portfolios. The service is now available on all known platforms.
Autorité Des Marchés Financiers in France Receives 82 Responses on Initial Coin Offering Consultation (Crowdfund Insider), Rated: A
The Autorité Des Marchés Financiers (AMF) in France has just published the results of a consultation regarding initial coin offerings (ICOs).
Respondents unanimously believe that an offering document is necessary to inform buyers of tokens and that it should include at least information on:
- The project related to the ICO and its evolution;
- Rights conferred by tokens ;
- The accounting treatment of the funds raised during the ICO.
The AMF presented three possible options for regulation:
- Promote a guide to best practices at constant law ( option 1 );
- Extend the scope of existing rules to apprehend ICOs as offers of financial securities to the public ( option 2 );
- Propose new legislation adapted to ICO ( option 3 ).
Millions of Dollars In Ethereum Are Vulnerable to Hackers Right Now (Motherboard), Rated: AAA
Even more, the researchers say they’ve discovered an additional 34,200 vulnerable smart contracts. A sample of roughly 3,000 vulnerable contracts that the team verified could be exploited to steal roughly $6 million worth of ether, Ethereum’s in-house cryptocurrency, they said.
After analyzing nearly one million smart contracts, the researchers found 34,200 that were critically vulnerable, including the contract that DevOps199 destroyed. On a subset of roughly 3,000 contracts, the team was able to verify and reproduce the flagged vulnerabilities with an 89 percent success rate.
TRON: A Prospect for the Future Cryptocurrency Market (Global Coin Report), Rated: A
Despite the unbridled craze for Bitcoin nowadays, a considerable number of altcoins are making their way in the world of digital currency as well. Apart from the more familiar altcoin names like Ethereum, Monero, Ripple, Dash, etc, a lot of ICOs (Initial Coin Offerings) had been converted into legitimate cryptocurrencies in the previous year of 2017. TRON, a decentralized blockchain-based protocol, is one of the most widely used and effective cryptocurrencies among those recently converted cryptocurrencies.
TRX, the official cryptocurrency of TRON, aims to curtail the unmitigated control of a certain number of organizations like Google, Amazon, etc over the internet by handing the ownership of the data pool to the user.
The concerning stages are:
- Exodus: TRON is currently in this phase.
- Odyssey: This stage of TRON is likely to follow the standard paradigm of a proof of stake cryptocurrency.
- Great Voyage: This phase would deal with a significant number of issues like dividend management, income payment, and the management of the devoted supporters.
- Apollo: TRON would be able to launch their personalized token that can be successfully used for decentralized trading. This phase is likely to end by 2023.
- Star Trek: This phase is quite similar to the technology used by a renowned gaming platform Augur.
- Eternity: The last phase of TRON would provide the opportunity to the developers to create their own games and take part in the fundraising events.
THE 5 TOP ICO PROJECTS TO KEEP AN EYE IN FEBRUARY-MARCH 2018 (Bitcoinist), Rated: A
The Capacity project had set its sights on developing tools to revolutionize AR/VR and 3D technologies, this project has already introduced a professional 3D digitizing solution.
The Canada-based RightMesh company has created a new technology platform and protocol for connecting users in a wireless mesh network, creating new connectivity options and improved outcomes to billions of unconnected users around the world—all while providing a pathway to a new Internet for all.
Most of the investors in crypto have to deal with multiple exchanges and have to find out which one is providing the most affordable rate. Here the Arbidex steps in with its unique trading platform, which allows the client to monitor the cryptocurrency prices from different exchanges.
The CoinMetro project team enters the crypto market with an extensive wealth of knowledge and expertise. It is known, that the founders created FXPIG back in 2010 and have built it into one of the biggest Forex brokers of today. The Coinmetro exchange is being built for the novice investor, it’s simplistic functionality to make trading as simple as purchasing an item online.
Rentberry has been listed among TOP-10 ICO in 2018 by Forbes.
Rentberry offers its users a fully operational long-term rental platform; it leverages blockchain technology to ensure seamless rental experience and allows crowdsourcing to help tenants unfreeze nearly up to 500 million of dollars tied up in rental security deposits now.
Why The Next Oil Boom Will Be Fueled By Blockchain (Seeking Alpha), Rated: AAA
It’s official: Blockchain technology has infiltrated Big Oil.
According to a report from the World Economic Forum from 2017, a digital transformation has already swept across the energy industry.
Majors like BP and Shell are making headlines with plans to utilize blockchain tech to completely transform how energy is bought and sold.
Smaller players with big ambitions like Canada’s Petroteq are preparing to revolutionize the day to day operations of potentially every oil operation on the planet.
BP began experimenting with blockchain technology in 2017.
And in November, BP joined a blockchain consortium with fellow industry heavyweights Shell and Statoil, in addition to commodity trading houses – Gunvor, Koch Supply & Trading, and Mercuria, with the financial backing of Dutch ABN Amro, ING, and French Societe Generale.
Petroteq (OTC: PQEFF; TSX-V: PQE), a company that made waves in the sector with its revolutionary patented oil sands tech, has set out on a mission to completely overhaul the industry’s inefficient and error prone supply chain management protocols.
Oil and gas companies using tech to change the industry:
British Petroleum (NYSE:BP) is a multi-national oil and gas supermajor, and the sixth largest energy company on the planet.
Royal Dutch Shell (NYSE:RDS.A) is household name. As one of the largest energy companies on the planet, Shell knows the industry through and through. Shell also has its eyes on the blockchain industry.
Pembina Pipeline Corp. (TSE:PPL) (NYSE:PBA): The North American pipeline industry has had a tough year, but the recent approval of the Keystone XL pipeline route and the growing need for transportation capacity should act as a boon for the sector.
TransCanada (TSX:TRP) (NYSE:TRP): is a major oil and energy company based in Calgary, Canada. The company owns and operates energy infrastructure throughout North America. TransCanada is one of the continent’s largest providers of gas storage, and owns and has interests in approximately 11,800 megawatts of power generations.
Mutual Funds Could Save Billions With Blockchain (CoinDesk), Rated: A
A new report argues that switching to a distributed, blockchain-based infrastructure could bring significant financial benefits to the asset management industry.
The release from Calastone, a transaction network for the mutual funds industry, predicts that such a move could slash costs for the global mutual funds market by over $2.5 billion a year.
Blockchain is strengthening links in the supply chain (Raconteur), Rated: A
Global shipper Maersk says it will launch an industry-wide trading platform powered by IBM blockchain. The company’s bosses hope it could “form a utility that brings standards across the entire ecosystem”.
Maersk wants to digitise the entire supply chain, tracking online and in real time tens of millions of shipping containers globally from end to end, a process that normally involves up to 30 people and more than 200 different communications.
IoT: Sensor-as-a-service, run by blockchain, is coming (Network World), Rated: A
Telecommunications equipment maker Nokia has launched a turnkey, sensor-as-a-service offering for Internet of Things (IoT) networks.
The idea behind the product is to provide a way for mobile network operators (MNOs), many of which use Nokia cell site equipment, to monetize existing infrastructure, such as towers, by selling live environmental sensor data to cities and others.
In Advance of Initial Coin Offering, LATTICE80 Adds Former South Korea Senator as Advisor (Crowdfund Insider), Rated: AAA
Singapore based Fintech Hub LATTICE80 has enlisted Sang Min Kim to the company’s Board of Advisors. Kim was previously a Senator in South Korea and interestingly a committee member of the National Policy Committee overseeing regulatory bodies.
Republic Protocol to Give Crypto Investors Dark Trading Pool (cryptovest), Rated: A
Singapore-based Republic Protocol raised $33.8 million during its initial coin offering (ICO), which ended on February 3 and saw some of the largest crypto-oriented hedge funds invest in Republic’s dark pool project. It will allow elite players to trade big volumes of Bitcoin or Ethereum without influencing market trends, according to CEO Taiyang Zhang.
The Singaporean company expects dark pools to account for about $9 billion of monthly crypto trading volumes. Once the protocol goes live in the third quarter of this year, we might feel the difference and see an increase in the crypto trading activity, Zhang hopes.
Turkish Lawmaker Proposes National Cryptocurrency (CoinDesk), Rated: AAA
According to a report by Al-Monitor, Ahmet Kenan Tanrikulu, the deputy chair of Turkey’s Nationalist Movement Party and the country’s former Industry Minister, has drafted a report to propose a state-backed cryptocurrency dubbed “Turkcoin.”
S&P Global Platts Deploys Blockchain To Track U.A.E Oil Inventories (Forbes), Rated: A
Global energy and commodities market information aggregator S&P Global Platts has announced the deployment of its proprietary blockchain solution that will facilitate submissions of weekly oil storage data by market participants in the United Arab Emirates port of Fujairah.
Etherparty Secures Top Blockchain Startups to Launch ICOs via New Crypto-Crowdfund Platform (PR Newswire), Rated: A
Etherparty Smart Contracts Inc. is excited to announce it has formally enlisted its first group of startups for its soon-to-launch crowdsale creator.
Blockchain startups working with the Vanbex Group have formally signed on to use the Etherparty platform in order to launch their token and crowdfund projects, as early as this spring, when Etherparty’s flagship product hits the market.
Centralized Cryptoruble Not Possible, Minister Tells Putin (Bitcoin), Rated: A
Responding to Vladimir Putin’s request to study possibilities to emit а so-called “cryptoruble”, Minister Siluanov has tried to educate Russia’s head of state on the nature of cryptocurrencies. In a letter dated January 29, 2018, he says Minfin would not object to a private project to create a Russian cryptocurrency under the supervision of financial authorities, but only if the government did not invest in it.