- Today’s main news: Coinbase lists Dash for retail customers. Bakkt launches Bitcoin Futures today. Litecoin SegWite usages hits all-time high of 75%. Ripple files for lawsuit dismissal. Coinbase, Kraken, Upbit, Poloniex rated cleanest exchanges. China to replace cash with two-tiered digital currency.
- Today’s main analysis: In-protocol contract author fee rebates.
- Today’s thought-provoking articles: What Google quantum breakthrough means for blockchain cryptography. Do crypto payment restrictions undermine blockchain’s core values? Ethereum begins ranging, is $263 a reasonable target? Chainlink CEO on data oracles (video).
- Coinbase now supports Dash. This came just a week after Coinbase Pro announced Dash for institutional investors.
- Bakkt finally launches Bitcoin futures. A long-awaited event.
- Litecoin SegWit usages hits all-time high. This is significant since Bitcion hit an all-time high for SegWit usage of 49 percent in August 2019. Granted, SegWit has only been active for two years, but this is a huge difference in the adoption rate despite Bitcoin’s overall usage lead.
- Ripple asks court to dismiss lawsuit. XRP investors are suing the company, but Ripple did not address the question as to whether XRP should be considered a security, or not.
- What Google’s quantum breakthrough means for blockchain cryptography. We’re still a long way off from being anywhere close to quantum computing. A breakthrough is significant for research purposes. It means nothing for adoption.
- Coinbase future offerings could include Telegram. And 16 other cryptocurrencies.
- Chicago Mercantile Exchange to add Bitcoin trading options.
- NYSE owner launches Bitcoin futures.
- Fake Bitcoin investment platform promises 4,000$ ROI.
- What Fed repo injections mean for Bitcoin.
- InnfiRAT poses major malware threat to Bitcoin, crypto wallets.
- 10 reasons to invest in Ripple.
- 5 enterprise blockchain stories.
- Facebook acquires Servicefriend.
- Ownera partners with Amazon.
- Florida CFO to speak to Blockchain Task Force.
- SEC sues ICOBox on securities violation.
- Congress, SEC to discuss crypto, ICOs tomorrow.
- Coinbase, Kraken, Upbit, Poloniex remain cleanest exchanges. Based on a Blockchain Transparency Institute report.
- Do crypto payment restrictions undermine blockchain’s core values?
- Bitfinex, DigiByte, Binance brouhaha.
- THORChain, BitMax.io to launch DeFi app on Binance.
- Blockchain technology market to surpass $16 billion by 2024.
- The people making money from airdrops.
- 10 blockchain tech solutions for business.
- Angelium, PlusToken match.
- HSBC’s Diane Reyes on DLT.
- Olympus to debut in 2020 with fiat to crypto feature.
- Ethereum begins to range, $263 target possible. It could be a while before ETH hits $263, although a rally is looking promising.
- Developer incentivization: In-protocol contract author fee rebates. Highly technical, but a good read.
- IOTA unveils decentralized and autonomous industry marketplace.
- Coinbase challenger Change launches equity-like token.
- Chainlink CEO talks about data oracles. A must-watch video.
- Mindtree launches blockchain merchant on-boarding for banks.
- CJ Corp to use Amazon blockchain to manage copyright information.
- Cryptocurrencies not considered a financial asset.
- Is government plan to ban crypto warranted?
- Oil and gas giant pilots blockchain platform from Modex.
- Monacoin, Japan’s crypto meme.
- 7-11 in Philippine will top off your crypto wallet.
- Edge Tokens now easier to earn with self-onboarding.
- Canada: BitHarp intros new crypto mining technology.
- China aims to replace cash with two-tiered digital currency.
- Dubai: R3 partners with Wethaq on Shariah-compliant digital market.
- Micronesia: The Marshall Islands’ national crypto is fascinating.
- China: Ping An blockchain unit could IPO in November.
- United States
- Dash Now Supported on Coinbase’s Crypto Platform (Crowdfund Insider), Rated: AAA
- Coinbase Future Offerings Could Include Telegram Among Other Digital Assets (CryptoNewsZ), Rated: A
- Bakkt Is Finally Launching Its Bitcoin Futures Today. Here’s What to Expect (CoinDesk), Rated: AAA
- CME to add options trading for Bitcoin and expand Bitcoin futures (Decrypt), Rated: A
- NYSE Owner Launches Long-Awaited Bitcoin Futures (WSJ), Rated: A
- Fake Bitcoin Investment Platform From ‘Elon Musk’ Promises 4,000% ROI (Coin Telegraph), Rated: A
- What Billions in Fed Repo Injections Reveal About the Promise of Bitcoin (CoinDesk), Rated: A
- Latest Malware: InnfiRAT a Major Threat to Bitcoin and Crypto Wallets (Altcoin Buzz), Rated: A
- Litecoin: SegWit Usage Hits New All-Time High of 75% (Crypto Globe), Rated: AAA
- Ripple ask court to throw out lawsuit filed against the company by XRP investors (FXStreet), Rated: AAA
- 10 Reasons why you should invest in Ripple (Cryptoticker), Rated: A
- 5 Enterprise Blockchain Stories of the Week (Forbes), Rated: A
- Facebook Acquires Messaging Bot Developer Servicefriend, Prepares for Libra and Calibra Wallet Launch (Crowdfund Insider), Rated: A
- Ownera Partners with Amazon on Hackathon to Launch the Revolutionary Ownera Digital Securities API (Business Wire), Rated: A
- What Google’s Quantum Breakthrough Means for Blockchain Cryptography (Bitcoin.com), Rated: AAA
- Jimmy Patronis to address Blockchain Task Force (Florida Politics), Rated: A
- The SEC Sues ICO Platform ICOBox for Violating Federal Securities Laws (All Stocks), Rated: A
- Congress and the SEC to discuss cryptocurrencies and ICOs on Tuesday (Yahoo! Finance), Rated: B
- Coinbase, Kraken and Upbit and Poloniex remain the cleanest exchanges (FXStreet), Rated: AAA
- Do Crypto Payment Restrictions Undermine Blockchain’s Core Values? (Coin Telegraph), Rated: AAA
- Bitfinex CTO Shades Binance as DigiByte Founder Sets the Record Straight (U.today), Rated: A
- THORChain & BitMax.io to Launch decentralized Finance on Binance Chain This Year (Coingape), Rated: A
- Blockchain Tech Market Revenue to Surpass $ 16 Billion By 2024, Asia Pacific Market To Record 87% CAGR (Crowdfund Insider), Rated: A
- Meet the people who make a living from airdrops (Decrypt), Rated: A
- 10 blockchain technology solutions for business in 2019 (Jaxenter), Rated: A
- Angelium (ANL) and PlusToken a Match Made in Hell? (Asia Crypto Today), Rated: A
- Most Powerful Women in Banking: No. 4, HSBC’s Diane Reyes (American Banker), Rated: A
- Olympus to debut in 2020 with fiat to crypto feature that’s been long awaited (Cryptopolitan), Rated: B
- European Union
- Ethereum Begins Ranging as Crypto Markets Drop, but $ 263 Target Remains (NewsBTC), Rated: AAA
- Developer incentivization: in-protocol contract author fee rebates (ETHResear.ch), Rated: AAA
- IOTA Unveils Decentralized and Autonomous Industry marketplace (BTC Manager), Rated: A
- Coinbase Challenger in Europe Change Launches Its Own Equity-Like Token (Coin Telegraph), Rated: A
- China Aims to Replace Cash with Two-Tiered Digital Currency, Says New Binance Report (Toshi Times), Rated: AAA
- Chinese insurance giant Ping An’s blockchain unit eyes US IPO in mid-November (The Block), Rated: A
- Chainlink CEO Talks Data Oracles (CoinDesk), Rated: AAA
- Mindtree launches blockchain merchant on-boarding for banks (Enterprise Times), Rated: A
- South Korea’s CJ Corp to use Amazon blockchain to manage copyright information (Yahoo! Finance), Rated: A
- Cryptocurrencies not considered financial asset (Korea Times), Rated: A
- Is government’s plan to ban cryptocurrency warranted? (Vantage Asia), Rated: A
- Oil and Gas Giant Pilots New Blockchain Platform From Modex (Coin Telegraph), Rated: A
- Meet Monacoin, Japan’s cryptocurrency meme (Brave New Coin), Rated: A
- You can now top up your crypto wallet from all 7-Elevens in the Philippines (Gooruf), Rated: A
- ‘Edge’ Tokens Now Easier to Earn with Self-Onboarding (Fintech Finance), Rated: B
- R3 partners with Wethaq to Offer a Shariah-Compliant Digital Market (TUNF), Rated: A
- The Marshall Islands’ national cryptocurrency is fascinating in so many ways (Yahoo! Finance), Rated: AAA
- BitHarp Introduces New Technology in Cryptocurrency Mining (PR Newswire), Rated: AAA
Dash Now Supported on Coinbase’s Crypto Platform (Crowdfund Insider), Rated: AAA
Coinbase announced last week it is now supporting Dash (DASH) through its cryptocurrency exchange platform. This news comes just days after Dash announced its availability on Coinbase Pro. Coinbase reported that its customers may now buy, sell, convert, send, receive, or store DASH. The currency will be available for customers in all Coinbase-supported regions, with the exception of New York and the UK. Additional jurisdictions may be added at a later date.
Coinbase Future Offerings Could Include Telegram Among Other Digital Assets (CryptoNewsZ), Rated: A
The Coinbase revealed this in a communication wherein the cryptocurrency platform expressed its intention to include Telegram along with other 16 digital assets in its future offerings. Some of the other contenders that might find a place on the platform include Avalanche, Coda, NEAR, Orchid, and Spacemesh, among others. Coinbase said that the platform is actively looking to explore new opportunities to enhance convenience and customer value.
Bakkt Is Finally Launching Its Bitcoin Futures Today. Here’s What to Expect (CoinDesk), Rated: AAA
After two delays and 13 months of questions, the Intercontinental Exchange-backed bitcoin warehouse and futures contract facilitator is launching Monday, opening the door for institutional investors to take positions on the cryptocurrency in a federally regulated venue.
Trading is set to open at midnight UTC and close at 22:00. For the first time, interested observers will be able to see just how much pent-up demand there is among big-money traders for this hotly anticipated service.
CME to add options trading for Bitcoin and expand Bitcoin futures (Decrypt), Rated: A
The Chicago Mercantile Exchange (CME), the world’s largest options and futures exchange, announced today that its thriving bitcoin futures contracts will include options as early as 2020, according to a press release. The new offering is “pending regulatory review.”
NYSE Owner Launches Long-Awaited Bitcoin Futures (WSJ), Rated: A
The owner of the New York Stock Exchange launched its long-delayed market for bitcoin futures Sunday, a high-profile bet that consumers, businesses and Wall Street will embrace cryptocurrencies.
Trading in the new bitcoin futures began just after 8 p.m. EDT, with the first trade at $10,115.00, in line with the current price of bitcoin, said a spokesman for the exchange’s parent company, Intercontinental Exchange Inc. Futures let traders bet on whether an underlying market such as oil, gold, stocks or currencies will rise or…
Fake Bitcoin Investment Platform From ‘Elon Musk’ Promises 4,000% ROI (Coin Telegraph), Rated: A
According to the dedicated website used to lure would-be clients, the so-called “Bitcoin Profit” uses celebrity endorsements as part of its marketing strategy.
The site, economicsworld[dot]info, includes testimony from the likes of actress Kate Winslet and Australian businessman Andrew Forrest, also known as Twiggy.
What Billions in Fed Repo Injections Reveal About the Promise of Bitcoin (CoinDesk), Rated: A
Last week, the Federal Reserve injected $278 billion into the securities repurchase, or “repo,” market over four days, all so that banks could meet their liquidity needs. It was the first time the Fed had intervened in this vital interbank market, where banks’ pawn financial assets to fund overnight cash needs, since the financial crisis of 2008.
Predictably, certain crypto types have viewed this alarming scenario with glee. More than a few HODLing tweeters responded to the repo story with two words of advice: “buy bitcoin.”
Latest Malware: InnfiRAT a Major Threat to Bitcoin and Crypto Wallets (Altcoin Buzz), Rated: A
A malware dubbed InnfiRAT and written in.NET has been found by ThreatLabZ’s researchers. It can steal browser cookies that expose sensitive data such as usernames and passwords.
Litecoin: SegWit Usage Hits New All-Time High of 75% (Crypto Globe), Rated: AAA
According to a report by Litecoin.com, SegWit usage on litecoin’s network peaked at 75% on Sept. 19, just over two years after the protocol was first activated. SegWit adoption has been somewhat lackluster for litecoin, averaging around 50% of network usage throughout the majority of 2019. The last peak in segwit transactions occurred in November 2018, constituting just over two-thirds of network usage.
Ripple ask court to throw out lawsuit filed against the company by XRP investors (FXStreet), Rated: AAA
In the mammoth 37-page document, Ripple have avoided the key question: is XRP a security or not?
“Under Plaintiff’s own allegations, defendants offered XRP to the public throught 2013 through 2015. Accordingly, the three-year statute of repose expired as of 2016 (three years after the sales cited in May 2015 settlement) and in no case later than May 2018 (three years after the May 2015 settlement agreement in which ‘Defendants acknowledged that they sold XRP to the general public,’ Complaint ¶ 25). The Securities Act claims in the Complaint, filed August 5, 2019, are therefore untimely and barred by the statute of repose.”
10 Reasons why you should invest in Ripple (Cryptoticker), Rated: A
Ripple is one of the first (if not the first) cryptocurrencies to be widely accepted by major financial institutions and banks and hence has an upper leg in widespread industry adoption. It capitalizes on this synergy between fiat and cryptocurrencies that no other major cryptocurrency has successfully achieved, and has been adopted by over 100 banks including major global players like BBVA, Axis Bak, MUFG, SEB, etc.
Funding growth is the lifeline to the growth of any company and Ripple has raked in over $55 million of VC (Venture Capital) funding in a single funding round including investments from tech giants Google and Apple to further their cause of making money transfers and payments as efficient as possible.
Ripple can process transactions usually with an average time of 4 seconds at the rate of 1,500 transactions per second (Ethereum can perform up to 15 transactions per second while Bitcoin can perform 7 transactions per second) as it uses a 3rd generation blockchain consensus algorithm whilst in comparison, the traditional international banking transfer system (SWIFT) takes around 2 to 3 business days to confirm a transaction’s validity.
5 Enterprise Blockchain Stories of the Week (Forbes), Rated: A
JPMorgan’s IIN, built on Quorum (a private version of Ethereum) was launched with the goal of eliminating information inefficiencies, thereby providing a real-time flow of information. As of now, 344 banks have signed Letter of Intent (LOIs), creating what is probably the largest blockchain-based banking consortia. Last week, Deutsche Bank, the 17th largest in the world and the fourth largest in Europe by total assets, joined the network to tap into the information pool.
Banco Santander, the largest Spanish bank, has issued a $20 million blockchain-based bond with a quarterly coupon of 1.98%.
ConsenSys, the largest Ethereum-focused development shop, just launched a new “mesh” that focuses on bringing Decentralized Finance (DeFi) to larger companies and businesses.
Now Wells Fargo has joined the ranks of blockchain-enabled institutions. The company is aiming to settle internal transactions much faster and more cheaply than it would if it went with the SWIFT network.
Facebook Acquires Messaging Bot Developer Servicefriend, Prepares for Libra and Calibra Wallet Launch (Crowdfund Insider), Rated: A
Facebook has acquired Servicefriend, a Tel Aviv-based company that provides artificial intelligence (AI)-enabled customer service bots for messaging.
The acquisition has been made as the social media giant prepares to launch its stablecoin project Libra next year.
Responding to a request from Fabio De Masi, the finance spokesman of the Left Party faction of the German Bundestag, who asked which currencies will be used to back Libra, Facebook said its stablecoin will be made up of 50% USD, 18% euro, 14% Japanese yen, 11% British pound, and 7% Singapore dollar.
Ownera Partners with Amazon on Hackathon to Launch the Revolutionary Ownera Digital Securities API (Business Wire), Rated: A
Ownera, the institutional-grade blockchain network for digital securities (AKA Security Tokens), has announced it will be releasing its Digital Securities API utilizing the Amazon Managed Blockchain service running HyperLedger Fabric. Ownera is a network where all nodes will be regulated financial entities (such as banks, asset managers and exchanges), who underwrite and distribute the assets on the network.
The Ownera API to be released is so simple and powerful, that the Hackathon will challenge digital securities platform developers to fully adapt their applications to support Ownera within the 3 days of The Global Hackathon, between October 13-15 at the CIS conference (as part of the Los Angeles blockchain week).
What Google’s Quantum Breakthrough Means for Blockchain Cryptography (Bitcoin.com), Rated: AAA
On Friday, the FT published a story claiming that a paper published by Google researchers described a major computing breakthrough. Using a quantum computer, the team managed to perform a calculation in just over three minutes that would take the world’s most powerful supercomputer 10,000 years. In an industry that’s characterized by incremental improvements, that sounds like a leap that warrants comparisons with the Big Bang. Quantum supremacy, which the researchers claim to have attained, refers to the moment when a quantum computer outperforms the world’s best classical computer in a specific test.
All signatures and hashes within QAN’s protocol that might be susceptible to quantum algorithms (typically Shor or Grover algorithm searches) are protected by post-quantum cryptography. Just as it sounds, this is a school of cryptography dedicated to protecting networks in a world of quantum supercomputers.
Jimmy Patronis to address Blockchain Task Force (Florida Politics), Rated: A
Chief Financial Officer Jimmy Patronis will speak Monday with the Florida Blockchain Task Force about the changing currency world.
Blockchain, a method of recording transactions of cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin, has been a priority for the Cabinet member. He has pushed for better ways to prevent fraud and follow transactions with nontraditional currencies.
The Task Force meets at 1 p.m. Monday in the Senate Office Building in Tallahassee.
The SEC Sues ICO Platform ICOBox for Violating Federal Securities Laws (All Stocks), Rated: A
According to a press release on September 18, the U.S. SEC has taken legal actions against a blockchain and crypto company called ICOBox and its founder Nikolay Evdokimov for illegally distributing $14 million worth of the company’s digital token and operating as an unregistered broker for other digital asset offerings.
Congress and the SEC to discuss cryptocurrencies and ICOs on Tuesday (Yahoo! Finance), Rated: B
Congress and the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) will meet on Tuesday to discuss the current state of regulation surrounding cryptocurrencies, and the status of ICOs.
Coinbase, Kraken and Upbit and Poloniex remain the cleanest exchanges (FXStreet), Rated: AAA
The latest Blockchain Transparency Institute (BTI) show that exchanges that have maintained clean trading volumes include, Coinbase, Upbit, Kraken, and Poloniex.
The exchanges with the highest rates of wash trading are OKEx and Bibox among the top 40 exchanges in the industry.
Do Crypto Payment Restrictions Undermine Blockchain’s Core Values? (Coin Telegraph), Rated: AAA
The power of cryptocurrency payment service providers is under the spotlight after a $100,000 donation to an Amazon rainforest charity was blocked last month. American cryptocurrency payment service provider BitPay reportedly blocked a Bitcoin payment from charity organization Amazon Watch because it had failed the internal processes of the payment platform.
It is understood that the charity’s pay limit was set below $100,000 before BitPay advised its staff to change it. The process then came to a halt, as the limit could not be changed automatically without separate documentation.
Bitfinex CTO Shades Binance as DigiByte Founder Sets the Record Straight (U.today), Rated: A
Jared Tate, the founder of decentralized exchange DigiByte, has put yet another log on the fire by recently releasing a tell-all video message about his struggle with centralized exchanges.
Bitfinex CTO Paolo Ardoino has stepped into the fray by commenting that DGB has been available on their exchange for a long time. Moreover, they never asked for any listing fees.
Tate claimed that Binance asked DigiByte a whopping $300,000 for DBG to end up on the exchange. To put this into perspective, this is three percent of the token’s total supply.
THORChain & BitMax.io to Launch decentralized Finance on Binance Chain This Year (Coingape), Rated: A
THORChain is partnering with BitMax.io (BTMX.io) to list its native asset, RUNE, and launch a novel method to stake BEP2 assets in order to solve a key problem with decentralized finance applications.
Blockchain Tech Market Revenue to Surpass $ 16 Billion By 2024, Asia Pacific Market To Record 87% CAGR (Crowdfund Insider), Rated: A
Blockchain market growth will also be accelerated due to the increasing industry penetration of crypto assets, the report stated. It pointed out that Bitcoin (BTC) and other digital assets experienced a sizeable 300% increase in market capitalization during the historic crypto market bull run of 2017 and early 2018.
The infrastructure provider segment of the blockchain ecosystem accounted for 65% of the industry’s revenue share in 2017.
The blockchain-based digital identity application sector is projected to record a growth rate of more than 90% CAGR by 2024.
Blockchain-powered healthcare applications will experience more than 85% CAGR by 2024.
The Asia Pacific blockchain market is expected to record a CAGR of over 87% by 2024.
Meet the people who make a living from airdrops (Decrypt), Rated: A
In blockchain, instead of paying workers with real money, it’s common practice for startups to offer ‘airdrops’, or ‘bounties’ in the project’s native token to people looking to make a few dollars for being fans of the project. By hiring out an army of commenters, memers, retweeters and vloggers to promote the network, startups create buzz and a community that hopefully, will increase their chances of success. When Sharesome, an adults-only social network airdropped over 1 billion Flame Tokens (XFL) in December 2018, over 150,000 signed up for the airdrops, and 23,000 joined the Telegram group, within 48 hours.
If a native token soars in value, a few retweets and comments a week could lead to a cashout in the thousands of dollars; a considerable sum for bounty hunters, many of whom live in developing countries, where a day’s wage can be less than $5.
10 blockchain technology solutions for business in 2019 (Jaxenter), Rated: A
- Copyright preservation by creating a digital certificate of authenticity.
- Buying goods in various parts of the planets without involving cash.
- Data management in financial markets. In particular, the blockchain can be used to preserve and optimize business processes, as well as increase the level of protection.
- Ensuring security when conducting transactions with precious stones by creating a registry of transactions and their verification.
- Management of energy production. The decentralized platform allows you to adjust the control and management of various energy sectors based on the programmed information. At the same time, the system is reliably protected from hacking.
- Electronic voting. Here, the blockchain technology is used to conduct elections and quick counting of votes with the ability to verify the correctness of the results.
- The development of computer and gambling games in which people from different countries can participate.
- The scope of labor. The technology of a distributed registry is useful for storing and verifying information relating to the length of service of people, the availability of education, awards, and other information. Such a system is especially useful for job placement companies.
- Charity. Using the blockchain application, it is easy to transfer property rights and money while respecting confidentiality and at a high level of security.
- In addition, the blockchain is useful in medicine, industry, Internet space, the financial sector, and other sectors.
Angelium (ANL) and PlusToken a Match Made in Hell? (Asia Crypto Today), Rated: A
Angelium, the so-called “blockchain based cross reality” platform could be taking a big risk working with PlusToken, who have been reported to be operating a Ponzi scheme scam ripping off customers to the tune of nearly $3 billion.
So far, reports allege that PlusToken has defrauded investors out of $2.9 billion, pulling off a reported exit scam after convincing investors to put their money into its crypto wallet app.
Most Powerful Women in Banking: No. 4, HSBC’s Diane Reyes (American Banker), Rated: A
Last year, Reyes led HSBC’s involvement in research into how digital currencies and distributed ledger technology could transform cross-border payments. One of her conclusions was that buy-in from central banks around the globe is critical.
Olympus to debut in 2020 with fiat to crypto feature that’s been long awaited (Cryptopolitan), Rated: B
Zap solutions have worked out a way to make bank transactions for cryptocurrency an easy errand to run with their new app. The app runs on the Lightning Network and solely relies on this part of the Bitcoin blockchain to work up transactions regarding fiat and crypto.
Ethereum Begins Ranging as Crypto Markets Drop, but $ 263 Target Remains (NewsBTC), Rated: AAA
At the time of writing, Ethereum is trading up slightly at its current price of $218, which marks a slight jump from its 24-hour lows of $215, but also marks a notable retrace from its daily highs of over $220.
Analysts are now noting that Ethereum may still be targeting over $260 in the near-term, despite incurring some bearish technical formations over the past 12 hours or so.
Developer incentivization: in-protocol contract author fee rebates (ETHResear.ch), Rated: AAA
When a contract is published, the author of the contract (ie. the account that published it) is stored. Every time a contract call finishes, X% (eg. 33%) of the burned fee associated with the gas executed inside the callee is transferred to the creator of the callee.
T be the previous total amount of ETH fees burned from gas spent executing a given contract with byte length L, and N be the burned fee associated with the gas spent executing a contract call to that contract. When that call finishes, transfer L∗(f(T+NL)−f(TL)) ETH to the author (notice that this is just f(T+N)−f(T) but stretched horizontally and virtually by a factor of L). In general, f should be a function with the following properties:
IOTA Unveils Decentralized and Autonomous Industry marketplace (BTC Manager), Rated: A
In an effort to promote interconnectivity between humans, machines and machine-readable contracts, the IOTA Foundation has introduced the Industry Marketplace, a decentralized and autonomous marketplace powered by the IOTA Tangle distributed ledger technology (DLT) according to a blog post on September 19, 2019.
Coinbase Challenger in Europe Change Launches Its Own Equity-Like Token (Coin Telegraph), Rated: A
Change, a cryptocurrency investment app in Europe, announced the launch of its own equity-like token. The fast-growing crypto company offers its services in more than 30 countries across Europe and is regarded as a major challenger to Coinbase.
China Aims to Replace Cash with Two-Tiered Digital Currency, Says New Binance Report (Toshi Times), Rated: AAA
China’s digital currency will reportedly come with 1:1 fiat backing
This report was released yesterday. Furthermore, it delivers some interesting insights on the People’s Bank of China central bank digital currency. First and foremost, the report suggests that the CBDC will receive backing by the fiat currency of China, the renminbi.
Put simply, this system will use a “first layer” which connects the People’s Bank of China with commercial banks. This will allow for issuance of the currency, as well as for “redemption” of it. Consequently, this layer will only see interaction from the PBoC and commercial banking actors.
However, the second layer will then see the commercial banks connect with individuals and the general retail market. Essentially, Binance predicts that individuals will be able to “withdraw” the currency from commercial banks.
Chinese insurance giant Ping An’s blockchain unit eyes US IPO in mid-November (The Block), Rated: A
OneConnect, the blockchain and fintech arm of China’s biggest insurer by market value Ping An, could launch an initial public offering (IPO) in New York in mid-November this year.
Chainlink CEO Talks Data Oracles (CoinDesk), Rated: AAA
Chainlink CEO Sergey Nazarov spoke at CoinDesk’s Invest: Asia 2019 conference in Singapore on current products and future developments for the Chainlink platform.
Mindtree launches blockchain merchant on-boarding for banks (Enterprise Times), Rated: A
Mindtree has released its Merchant On-Boarding solution for acquirer banks and payment service providers. This uses Hyperledger fabric blockchain technology to enable participating financial institutions which facilitate credit card or debit payments more quickly, seamlessly and securely to onboard merchants as customers.
South Korea’s CJ Corp to use Amazon blockchain to manage copyright information (Yahoo! Finance), Rated: A
South Korean conglomerate CJ Corp will utilise Amazon’s blockchain to help store and manage copyright information, according to local media outlet Yonhap.
Cryptocurrencies not considered financial asset (Korea Times), Rated: A
Cryptocurrencies, including the most popular and longest running Bitcoin, are neither legal tender nor a financial product as they are “not cash nor an equity instrument of another entity,” according to the latest decision by an international interpretative body of accounting practices.
According to the Korea Accounting Institute (KAI) Monday, the International Financial Reporting Interpretations Committee (IFRIC) made the decision after a meeting in London in June.
Is government’s plan to ban cryptocurrency warranted? (Vantage Asia), Rated: A
An inter-ministerial committee (IMC) chaired by Subhash Garg (former secretary of department of economic affairs), which examined issues related to virtual currencies recently, recommended a complete ban on cryptocurrency. The IMC, also submitted a draft bill, Banning of Cryptocurrency and Regulation of Official Digital Currency Act, 2019, to codify the ban.
The IMC has given several reasons for the proposed ban on cryptocurrency including, that it, 1) lacks intrinsic value and is prone to fluctuation, 2) operates on a distributed ledger technology platform without any central authority, 3) provides greater anonymity than regular mainstream payment methods and is vulnerable to money laundering and use in criminal activity and 4) is susceptible to fraud creating high risk for customers.
Oil and Gas Giant Pilots New Blockchain Platform From Modex (Coin Telegraph), Rated: A
On Sept. 19, Modex announced the release of its latest product, the Modex Blockchain Database platform (Modex BCDB) which simplifies the way companies can deploy blockchain technology projects.
Meet Monacoin, Japan’s cryptocurrency meme (Brave New Coin), Rated: A
Japan’s native cryptocurrency Monacoin (MONA) surged earlier this month, recording a day-over-day increase of 17% on September 14. MONA had rebounded sharply in oversold conditions after hitting fresh lows since August. The latest report issued by the Japan Virtual Currency Exchange Association (JVCEA) stated that the Japanese market was starting to buy MONA again.
Monacoin’s coin supply is 105,120,000, and new blocks are processed every 1.5 minutes, which is faster than Litecoin’s 2.5 minutes, and much faster than Bitcoin’s 10 minutes.
Monacoin reached a peak of $19.75 on December 6, 2017, during the altcoin boom market.
Over $350,000 worth of MONA is traded on a daily basis.
You can now top up your crypto wallet from all 7-Elevens in the Philippines (Gooruf), Rated: A
Abra announced Wednesday that customers can now top-up their Abra crypto wallets in all 6,000 7-Eleven stores in the Philippines.
‘Edge’ Tokens Now Easier to Earn with Self-Onboarding (Fintech Finance), Rated: B
Monetising spare computing capacity has been made simpler by Edge Network (Edge) who have launched the ability to easily self-onboard computing devices to their network and become a part of the future of the cloud.
Individuals and businesses are already a part of Edge and earning Edge tokens. With 271 nodes in over 60 countries, growing at a rate of about 10 each day and with self-onboarding now live, Edge is expecting more nodes to drive the growth of the network, allowing more people to benefit from monetising their spare computing power within devices.
Edge computing is anticipated to grow significantly alongside traditional clouds as 29 billion connected devices are expected to be in operation by 2022 and over 75 billion IoT devices by 2025 worldwide.
R3 partners with Wethaq to Offer a Shariah-Compliant Digital Market (TUNF), Rated: A
Wethaq, a Dubai based-fintech startup firm, recently signed a strategic partnership with R3 (R3 LLC) blockchain technology company. The aim of the partnership included developing R3’s Corda offering based platform for trading and issuing Sukuk securities.
Builders of the platform aim to tap the Islamic Capital Markets through implementing measures that ensure that it becomes compliant with the relevant Sharia Law.
The Marshall Islands’ national cryptocurrency is fascinating in so many ways (Yahoo! Finance), Rated: AAA
“The country is at serious risk of disappearing like Atlantis, covered over by the sea. The ambition behind the SOV cryptocurrency is to create a digital infrastructure so that if this catastrophic scenario where a country disappears happens, the citizens will still have their digital legacy and information safeguarded on a blockchain. I stress this point ‘safeguarded on a blockchain’, because the SOV is a cryptocurrency that will exist on a blockchain, not a central bank digital currency in a server farm on land.”
At the recent Invest: Asia cryptocurrency conference, the Marshall Islands announced that the SOV cryptocurrency would be rolled out slowly in a Timed-Release Monetary Issuance (TRMI). Since many of the finer details of the SOV are still being worked on by economists, technologists, and mathematicians, it won’t be the SOV that people are buying, but units that will later be exchanged for it.
BitHarp Introduces New Technology in Cryptocurrency Mining (PR Newswire), Rated: AAA
Lyre Miner and Harp Miner, two recently released cryptocurrency mining rigs from www.BitHarp.com ( BitHarp Group Limited ), are quickly turning out to be gamechangers in the global crypto market. Within their short lifespan, these two products have shown promises of revolutionizing this thriving industry by offering superfast ROI for seasoned miners as well as beginners looking to try their hand at crypto mining.
Lyre Miner: 335 TH/s for Bitcoin, 55 GH/s for Litecoin, 14 GH/s for Ethereum, and 9 TH/s for Dash
Harp Miner: 2000 TH/s for Bitcoin 300 GH/s for Litecoin, 75 GH/s for Ethereum, and 50 TH/s for Dash